Poor application!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hol529

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am new to this site and have been a nail tech or just over a year now. My sis got married yesterday and i was talking to her friend on Friday night while doing the brides nails. She had gone to a salon that day to get some L&P Enhancements and the tech had etched her natural nails with an electric nail file, the enhancements had taken just 45 mins to do and the poor girl was in agony!!! I advised her take some paracetemol, she would not take them off because of the wedding the next day. She asked me if enhancements were supposed to hurt?
The tech could barely speak a word of english and they charged her £29. I was completely disgusted and had to tell u guys about it, would be interestered to know what you all think

Hol529

Hol This gets discussed on here a lot. Your friend could complain to Trading Standards as a tech has to carry out their job with a reasonable level of skill and care to their client. This seems not to have been the case. If she doesn't want to do this then just explain that No, having nail enhancements applied should not hurt, should not draw blood etc. (Sure, we have all nipped a client at some time, but the client should not be made to think this is de rigeur). It is a big problem in the industry and all we can really do as techs is behave profesionally, keep calm, educate the client on correct procedures and correct the poor workmanship in front of us. Other than that there is not a lot we can do. Hopefully the public will eventually get to realise that these places really aren't worth cutting a few quid for just to have nails, but it's such a relatively new industry in this country that we are all still learning!

Sassy Hassy said:
Hol This gets discussed on here a lot. Your friend could complain to Trading Standards as a tech has to carry out their job with a reasonable level of skill and care to their client. This seems not to have been the case. If she doesn't want to do this then just explain that No, having nail enhancements applied should not hurt, should not draw blood etc. (Sure, we have all nipped a client at some time, but the client should not be made to think this is de rigeur). It is a big problem in the industry and all we can really do as techs is behave profesionally, keep calm, educate the client on correct procedures and correct the poor workmanship in front of us. Other than that there is not a lot we can do. Hopefully the public will eventually get to realise that these places really aren't worth cutting a few quid for just to have nails, but it's such a relatively new industry in this country that we are all still learning!

Well said Sass - just waiting with abaited breath to Gigi's reply - will no doubt be controversial me thinks!

oey said:
Well said Sass - just waiting with abaited breath to Gigi's reply - will no doubt be controversial me thinks!

I don't think so, I know Gigi well and she doesn't court controversy, but she gives her point of view when asked. Have to say I respect her opinion over any other person I know in the nail industry. We are both in agreement that people should spend more time concentrating on their own business than what their competitors do.

Also there is a big difference between a tech that applies a set of nails that don't look so great, and a tech that inflicts pain on their client that they are in agony for hours afterwards.

oey said:
Well said Sass - just waiting with baited breath to Gigi's reply - will no doubt be controversial me thinks!

My reply is identical to Sassy's ... people should spend more time concentrating on their own business and not on what their competitors do.

If you think my posts are controversial then perhaps you point of view differs from mine (which you are entitled to do of course) but therefore, why am I dubbed controversial???
My replies are never meant to be controversial .. but I do not 'suffer fools gladly' and some of the threads and comments in them over the past few days have been frankly ... pathetic ... particularly in the overzealous manner in which people have reacted to issues that frankly should be of no concern them. IMHO

Why is it when an individual tells the truth about a situation they are classed as controversial or rude? Its straight talking (which I prefer) - i.e telling the truth and not beating around the bush.

As to the subject of critisising other Techs' work - we may as well have a t.v. programme 'nails from hell' to let it all out.
It doesnt make any of us fantastic Techs just by critisising other Techs' work.

All of us haven't been brave enough to post our work on here right - so who are we to judge?

We also know there shouldn't be any pain in the process of doing enhancements... If you know better, educate, improve and move on...

geeg said:
My reply is identical to Sassy's ... people should spend more time concentrating on their own business and not on what their competitors do.

If you think my posts are controversial then perhaps you point of view differs from mine (which you are entitled to do of course) but therefore, why am I dubbed controversial???
My replies are never meant to be controversial .. but I do not 'suffer fools gladly' and some of the threads and comments in them over the past few days have been frankly ... pathetic ... particularly in the overzealous manner in which people have reacted to issues that frankly should be of no concern them. IMHO

I totally agree Gigi and I dont think my point of view is different from yours - but in the same respect I think that we seam to be putting alot of doom and gloom on the threads as of late (including our replys) and we need to lighten everybodys mood instead of being like the grim reaper! Perhaps the world of Nail Geek would be a better place to be if we talked about some good things as well and not just ranting and raving (including ranting and raving back at those that rant and rave - if that makes sense)!

oey said:
I totally agree Gigi and I dont think my point of view is different from yours - but in the same respect I think that we seam to be putting alot of doom and gloom on the threads as of late (including our replys) and we need to lighten everybodys mood instead of being like the grim reaper! Perhaps the world of Nail Geek would be a better place to be if we talked about some good things as well and not just ranting and raving (including ranting and raving back at those that rant and rave - if that makes sense)!

It is debatable now whether this thread is going slightly off topic.

It would be nice to have a touchy feely, lovey dovey site where everyone is lovely to each other - but I am afraid life is not like that.

If someone for example posts a picture in the gallery asking for feedback - it does not do that person any good if we all say they are really lovely, wow I wish I could do nails like that etc. etc. if what we really think is they are a bit thick, a bit wobbly, smiles too high etc etc. Which is the better learning scenario for the technician.

If we dont like straight taking advice then dont ask the questions.

Posted with love and hugs :Love: :hug:

naturalnails said:
It is debatable now whether this thread is going slightly off topic.

It would be nice to have a touchy feely, lovey dovey site where everyone is lovely to each other - but I am afraid life is not like that.

If someone for example posts a picture in the gallery asking for feedback - it does not do that person any good if we all say they are really lovely, wow I wish I could do nails like that etc. etc. if what we really think is they are a bit thick, a bit wobbly, smiles too high etc etc. Which is the better learning scenario for the technician.

If we dont like straight taking advice then dont ask the questions.

Posted with love and hugs :Love: :hug:

Again fiona i agree - but when the advice is constructive that I cant see a problem but when it is destructive then that is where the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

But as that is not what this thread is about I think we need to give Ho529 the advice she is after.

Hol529
I think that you should be proud that you have been asked to sort this problem out by asking your advice - at least this lady now knows how a good set of enhancement should be done. Has this lady decided what to do with her nails - leave them on or take them off?

Enhancements should not hurt, but i think shrinkage may have also added to her discomfort - this is a broad sweeping statement
It is never nice when we are faced with dodgy nails that we wish we could have done initially or fix up. The good old what if sufaces.......

As for the secondary subject of this thread that has emerged........

I have probably replied to this in another thread without even reading this one lol

so just briefly i will repeat myself.......

I am really over the "oh my god i can't believe these nails" factor that is emerging in more recent threads.
I like threats that identify a problem and the solutions are offered, or a thread from which we can learn something.
I like differing views on products and techniques
I am not really interested in what the NSS are doping in their salons or in bagging another tech for whatever reason.
I am not interested in OTT responses taken out of context

So i don't mean to contribute to the hijacking of this thread but i thought i would put my two bobs worth in

Latest posts

Back