Polka Dot Gel Nails How?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annasmum

Reaction score
I really want to have a go at some polka dot gel nails but not too sure on how to do it. How do you get the dots into your whites? For a french with polka dots do you put on dots first, cure and then cover everything with white and file it down before you do zone 2 & 3 with pink/clear?

You could put colored dots of gel on with dotting tool

Or if you want it to go right through so shows at back to tip or put forms on , do thin dots of the colered gel freeze cure so it's staying build the dots up cure , then cover with the base color ( black is good )
then cure and file through to the dots :)

Thank you. :hug: Off to the salon to do my nails now. Polka dots this time.:)

Ive done quite a few polka dot gel nails, and I have to say I actually use acrylic paint. I do my gel Pink and whites. finish file then add the dots before my top coat then cure.
Looks amazing.
Jen xxx

theres a tutorial for polka dot gel nails on my blogspot [link below]
i used a slightly different method that you might like. i think its in the march 2010 posts.

Thank you for your replies. Just did my nails but must be doing something wrong. I used a dotting tool to apply the different colour dots to the preped nail flash cured and then white over it and did zones 2 and 3, cured, wiped then filed. The dots came through when filing but pretty much all of them had a little air bubble/hole in them. I filled them with the coloured gel and it was fine after but little bit of a pain if I always have to do that. Any suggestions as to what I did wrong? Should I have cured the dots for the full 2 min before covering with white? The acrylic paint dots sound like a good idea. Less hassle when I redo the nails I suppose. I do like the fact that the outlines of the dots aren't crisp which I think you can only achieve with filing down of the inlaid dots.

If you go for the acrylic paint look something fun is to get a few diffrent sized drinking straws dip it into the paint and then on to a nail for a circle out line fun in lots of diffrent colors and sizes (also good for olympic nails ;))

You really need to use your brush to make the dots. That way they have some substance to them--remember they have to go all the way through the nail. Using a dotting tool sometimes leaves an "impression" like a bubble in the middle of the dot where the tool actually touched.

That's probably what happened then. :) Just need to find a willing victim to practice now. (Only have ten fingers - shame that)

That's probably what happened then. :) Just need to find a willing victim to practice now. (Only have ten fingers - shame that)

Get some arabella forms to work on they are re useable and clear so can use them with gel to ,
I use them to practice 3d and smiles lol

Sam Biddle: ARABELLA FORMS

If you take your cuticle bit with the rounded top and press it straight down into the finished nail it leaves a hole fill it up with your colored gel cure buff off the excess and yeah!!! If you have different sized cuticle bits it makes different sized dots

I've seen a very very popular nail tech do this way:

Prep as usual apply tip
apply the dots/balls of coloured gel
completely cap in clear and file..

You can even apply dots/balls of colour gel on the tip then completely cover the tip in a colour: so say they were pink dots, you could do the tip black then file over the black and the pink will come through then remove dust etc and build and cap as usual.

I really hope this makes sense i know i havn't explained it very well. If you pm me i will try find the photo step by step and send it x

Latest posts

Back