Problem Landlord

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemsie1983

Reaction score
Hi geeks I have a bit of a problem with a place I used to rent - wondered if anyone could give me any advice.

I rented a flat last yr from a private landlord no prob's paid all rent on time etc etc moved out and called him in July 06 for my bond back he said he would send a cheque as there were no probs.

Anyway I still haven't received this cheque, I have rang him and wrote a letter not a nasty one but a firm one saying cough up. I gave him until 31st Jan too contact me - no contact, had a missed call from a bizarre mobile number last night at 9pm but I was at the footy and missed the call, I didn't ring it back as there was no msg and at 9pm on the last day he has too contact me when he has had over 3 weeks in my opinion is too late to be ringing me.

So now whats the next step I really need this cash. its £540! Do I try too take him too small claims or shall I get my solicitor on him?

It annoys me because I spent a whole day cleaning the dam place and he verbally said that he would be returning my bond. I'm worried that I won't have a leg to stand on though as we didn't go through an agent!

Any advice would be great! :hug:

Ring cab hun,they will be able to point you in the right direction and help you get your money back x

Have you tried Citizens Advice for this kind of thing....they won't actually handle it themselves, but will tell you the best way to go about doing it, and what actions you need to take.

Edited to add: OK Becki, you're a faster typer than me! lol x

Thanks for your advice geeks went to the CAB @ lunch and they have advised me too go to a small claims court! Lets hope the little $&*t pays up!

what about the police? Is that theft if he has already agreed to give it back?

Why not write him a letter 'Without Prejudice' which will prompt him into paying, as you are showing him that you are serious but you are being fair by giving him the chance... then you could him 14 days... or just jump straight into the court procedure...

.. good luck. He owes you xx

Why not write him a letter 'Without Prejudice' which will prompt him into paying, as you are showing him that you are serious but you are being fair by giving him the chance... then you could him 14 days... or just jump straight into the court procedure...

.. good luck. He owes you xx

Yeah I already wrote him a letter 3 weeks ago saying cough up not a nasty one but a firm one and he hasn't.

God I hate hassle, why are people so naughty!

Yeah I already wrote him a letter 3 weeks ago saying cough up not a nasty one but a firm one and he hasn't.

God I hate hassle, why are people so naughty!

Did you give him a time limit though?

Did you give him a time limit though?

Yeah i sent the letter on 9th Jan and gave him untill the 31st Jan so I figure if I go to small claims on Mon, if he did send the cheque within the time limit then it will've arrived by then.

Yeah i sent the letter on 9th Jan and gave him untill the 31st Jan so I figure if I go to small claims on Mon, if he did send the cheque within the time limit then it will've arrived by then.

I'm sorry.. have I made you repeat yourself? :hug:

Yeah small claims all the way then!

www.moneyclaimonline.gov.uk - can't you claim 8% interest now too.. daily :lol:

It costs £120 but you're claiming it back off him anyways xx

I'm sorry.. have I made you repeat yourself? :hug:

Yeah small claims all the way then!

www.moneyclaimonline.gov.uk - can't you claim 8% interest now too.. daily :lol:

It costs £120 but you're claiming it back off him anyways xx

Ohhh thanks for that link! and your help :)

Been in a similar situation where I'd paid rent, deposit and on moving day changed my mind as it was in a right state and all the things the landlord had agreed to be there wernt - main one a bed. I had just turned 18, so I think she was trying to take the mick a bit.

Anyway it was through a letting agents and I took her to small claims court to get my money back with a copy of her letting agents inventory, which included all the mould and dirt.
Didnt see all this stuff on the 2 minute show round by the previous tenants and it was full of furniture.

She kept saying it was clean just not to my standards, this really got the judges back up as he said it's either clean or not clean! He also wasnt impressed that she had no evidence like the inventory she pays the letting agents to do but I did.

My advice would be write one more letter giving him 5 working days to pay or you will take it to small claims court.
I know you dont want to give him more time but trust me if he pays up this way it will be a lot less stressful then going to court.
Also keep all copies off correspondance and avoid any verbal contact.

Once you fill out the court forms they have something like 28 days to respond and then they can fill things out which adds more time to it, so if he knows the system he could drag it out.

Good luck hun.

Latest posts

Back