Posters informing public against artificial nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbiekc84

Reaction score
Whilst changing my little boy in the toilets of our local Asda I noticed a poster advising on preventing the spread of germs and how to wash hands correctly.
The first stated to wear your nails short, the second advised against wearing of any artificial nails. I was so annoyed by this, surely there is no medical evidence to back this up? Or am I missing something?

Kelly x

One thing I have noticed myself over time, those who wear enhancements tend to take better care of their hands and nails than those who don't.

Nothing that a good wash with soap and water wont kill,
if i see any my asda i will be taking them down and putting them in the bin, as if adults don't know how to wash their hands
:evil:

OMG How can they say/advertise comments like that?

You will always get people who are uneducated with this. That is why we need to educate them.

It is not the enhancements that cause the damage, but some Nail Techs or the people wearing them.

I too would take it down, put it in the bin.......:)

Well, what does it tell you when hospitals disallow enhancements? They believe they harbor bacteria. It's hard to say...I suppose SOME enhancements (ones not taken care of by the technician and wearer) may carry bacteria, so people are just making a generalization. Better to be safe than sorry in hospitals though, I suppose.

I am gonna investigate mine tomorrow while im there and if there is one I will take it to customer service and give them a good talking to LOL

I am gonna investigate mine tomorrow while im there and if there is one I will take it to customer service and give them a good talking to LOL

And give them a good :Grope: clip around the ear from us geeks ...lol:) x

Well, what does it tell you when hospitals disallow enhancements? They believe they harbor bacteria. It's hard to say...I suppose SOME enhancements (ones not taken care of by the technician and wearer) may carry bacteria, so people are just making a generalization. Better to be safe than sorry in hospitals though, I suppose.

This has been discussed on here many times,
you cant wear them when you go into hospital because they need to see the natural nail plate to be able to observe your circulation and it interferes with the monitor that they attach to your finger,
staff cant wear them because they may scratch someone or worse still if one was to break at work it could end up any where,
same in the food industry.
If you wash your hands regularly and use a soft nail brush to clean under the nails when washing then they are as clean as any natural nail :hug:

This has been discussed on here many times,
you cant wear them when you go into hospital because they need to see the natural nail plate to be able to observe your circulation and it interferes with the monitor that they attach to your finger,
staff cant wear them because they may scratch someone or worse still if one was to break at work it could end up any where,
same in the food industry.
If you wash your hands regularly and use a soft nail brush to clean under the nails when washing then they are as clean as any natural nail :hug:

My sister is a surgical charge nurse here at our hospital and it is not because she may scratch someone or one might fall off into a patient (gloves are worn about 100% of the time around a patient)...it is the "bacteria and disease harboring" issue. Straight from the horses mouth, as they say, because she has to take her enhancements off as soon as she started working there. She worked at an elderly care home previous to the hospital, and they frowned on it, but didn't enforce it.

As far as patients having them...they can put the oxygen monitor on toes and it works just fine. They generally don't make patients remove nails before surgery anymore.

I will admit, though, I have a lot of clients, and my enhancement-wearing ones collect a lot more gunk under theirs than shorter, natural nails. And it's not because they don't wear gloves when gardening and cleaning. And it's not dirt that comes off with a manicure brush.

It's just a bummer, because as someone said earlier, clients who see a nail tech every few weeks take better care of their hands and nails than most other people, enhancement or not.

Latest posts

Back