Protect your work "Copyright" it

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailsinlondon1

Reaction score
Well its not nice when you spend time and effort on wording and designing your website, or other worded stuff, for someone who has obviously not got an ounce of decency to just come and take all the good bits and use them.
But thats life, what can you do? Well you can protect your material by adding a little footnote to your home page.
What is a copyright notice?
A piece of text which accompanies a work and expresses the rights and wishes of the owner(s).

Do I need a notice?
It is strongly recommended that you include one on your work, it will:
Announce that copyright exists in the work.
Make it clear who is the owner.
Deter infringement.
By having a copyright notice you are helping to prevent infringement occurring.

©
The normally recognised symbol. Most countries across the world accept this as the correct manner of displaying copyright.
All rights reserved
Your footnote should be a simple cover all statement. This is the most commonly used statement, and perhaps the clearest, and covers most eventualities. It simply means that you withhold all rights to the maximum extent allowable under law.
Remember, copyright notices are straightforward statements, there is no need to get tied up with legal jargon, the point is to state your wishes clearly and succinctly.
Year of publication
In case of a dispute of ownership of a work, the date plays an important part. If your work was developed and published before any potential opponents then you can usually expect to win any case which challenges your rights.
In the case of work which is continually updated, (for example a web site), the year of publication may be shown as a period from first publication until the most recent update, (i.e. 2000-2004)
Copyright owner’s name
This may only be one person, or it may be a collective, a band, group or team for example.
If there is one person who owns the rights to a work, then his/her name will appear on its own. If however, your work is owned by several people then you may choose to include the name of each member of the collective, or include the name of the collective itself.
This would give your copyright notice the following appearance:
Copyright © 2008 (then add your name)
Webpages should have this little note on every page.
You can watermark all your pictures, do this in such a way that no matter how hard they crop and edit the picture it remains clearly visible.

For more information and guidance have a look here:
The UK Copyright Service - Intellectual property registration centre
Hope this helps a little

Thanks Roofie. xxx

Fantastic and informative
great piece Ruth :hug:

A great article Ruth - thanks!

do we actually need to register our work for it to be protected?!

Helpful article btw. xx

Copy right is very confussing, my brother has a business with a web site and he found some one had copied his text on his web site and flyers nearly word for word. He took the person to court but he was rules against as he was told it was not totally the same and that you cant copy right the english langue!.

I also had an idea to ad a extra service to my business I thought it was a new idea,and i was really please with my self.

it was not till I had a mail from some one telling me to remove it from my web site as it was copy righted, but when I looked in to this I found you cant copy an idea, after searching the web I found a few others had the same idea as me.

so what would you do in this case?

it was not till I had a mail from some one telling me to remove it from my web site as it was copy righted, but when I looked in to this I found you cant copy an idea, after searching the web I found a few others had the same idea as me.

so what would you do in this case?

I think it would only be a problem if the person had a patent on the idea. If not, then I doubt they would carry much legal standing.

I'd agree with Ruth there, they can maybe register / trade mark the name for the treatment but the procedure unless patented is harder. If they say it is copyrighted then they should be able to provide you with appropriate documentation to back that up.

Also, don't know if they would be able to advise but would a quick call to Trading Standards help?

Latest posts

Back