Professional Hair Product vs General Retail Products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bagpuss:
You are a professional nail tech. Over here in the USA, that gives you license to go into the professional hair supply shops and buy anything for wholesale cost. I am not sure about over in Europe?

Here is something to help you out with long hair girls and over using shampoos and conditioners.. and lord knows that we all have the tendency to over use..
When shampooing, you need to only cleanse the Scalp only.
By applying the shampoo on to your finger tips and massaging in at the scalp, you are ridding the scalp of excess oils, dirt and pollutants. When rinsing the hair, the shampoo will rinse down to the ends of the hair, getting rid of any dirt pollutants etc.

When conditioning, apply conditioner only to the ends of the hair. By making a pony on top of your head, apply the conditioner from your hand out to the ends.so Approx: 4 inches out from the scalp.

Your scalp produces sebum which is the body's natural conditioner for the scalp. by applying conditioner to the scalp is wasteful. By applying shampoo to the ends of the hair ( unless you are a heavy styling product user) is only strippin the hair of moisture that is needed.

Hope this helps

JD~

Excellent advice. Welcome to the site.:hug:

Hi All, Getting back to the orginal question of What do you say to the client to get them to buy Professional Hair care products vs. OTC products.

sorry...didnt mean to go off topic just thought it might be helpful to hear why some clients might not be buying them...:green:

I got my hair done today and explained to the hairdresser what my problems were, and he told me I should go for the L'Oreal Sensi Balance.

That is a professional product isn't it?

Hi Cadence, Over here across the pond, it isn't as far as I know. sounds like a OTC product but I couldn't imagine him recommending it for you. I will look more into it.

Hi Cadence, Over here across the pond, it isn't as far as I know. sounds like a OTC product but I couldn't imagine him recommending it for you. I will look more into it.

Well I thought L'Oreal stuff were sold in asda.. but I read the label properly and it does say 'Exclusive to your professional hairdresser'

Perhaps some L'Oreal is sold OTC and some not then?

Well I thought L'Oreal stuff were sold in asda.. but I read the label properly and it does say 'Exclusive to your professional hairdresser'

Perhaps some L'Oreal is sold OTC and some not then?

Most brands do this,including wella,they even sell semi's and tint otc.

Don't worry hun,you haven't been ripped off :lol: x

Most brands do this,including wella,they even sell semi's and tint otc.

Don't worry hun,you haven't been ripped off :lol: x

Noooo I haven't! I love my hairdresser, he's fab and his mum (another hairdresser) and his sister come in for sunbeds and now spraytans, so when I was leaving ... he only charged me £30 for the whole wash, cut and straightening... and told me his mum said he was to give me some shampoo ... I refused and wanted to pay but he wouldn't have it.. and in all that embarassment I forgot to bloody tip!! :irked:

I am so embarassed but will leave a note for him to have a free session on whichever bed... it's been playing on my mind all afternoon!

i for one would like to know what the professionals would recommend for black hair

i am afro-caribbean and have relaxed hair that is sholuder length

i for one would like to know what the professionals would recommend for black hair

i am afro-caribbean and have relaxed hair that is sholuder length

Ooooh that's an interesting question, why not post a new thread so it will catch the eye of everyone.. ?

My friend has Afro hair and uses some relaxer stuff and really greasy products but I can't think what they're called.

L'Oreal makes a good portion of professional and non-professional hair products (along with Wella). Personally I find it odd.

hi all

I am new to this posting so please bear with me.

First of all i would like to say thankyou JD for giving a full and very detailed explanation of why to use proffessional products, i was reading all the posts and was quite upset at the way people see the hair products in the salon. All the clients i have understand the reasons (explained by jd) for using professional haircare and i dont no why your own hairdressers havnt explained this to you.

I believe if i am to give my clients a full service they need to no what and why i am using on thier hair. If a client is having colour they understand that by using otc products they could be either washing thier colour out (which is a waste of money and time) or creating a build up prior to having the colour done which could cause a barrier to the colour and the colour would fade.

At the end of the day it is important to look after your hair, people dont think anything of spending £60 on a new outfit, but your hair is your permanent outfit so PLEASE, PLEASE look after it.

sorry for the moaning but this is my industry and i love it and respect it so will do anything to upkeep it.

