Problem with New Client...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey-moo

Reaction score
I had a new client come into the salon last week, and she wanted sculpted glitter enhancements in L&P. I applied them, filled in a record card, which she then signed and agreed that she was happy with them. A few days later, she came back in and asked if I could change them, because she’d changed her mind about the colour. I soaked them off for her, showed her that her natural nails underneath were healthy and undamaged, and then started to apply some more in a different colour...

She changed her mind half way through! :eek: I soaked off the ones I had put on for her, and while they were soaking off applied the other hand in the next colour. In total I had mixed 3 different colours for the tips. She had been told previously that she would be charged for soaking them off, but when she came to pay, she only gave me the money for the nails, and not the soak off. When I told her that it was extra because of the soak off (and the fact that I’d had to soak them off twice, not just once!) and the extra product that I’d used, she got a bit moody (for want of a better word!) but she did sign her record card again to say that she was happy with her nails. She text my colleague later on that evening to say that 3 had broken off!
I know that my nails do not break off just like that. She works in a bar and had pulled one off by accident the first time she had had them done. She did, however, say that SHE had done it.
Would you replace them for free? I’ve told her a refund is not a possibility, because of the cost products I use (CND) in relation to what I charged her.

Sorry to rant on at you! Just so frustrated as we are a new salon, but I’m not new to the industry, so I know that my work is solid and done the way I was trained by CND!!

No way would I offer this client a refund.
IMHO it sounds like she is not happy that she has had to pay the extra money and is trying to get some money back. The usual something for nothing.
I would explain to her that she needs to come in so you can see the nails before she damages them even more, We can tell if a client has been rough on their own nails or not.
I would check them then make a decision as to whether you will repair them for free or not, you could advise her that you would do them this time as a goodwill gesture but as a general rule all breakages must be paid for by the client.

You need to inform the client that she signed the card stating before she left that she was happy with her nails, she then made the decision that she didnt like them not you therefore she has to pay for work done. I would also advise her that your work is not guaranteed once she has left the salon it is down to her to look after them.
Dont let it get to you hun, there are many clients out there who unfortuanatly try to pull a fast one but when you have been in the industry and you know your stuff you can tell the difference between whats natural damge or what has had a helping hand or teeth.:hug:
Jen
xxx

Yeah, that's what I thought... I always give new clients a home care leaflet (which is stated on record cards) and tell them to look after their nails, and advise them what to do to care for them. The first time she came in and she had ripped off a nail I could see that it had come off with some real force as it had torn the top of her nail plate!! Goodness only knows how she had done it as usually they break, as we all know!

Thanks for your advice anyhoo, I shall make sure I'm firm but fair!

Clients are always trying to pull a fast one for a freebie! Stand your ground otherwise you will set the standard for the rest of time plus she is gonna slate you to her friends whatever you do so best to clench her money in your hand tightly!!! :)

bloody cheek. that is one of the most annoying things about our jobs is having to deal with clients like that and im sorry the rich ones are the worst trust me. anyway hun you did everything right dont feel no way about it just be aware of those kind of clients next time.:hug:

Absolutely no refund!

What she does with her nails once she has left the salon is up to her, you cannot be held responsible for this. As long as you are confident in your technique then I wouldn't worry too much

As busybee32 said above, it may be an idea to get her in ,assess and maybe repair, on the condition she knows it's a good will gesture. I was just thinking because you are a new salon it may be worth weighing up doing this against the risk of her bad mouthing you

Hope you get it sorted, but it sounds like you know what you're doing anyway! :hug: xx

Latest posts

Back