Purple'ish nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
I was recently contacted through my website by a consumer going elsewhere to get her nails done.

Her email to asked if it was normal that nail enhancments had a purplish/grey hue instead of being 'clear'? She said that they used 'purple liquid' and a 'whitish powder' (I surmised that the liquid must be monomer, what else is purple?).

I explained what the 'purple liquid' was and explained L&P a little bit and assured her that no, they shouldn't be purplish. I referred her to some links with information regarding NSS & MMA and what the differernt types of enhancements are.

Anyway, my question is this:

Has any of you heard of this happening before where the nails were 'purplish' due to the monomer? I'm "assuming" it was poor quality product. It's just it's the very first time I've ever heard of this.
:eek:

I can't say i have seen this from a product, but i have had this happen to a client of mine who is very pale skinned and her hands get cold very quickly and end up looking a purplish/grey colour afterwards. Its just the way she is, so i always give her a little bit of a massage when i apply the cuticle oil, which gets her circulation going and the colour then comes back into her hands and fingers, which makes the purple colour disappear.

I could be totally wrong.

Quite a few gel finishing gloss products give a lilac hue they are all especially noticable under a uv lamp. In normal daylight its not that noticable but some are with pink and white and over certain coloured tips and gel polish. Over black tips it can make them go a bit purplely for instance. Someting to do with the optical briteners in the product I think. IBd Intense seal odes it but their ultra seal doesnt.

I may be wrong but i think someone once told me that it can look a purple ish color if you are working too wet. I may be wrong for thinking this and so i'm sure someone else will clarify.

yep i agree working too wet, thats what id put it down to,
too much monomer, not necessarily a poor quality product either

I have seen this before and it was due to the monomer my friend bought some from america cant remember what brand but her nails where blue, when she changed to creative not a problem, did the lady know what make the technician was using?

yep i agree working too wet, thats what id put it down to,
too much monomer, not necessarily a poor quality product either

These were exactly my thoughts (I'm a UV Gel user, so I was hazarding guesses:o ) so I also suggested that to her.

Thanks for clarifying ladies!
I'd hate to think that I answered her wrongly, and now I know I did right.

:hug:

I would say it's from working to wet. It seems to show on peeps who don't have alot of colour to their nailbeds & have clear powder used (which the powder is white)

~*~ I have seen that w/my IBD Intense Seal topcoat as well as their UV Topcoat. But also, my EZ Flow Monomer has a "purple ish" hue and I noticed that w/the new Nailite monomer I just got today? Funny cause one day my motherinlaw asked me why my "frenches" (sadly that's what I wear 99% of the time) had a Hue to them and I had just put a coat of IBD UV on them!

*~* BTW - keep me in your prayers - I start School tomorrow:eek:

Latest posts

Back