primer problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mieke

Reaction score
I recenlty started with a new gel brand "magnetic" which works very well.
It,s a primerless gel but i wanted to use primer anyway for lift prone customers. when i dehydrated the nail and let it dry to a chalky white i apply a small amount of primer but it doesn,t dry white. Instead the nail gets its color back without i putted to much primer on it.

Is this normal? I always thought that all primers should dehydrate the nail giving visible result? I am waiting for my customer "on which i used the primer" to come back next week so i can see if it gives any problems but it really worries me !!!

Anybody experience with this type of primer?
:rolleyes:

have you used magnetic primer, if so contact your distributer they will advise this should not happen. If another primer then shame on you you should know better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used Soft bond primer from magnetic. I don,t intermix products from different brands.
But i will directly contact them, that,s a better idea.
Thx for the feedback.

hi Hun i use nsi attraction so I'm not sure if its the same but when i put the dehydrator on it drys chalky like you said ,and then i add the primer but mine doesn't dry back chalky it goes back to the normal nail colour . it look like the nail is wet till the primer drys hth

Oh thx for the info! Makes me feel more at ease now.
I just got totally confused when that happened to me when i applied it. After that i started to freak out that something was wrong and that the nails wouldn,t stay.
Thx for easing my mind :hug:

:green: hi i also use nsi primer and i found that the nail goes back to the natural colour when i put it on. i think it just depends on the product you use i suppose? im glad someone else mentioned it cause i got a bit worried then lol!:green:

:green: hi i also use nsi primer and i found that the nail goes back to the natural colour when i put it on. i think it just depends on the product you use i suppose? im glad someone else mentioned it cause i got a bit worried then lol!:green:

mine does the same too
do you use acid free primer in nsi? or acid primer ? and can anyone tell me the difference , thanks:)

My primer that I use with gel does not bring the nail a chalker white it just goes on the nail and stays clear, I am not sure if all the gel brand primers are like this ??? When I have used primers with l&p then yes I have got the white look but not with the gel ones. Hths

Thx a lot everybody for clearing up this primer frenzy.
Good to know that this is a normal phenomena :green:

the nsi primer are acid free as for what is the difference i think the acid free ones are kinder to your nails

the nsi primer are acid free as for what is the difference i think the acid free ones are kinder to your nails

thank you for sharing:) I just wondered why they put the acid ones on, as they sounded harsh ,

Acid based primers dry to a chalky finish, you will find that acid free for non acid don't they are more like a sticky back plastic

Acid primers tend to dry to a chalky finish and acid free (non-acid) primers leave a shine.

As far as I am aware the acid free primer encourages a chemical bond to the nail, and the acid primer sort of micro etches the nail aiding the bond.

If I am wrong please somebody correct me.
HTH

I contacted the magnetic company explained my primer crisis and they said the same thing as what has been confirmerd by all you other geeklings.
So thx everybody for your words of wisdome. :hug:

Magnetic primer does not actually dehydrate the nail plate.. it actually acts as a "sticky" layer for further adhesion of your product so what you are seeing is correct...

Acid primers create a hydrogen bond between the nail plate and the primer and a covalent bond between the primer and the product.

Acid free primers create a covalent bond between both.

Acid primers are in no way dangerous or detrimental to the health of the natural nail and surrounding skin when used correctly.

Yeah ideed, i contacted magnetic about my little primer problem on which they replied exactly the same.

I appreciate all your wise words and thanks for comming to my rescue on this primer issue.

:hug:

Latest posts

Back