Problem with staff member

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtginge

Reaction score
Hi im a soft boss really soft and i need to talk to an employee as we have now had 7 different complaints about hair cuts or colours in the last 3 months, and i have no idea how to approch her without insulting her or hurting her feelings. io usually mention a complaint but spare her feelings by saying we have problems from time to time but it is a new business and im worried that we will get a bad reputation. the last bad cut she did was on my other stylist and even our junior who tried to rectify it said it was a mess. some times she is really good but everynow and agin this happens and my other stylist opr myself have to rectify the problems. she has also been talking about me behind my back telling staff we will not be open in 6 months time, and whilst i was away due to family ilness was also telling staff memebers if i say anything to her she will tell me to shove my job up my bottom. how can i say anythjing without involving ther other girls who have obviously informed me of the goings on. HELP X X X

if you are having continuing problems with this stylist i would place her on a two month probation, during which she must attend color/cut classes. if things do not improve i would start looking for a new stylist. as hairdressers, we cannot afford to have bad days, so that is no excuse. you might be a "soft boss", but this is your salon and your name you are jeapordizing if this continues. you dont need to mention anything the other stylists said to you, just let her know about the multiple complaints and that you will be keeping an eye on her. she might get upset, but this is your business and i was once told, you do an amazing haircut the client tells 5 friends, you do a terrible cut, they tell 10 people...now which would you want?

I actually think its nice to hear of a boss who isn't a power happy "don't you know who I am" boss.....being nice is well nice.....but this girl does need talking to. You can still be nice...but factual. Make her aware of the problems with clients and the cuts/colours...but I wouldn't go into the whole she said thing...whatever she has or hasn't said to the other girls is just hearsay...nothing was actually said to you so I would just rise above that and stick to the facts....her skills.

I actually think its nice to hear of a boss who isn't a power happy "don't you know who I am" boss.....being nice is well nice.....but this girl does need talking to. You can still be nice...but factual. Make her aware of the problems with clients and the cuts/colours...but I wouldn't go into the whole she said thing...whatever she has or hasn't said to the other girls is just hearsay...nothing was actually said to you so I would just rise above that and stick to the facts....her skills.

My sentiments, exactly! :)

Why not write it all down in a letter? that way you can take your time and phrase it right. You can't ignore this for the sake of being "nice" Sometimes salon owners have to stand up for what is right as opposed to what is popular, thats one of the realities of business I'm afraid

Hi yes set up a meeting out a for you to have a chat and a coffee
together perhaps after hours ? ....
then or ask quietly as her could she explain what is happening with her cutting ect ?
explain that its causing you a bit of concern because of customers complaining ect

let her talk .... then you could ..... ask her does she have any salon problems that could be distracting her ?
or does she think there anything that as a team you could do to make certain parts of her cutting better ?
then just wait for her answers ......
you never know the other two girls could be setting her up by being bitchy about her :|
but you will only know if you chat the problem out with her

usually kindness and putting the ball in her court may help her open up a bit

I hated all that boss stuff too :(
good luck x minky

Hi yes set up a meeting out a for you to have a chat and a coffee
together perhaps after hours ? ....
then or ask quietly as her could she explain what is happening with her cutting ect ?
explain that its causing you a bit of concern because of customers complaining ect

let her talk .... then you could ..... ask her does she have any salon problems that could be distracting her ?
or does she think there anything that as a team you could do to make certain parts of her cutting better ?
then just wait for her answers ......
you never know the other two girls could be setting her up by being bitchy about her :|
but you will only know if you chat the problem out with her

usually kindness and putting the ball in her court may help her open up a bit

I hated all that boss stuff too :(
good luck x minky

I really like this approach, it gives her a chance to see that you care about her and your customers.
Nice one minky xxx

I feel that the above post has a good approach.. Maybe another way is to possibly sit them all down... Have a chat with them all and say ur looking to bring up the pace in the salon and get a good name out there... kinda bring them into the buisness abit more... Say ur gonna talk to them individually as well.... then tell them ur going to take them aside have a chat tht if theres any problems etc... maybe express to them all theres been complaints individually but dont target one person coz they'll be really uncomfortable.. hope this helps... x

PS maybe appraisals and reviews could help... x

As mentioned an appraisal is the best approach.I would put her on 2 months trial then review.I would list all your complaints and go through each one with the hairdresser.Give her a chance to explain what has gone wrong etc.

We are only as good as our last treatment/haircut and inconsistancy such as you have mentioned isn't really good for your business.You say you're a kind person etc and this is lovely but this person hasn't exactly been good about you or to your business.

It's not nice when having to do appraisals knowing that things aren't good but it has to be done and it really does help on both sides.Hopefully she will buck her ideas up.Good luck.:hug:

I really like this approach, it gives her a chance to see that you care about her and your customers.
Nice one minky xxx

Thank you :) Susie H
It's so hard to chat about someones elses standards ,
especially if customers have been complaining ,
I remember once customer rang up and gave me merry hell because one of my stylists had cut her hair way too short

she rang back the next day to see if I had a word with the stylist in question.....

I told her "yes I had" !..... and she said "Oh nooooo ..... I woke up this morning and it hadn't even budged it looks really good now!" :eek:

so I had to go back and apologize to the stylist on behalf of the client :eek: :lol: x minky

I had this problem with a staff member and couldnt sleep at night worrying about the business but not wanting to hurt her feelings. I wrote a staff review for everyone and praised the good but also got my point across to this staff member. This way she didnt feel as if she was getting picked on as eveyone got a confidential letter.

thanks for all the help guys i used all of the ideas you gave me and even though i found it hard i had a chat and it all seems ok now although a few tears were shed. hopefully things will be back on track x x x

Well done you! I know how hard it is to get yourself to just have that conversation, but now you can all more forewards xx

now u have opened up a good chanel of communication keep it open and make sure it is two way. if she needs help she may be more inclined to ask for it. by putting a positive spin on it and offering her additional training im sure she will come along fine. . xx

Latest posts

Back