At the end of the day it is important to look after your hair, people dont think anything of spending £60 on a new outfit, but your hair is your permanent outfit so PLEASE, PLEASE look after it.

Very true indeed!!!

I know I frown on 'yea! I agree' posts that do not add any additional content to the thread... however... Fantastic post :D

(hairdresser and JD)

L'Oreal makes a good portion of professional and non-professional hair products (along with Wella). Personally I find it odd.

L'Oreal Owns the majority of hair product companies..they are the mother company.
They are reaping the rewards on both sides of the fence.
Which makes me just cringe at times.:mad:.The general public gets confused ( as L'Oreal wants them too) as to what is professional and what is for OTC..This is one reason I refuse to use anything that has the l'Oreal label on it in the salon.

L'Oreal Owns the majority of hair product companies..they are the mother company.
Which makes me just cringe at times.:mad:.The general public gets confused ( as L'Oreal wants them too) as to what is professional and what is for OTC..This is one reason I refuse to use anything that has the l'Oreal label on it in the salon.

I can see why you would do this - clients could take one look at L'Oreal in your salon and think.... 'well they sell that cheaper in the supermarket' or 'not much of a hairdressers... selling stuff you can get cheaper when you buy your chips'

I've not used it yet... but I'm not going to look a gifthorse in the mouth... the packaging is nice though.. and so customers could be tempted by that! I have been in the past :lol:

L'Oreal owns most everything! We are an exclusive Series Expeire School, we are in fact, the only SCHOOL that is registered as such, what this means is we have acess to the Professional ONLY products that are produced by L'oreal, in exchange for this we do marketing and research for them. We keep track of what the trends are, client services, colors etc and report them to L'oreal. Funny thing about this is that every so often they will send us a sample package for the students to use and it isn't always Lo'oreal that's in the box.

L'oreal owns Artec and Redken, Redken purchased Clairol awhile ago and before that Clairol bought Matrix and Wella. So, who owns what, good luck following that path!!

The major companies realise this industry is worth billions each year and don't want to lose any of the market. They must research and test products before they reach the consumer, whether it is a professional consumer or an over the counter product, so when they have developed a product, if it does not meet industry standards for a professional product it is sent to another area of the manufacturing plant where a new scent, different color and fillers are added, generally water, methylparaben (great preservative all hair products have traces of this to allow stable shelf lives) which can coat the hair strand in large quantities, and a lathering agent- we relate clean to bubbles.

All shampoos do what they are designed to do, clean the hair. Are some shampoos better, YES it depends on the needs of your hair and the chemical treatments or styling alternatives you use.

Cost issue- most professional salon shampoos are concentrated, you should use 1/4 to 1/8 the amount you were using of an over the counter shampoo. Realistically this means that you got 4X the shampoo for usually twice as much, which one is less expensive? I really stink at math, so I'll let you figure that one!

Kids- little heads, less shampoo. If they are of an age that they are shampooing themselves and use too much, dilute it, save a bottle and add a little of your own water, yes it will be runnier but you haven't added wax to thicken it so that is to be expected.

I could go on and on about the differences, I've been lucky enough to go and tour some of the manufacturing sites and talk with chemists of various companies. The differences are there, it just takes time, effort and continuing education to recognise them.

This thread has made very interesting reading.
Jeni you are the only one I have noticed so far with all 3 logos for the forums...so you must get promoted from Sgt Scrubfresh to another rank soon!!!

Anyhoo......I have been to Salons who obviously use cheap shampoos bought in bulk from Salon services...but then again their prices have been cheap too!

I have also gone to really upmarket salons....who use professional products...but Sell, Sell, Sell, using the exact same script every time you visit..."Your hair seems very dry and out of condition...Would you like XYZ conditioner today"
You get it done and buy some...then next time you visit and are getting shampooed "Your hair seems very dry and out of condition..would you like XYZ conditioner today?"

No thank you...I have been using it for the last month...so it can't be doing me any good!!!!:irked:

I now go to a great local salon that uses Paul Mitchell products...there is no hard sell, my hairdresser just knows his stuff and I trust him to tell me what I need for my hair...and I buy it...end of.

I think retail is all about trust, and having a good & honest relationship with your clients.
No matter what Industry you are in...Hair, Nails or Beauty.

Latest posts

Back