Portraying a relaxing nail room....oils? fragrance?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole333

Reaction score
I asked a question in the consumer forum for the skin geeks, but unfortunately nobody has replied, so thought I would direct this straight to my fellow nail geeks instead.

Basically, I love the smell of the room when I have a Dermalogica facial and wondered if any of their smells were available for retail to use in my nail room.

I feel that this, along with some specific relaxing music (ichill is your friend) would be very much enjoyed by my clients, if they are anything like me and it all adds to portray a relaxing environment and experience.

So what do you use to present your nail room in this way?

Great question, I'd love to know this too ... Sorry I can't help but I'm eager to read replies! X

Yes i also love the smell of a room when I've just done a facial or aromathrapy massage. Id struggle masking the smell of acrylic i think. Do you use acrylic? Maybe some nice candles? I know lots of skincare companies retail candles as well. I've never used them but Im sure they would smell nice!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Yes i also love the smell of a room when I've just done a facial or aromathrapy massage. Id struggle masking the smell of acrylic i think. Do you use acrylic? Maybe some nice candles? I know lots of skincare companies retail candles as well. I've never used them but Im sure they would smell nice!

Candles, really! here is a link to what happened to a woman last week. http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/187220-salon-blaze-burns-birthday-woman.html. How about trying a plug-in air freshener. X :)

I have a Honey & Chocolate candle, made by Glade I think and EVERYONE has commented on how nice my summerhouse smells when they come. Doesn't smell like honey and chocolate but it is gorgeous :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

It's all about common sense really. Don't leave candles unattended, make sure they're on a flame resistant surface and obviously don't put it near flammable liquids!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

you should try an oil burner with a base oil and add some lavander or ylang ylang to it!

You can get oil burners that are heated by a light bulb rather than a flame.
I have one at home, because of kids running around, so not dangerous

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

I would urge all you candle and oil burner users to check your monomer regulations for use, storage, and hazchem symbols etc. It really is a terrible idea to have naked flames where monomer is being used, because not only is the liquid highly flammable but so are the fumes. Just because you've never had a fire before doesnt mean you wont in the future and is that really a risk you want to take just to have a nice smell in your salon (which is probably masked by the monomer anyway) when there are so many other safe ways to make your salon smell nice?

Also eve Taylor make some lovely oils for burners.
I love hug in a bottle.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

I used to be quite into essential oils and to be honest, I don't really enjoy the smell of lavender.

So far I have used my L'Occitane fragrance cones, the vanilla ones that you light at the end and they just burn down with no flame. I do this prior to arrival though, not in the room, just in the house to give a hint.

Although I love the smell, it is not meant for relaxation. I really want that Dermalogica smell! :sad:

Yes i mean obviously don't leave a candle unattended or within close proximity of monomer. Like someone else said its really just common sense. And all rooms with the use of such chemicals should be well ventilated anyway. If you don't feel you can do this then i wouldnt recommend candles!!
I believe spa find do some lovely candles, or the oil burner is another good idea!
Xx

If you are worried about fires, then why not try the plug in fragrances. Or if you use a wall light etc, a single drop of a essence or similar on the bulb will give of a nice smell too. Much safer, especially if children tend to come into the salon. Dont drop the fragrance on the bulb when it is hot though. Put it on before using the bulb, Or wipe it on with a cotton bud or something. HTH

I love the smell of the room after facials too!! One thing that I do is put the oil I use in facial onto a cotton pad & place ontop of the radiator. Obviously only in winter or when rads are on, smells divine!! Plug ins are fab too xx

I recognised one of the oils in my Liz Earle shampoo, so I may go into the shop and see what they have in the way of room fragrance. Not exactly the same as Dermalogica, but as close as I may be able to get.

HI,

I always have 100% pure essential oils burning in my salon. I hate synthetic smells! I went to a real estate the other day that had a vanilla plug-in in and I had to get out quick smart. I think they smell cheap.

Are you a dermalogica stockist? get the soothing or purifying additive and add a couple of drops of that to water in a burner... get an electric on if you are worried about candles. It is a gorgeous smell. Otherwise go to your local health food store and see if they have any pre-blended oils that you like. Just make sure they are 100% pure essential oil as then you also receive the health benefits along with a gorgeous smelling space.

I'm not a Dermalogica stockist, no. But I use it myself and also have just restarted my facials (hence the thread).

My original question was to see if they sold what seems to be, to me anyway, a signature smell to the public so that I can try and recreate that beautiful and relaxing smell to my nail clients.

Great thread! Although scenting your room is fab, it is not the only way to create a serene environment. Think of the 5 senses: hearing, sight, touch, smell and taste.

Hearing
As someone else said - relaxing music, little to no background noise, if you live near a main road try to drown out the sound of cars, or anything else that might be distracting to a relaxing client.

Sight
Make your treatment room visually inviting, think about colour, layout & setup, plants, water feature, and as Planky said - candles. They really add a sense of warmth, relaxation, and say to the client 'this is somewhere you can come away from your busy life and just forget the world' (haha, lyrics from a song - oops!) :wink2:

Touch
Soft towels, good room temperature, air con/heating machine, heated blanket, I'm sure there are many more, but this is as far as my sunday-morning-brain will allow me to go :lick:

Smell
Scented candles, essential oils, good soap in the bathroom, and generally I find the smell of products fill the room anyway! Make sure the smell of hot food or anything similar can't be smelt from the room :D

Taste
Have tea, coffee, mints and even cakes available to clients - in my experience clients seem to be very impressed by cakes... big winner!

Anyway this is just my take on it - hopefully its useful to someone! :lol:

The five senses are indeed important Mooey!

I just wish I could fulfill the smell!

Not getting anywhere fast.

The five senses are indeed important Mooey!

I just wish I could fulfill the smell!

Not getting anywhere fast.

I can't remember if anyone mentioned this, but have you tried an oil burner? They seem to be the norm for salons & spas these days.

Latest posts

Back