Pre-blend or not????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have also recently done my creative foundation training at salisbury. We have been to to preblend by taking the well down by about half on a velocity tip and about 3/4 on formation then to blend over the top. The reason we were given for this is that the mor acrylic that covers the natural nail, the stronger the enhancement. I would imagine also that as we are newbies the more we can avoid filing the natural nail the better. Those of you who don't pre-blend the well area - are you blending it away one it has been stuck to the natural nail?

I have learnt both,pre blending is great if you're short of time but usually if the tip has been correctly sized and fitted then blending on the nail is a doddle and you should have no problems.I can honestly say that I think the majority of my problems were because I was fitting the wrong type of tip for the nail shape,hence making work for myself when it came to the blending.I think at the end of the day,it's down to personal preference and no harm can come doing it either way.

** I was just thinking this yesterday when I watched another nail student (who graduates in a week) doing a new set. She spent extra time Pre-blending then after she applied the tips blended a bunch more spending yet More time ?! To me that's wasting extra time (as mentioned by others here) - I've never preblended the ones I've put on my self (and that's Alot) :lol: A light buffing once their on is all I would think they need :wink2:

If you are relatively new to nails, I don't recommend pre-blending as it gives the tip a cloudy appearance and you cannot see if you have air bubbles.

I don't see anything wrong with pre-blending tips if you are more advanced, but generally, decent quality tips don't require it.

I also have to ask a question. I have come across Creative trained technicians and they were using tip with a v shape in them. They were taught to cut them with scissors to basically cut the well area out. Why would they be taught to do that? I thought you had tips that were already that shape?

Normally we teach beginners with full well tips as you find that they often over blend.
Once more advanced, they can move on to what we call 'half moon' tips.

Gina :)
Professionails Hand & Body Care Products

The Eclipse tip that has a V cut in the tip, is a high arched tip.

For those with flatter nail shapes, you can make any tip go flatter by 'notching' it in a similar way to the Eclipse tip which is pre notched. This is a great technique to use with any type of tip when you want to help it 'ease' out a bit. Didn't you know this trick Gina??

i was taught to blend when applied too, but i still find it difficult to blend completely without the well breaking away and crumbling, i use a 240 and go gently but bits just come away....
sandy x

i was taught to blend when applied too, but i still find it difficult to blend completely without the well breaking away and crumbling, i use a 240 and go gently but bits just come away....
sandy x
If the well breaks away and crumbles, it is because the tip has air underneath it. One of the problems of preblending is that you can't apply as much pressure when applying the tip. Less pressure =s a weaker bond and a thin layer of air under the tip. Try it without preblending and use enough adhesive to get a good bond. Blending will be allot easier for you.

If the well breaks away and crumbles, it is because the tip has air underneath it. One of the problems of preblending is that you can't apply as much pressure when applying the tip. Less pressure =s a weaker bond and a thin layer of air under the tip. Try it without preblending and use enough adhesive to get a good bond. Blending will be allot easier for you.
Gigi - this why I love you to bits - you can identify the cause and provide a solution in a click of a finger - you really inspire me :green: :hug:

Gigi - this why I love you to bits - you can identify the cause and provide a solution in a click of a finger - you really inspire me :green: :hug:

It's called old age and experience !!! :lol:

The problem with pre-blending is that you weaken the well area of the tip. This wouldn't necessarily be a problem, but in order to get a really strong bond of the tip to the nail you need to apply pressure ... pressure also is what sets the adhesive. When the tip is thinned out too much by pre- blending, you can't apply enough pressure to either set the adhesive or to get a good strong bond. This is why many get more problems than they solve when they pre-blend tips.

Best thing in my opinion to just learn the skills to blend tips the way they were meant to be and without causing damage and then you won't have these problems. Besides pre-blending tips is so boring to do!!

Tell me about it! She says something that is so simple and you read it and it just clicks into place! and you think how much sense it makes! The other week someone asked about getting the perfect apex, and she said 'the bead you use for zone 2 will always be the biggest of the 3 beads' since reading that it, it made so much sense & i have been getting good apexes since! Its so simple & quite obvious yet you don't think of it yourself! Thanks geeg!

Latest posts

Back