PR - Getting your salon in the media

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e-beauty

Reaction score
Hey geeks

am thinking of inviting my local news paper to my open night,...

do any of you use PR? what would you say are the benefits? if it didnt work you, then please state why.

:hug:

Hi ya when i opened my salon i got in contact with the papers etc and they said in less i had some one famous or doing some think for charity they would not come out !!!

If The Press Will Only Come Our For Someone Famous Or A Charity Event, Why Not Do Something On Them Lines.

Charity Profit Night
Charity Raffle
Charity Sponsorship

If They Will Not Come Out On The Night Take Plenty Of Photos And Then Pass The Information Onto Them With Some Notes On The Event.

Failing That Why Note Invite "victoria Beckham" I Belive She Loves Beauty Treatments...lol

If The Press Will Only Come Our For Someone Famous Or A Charity Event, Why Not Do Something On Them Lines.

Charity Profit Night
Charity Raffle
Charity Sponsorship

If They Will Not Come Out On The Night Take Plenty Of Photos And Then Pass The Information Onto Them With Some Notes On The Event.

Failing That Why Note Invite "victoria Beckham" I Belive She Loves Beauty Treatments...lol

A charity night is a fab idea - not only are you rasing your profile and raising money for charity you are promoting your business.

You could offer mini treatments e.g. mini manicures and charge a small amount for this service which would introduce new clients and give you a chance to speak to them about all the treatments/products you offer and raise money for charity in the process?

Good luck with what ever you decide to do!

I got a half page advert in my two local papers when I first opened...however it was at a cost!

They don't do nothing for free round here!!! I had a photograph with a description of myself, the salon and what it was all about etc.

It cost over £700 for it to appear once in the two papers!!!!! I did get some clientele from it but not enough to cover the cost of the ad. I gain more from leaflet dropping however I felt it needed to be done as I was a new business.

I wouldn't advertise in the paper again unless it was free!! I recently attended a wedding fayre where I had a stand to show off my business which cost £150. For this cost I also got a free ad in the paper which would have cost that on its own!!!! So it was well worth it!

Hope this helps, good look with your quest!

You could always get a Victoria Beckham 'looky-likey' if you cant get the real thing. :lol:

But yeh - contact a charity - and donate all the money you make on the opening night.

Thanks for the great ideas :hug:

You need to build up a rapport with some beauty journalists inluding local mags papers and on-line, I get plenty of coverage because they get a monthly treatment at the salon, you only need three and you will find yourself cropping up plenty of articles. You should also submit regular press releases and articles to papers magazines websites, you will soon find they start contacting you. Also contact your local radio station they are always looking for people for afternoon interest programmes, these are the avenues I have travelled and found them very profitable. Good luck and if you need any help with writing articles/press releases contact me and i will happily send you some of mine.

When I had my salon, I invited a local journalist to try one of my most luxurious treatments. She loved it and became a regular.:green:
At the same time I did a competition for the paper, 1st prize a course of 5 non-sugical facelift treatments, 2nd prize a Guinot Luxury facial tailored to their needs. 2 x 3rd prizes of a St tropez tan or a Jessica luxury manicure.
I ended up with a full page spread in the local paper.:green:
I got lots of customers who read the piece, I'd got an excellent rapport with the journalist and she did a fantastic piece for me.
People will read the copy in local papers, but not so often the adds, do something (like a comp and a free treatment) for the paper and they should do something for you.
Hope this helps.

When I had my salon, I invited a local journalist to try one of my most luxurious treatments. She loved it and became a regular.:green:
At the same time I did a competition for the paper, 1st prize a course of 5 non-sugical facelift treatments, 2nd prize a Guinot Luxury facial tailored to their needs. 2 x 3rd prizes of a St tropez tan or a Jessica luxury manicure.
I ended up with a full page spread in the local paper.:green:
I got lots of customers who read the piece, I'd got an excellent rapport with the journalist and she did a fantastic piece for me.
People will read the copy in local papers, but not so often the adds, do something (like a comp and a free treatment) for the paper and they should do something for you.
Hope this helps.

As said above, quite a successful way to do it is to offer a competition to run through the paper. That way they are more likely to come to the opening night, and hopefully they might do a small follow up story after the winner has received their treatments.

Sometimes a nice way to do this is to have the competition as a ''nominate somebody to receive the prize'' where people nominate either themselves or somebody they know to win. These usually make for good press, as effectively it is usually somebody very deserving of a treat that wins the prize.
:hug:

Latest posts

Back