Press Release

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Risabel

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone advise on how you go about doing a press release. I am not sure what to write and then who do you send it to in the media? I have not done this before and not at all sure :cool:

Thanks
Risabel

Hi

Can anyone advise on how you go about doing a press release. I am not sure what to write and then who do you send it to in the media? I have not done this before and not at all sure :cool:

Thanks
Risabel

ive wondered about this also..hopefully someone knows

Hi

When I placed an advert for my new business, the new business editor contacted me to do an editorial on me.

It was really good and I got new customers from it, but I did have to keep hassling them to do it for me :biggrin:

Hi,
A press release is the delivery of information or the communication of something news worthy to the press. These include information such as:
Just opened
Moved premises
Added a new product line
Launching a new treatment.

Make sure you write your press release in third person (she, he) rather than first person (I, we). You then submit this information to any local press, newspapers or magazines, and if they think the information is something their readers will want to know about they will publish it for free, this is then free advetising for your business and a press release is seen as a more credible form of advertising!

Last edited:
If you can, try to submit some pictures with your Press Release. If the publication can include them, it will make your piece stand out more.

Write down the main points you want to make, and build the Press Release around this. That way, you will not deviate from the point. If your Press Release is for the general public rather than trade, try not to use too many trade terms, e.g. L&P, as there is a chance the public will not know what you mean, and your message will be lost.

Thanks for all you advise -I will try and put some words together:lol:

Or you could do as I do & get someone to do it for you :). I trained as a beauty therapist, not a writer, & I'd much rather pay someone to do this for me & do a far better job than i could & for me to get on with something that I am good at!

I can give you details of my person if you so wish

Hi, Sarah, can you pass me the details pls? I've been contacted by a lady who does PR and her fee was £600 -£1000 which I thought was way out of my budget. She said she could generate an amount of business that will be a lot over that amount by writing editorials in local newspaper.

July

Hi, Sarah, can you pass me the details pls? I've been contacted by a lady who does PR and her fee was £600 -£1000 which I thought was way out of my budget. She said she could generate an amount of business that will be a lot over that amount by writing editorials in local newspaper.

July

Wowee, that's lot. I don't get charged anywhere near as much as that!!!!

Have PM'd you

I wonder if anyone has any samples of press releases we could look at to give us a better idea of the kind of information to put etc..im interested in doing this too but not sure how to go about it all.

This is one I had done:

PRESS RELEASE

For immediate release: 13th October 2009

LOCAL BEAUTY SALON SAYS “THINK PINK”

DURING BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH

Enjoying a beauty therapy at your local salon is always a well deserved treat for any woman. But for women recovering from breast cancer, the beauty salon is also a place of sanctuary and welcome respite during tough times. She may well arrive feeling washed out, tense or stressed. But after an hour or two of gentle beauty therapy, chances are she’ll emerge not only looking happier but feeling more refreshed too.

That’s because the relationship between a beauty therapist and her regular clients can be very special when it develops over the years. Together they will enjoy easy chat and laughter, genuine interest in one another’s news, health and wellbeing, and an impartial listening ear when things aren’t going so well.

When someone is diagnosed with breast cancer, their world can feel as if it’s falling apart. That’s when local support groups are vital. Sarah Cogin-Smith, owner of Looks Beautiful, is proud to announce her salon’s support for Breast Foot Forward, a Suffolk-based breast cancer support group that meets regularly in relaxed social settings such as a local pub and a village hall.

Sarah explained, “Lots of our clients over the years have experienced or supported someone with breast cancer. This disease has touched all of our lives in some way. Having an hour or so to listen to our clients as we offer them beauty treatments is a privilege that comes with this career. But during October (Breast Cancer Awareness Month) our team wanted to let more people know about Breast Foot Forward and how this great local group offers free and confidential support to anyone affected by breast cancer in Suffolk.”

In keeping with its support for Breast Cancer Awareness Month and that Campaign’s association with the colour pink, Looks Beautiful is offering its clients a special pink-themed treatment package, and will donate £5 to Breast Foot Forward for every “Think Pink Treatment” booked during October. The “Think Pink Treatment” package is on offer at a special £45 (usual price: £85) and includes the following:

Rose & Geranium Exfoliating Body Scrub,

Grapeseed, Rose & Geranium Body Massage

Rose& Geranium Body Butter Wrap

Tingling Yet Relaxing Scalp Massage

ENDS

NOTES
Breast Foot Forward is a group of women with personal experience of breast cancer. We offer one another voluntary support through a confidential listening ear in a relaxed social setting. We meet on the 3rd Wednesday of each month, 7 – 9.30 pm. For more details about Breast Foot Forward and its next free meeting location, please call Helen on 07974 502847 or 01473 724902.

October is national Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Some facts about Breast Cancer (source: Cancer Research UK):

Breast cancer is now the most common cancer in the UK.
In the UK in 2006 more than 45,500 women were diagnosed with breast cancer, that’s around 125 women a day.
Each year around 300 men in the UK are diagnosed with breast cancer.
Breast cancer incidence rates have increased by more than 50% over the last twenty-five years.
In the last ten years, female breast cancer incidence rates in the UK have increased by 6%.
8 in 10 breast cancers are diagnosed in women aged 50 and over.
In England the NHS breast screening programme diagnoses around 10,000 cases of breast cancer each year.
The NHS breast screening programme in England saves around 1,400 lives each year.

Also if you google/bing 'how to write a press release' loads of info will come up.

Last edited:
my fella is a media consultant, and regularly puts together press releases, if you still need help, pm me and i will bribe him for you!:)

Latest posts

Back