Qualified in 1 day!!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LISA A

Reaction score
A good client of mine handed me a beautifully presented price list yesterday from her daughter-in-law. 'wow i didnt know she was getting herself qualified, i know it takes time but well done to her' i replied. my client looked at me and said 'yes it took her a whole day and apparently her qualification is equivalent to city and guilds'! Her price list was for

manicure
pedicure
paraffin wax
shellac
Minx

All in 1 Day???!!!! and she is now planning on working on the public!!! Apparently she paid ££££'s for the day, but what worries me is, in 8 hours (no doubt there were breaks) how can you possibly learn A&P, contra indications, health and safety etc etc. There cannot be any real assessment . What are your thoughts on this level of training. it seems to me that anyone can now say they are 'qualified'.

My client said that she believes she is now a professional because she paid so much!!!

Jesus Im shocked!!!!!! Was this with CND as nowhere else would train her for Shellac?

That was exactly what i thought. I dont actually know where she did this days training, have asked my client to find out.

It's a sorry state of affairs, but I know of 'technicians' (not that they deserve the title) who have done 1-day course in tip & dip nail extensions, with no previous manicure/pedicure/beauty training or any industry experience at all, that have then gone on to advertise their services listing mani & pedi (no training), nail extensions, silk nail wraps (with no training), nail art (with no training), childrens' nail art parties etc at discount prices, making the rest of us look unnecessarily expensive. Which is easy to do, when you have minimal expenses - it's pretty likely there's no CRB check, business rates or indemnity insurance involved...

I'm afraid the only thing to do is to keep your head held high, strive for perfection in everything you do, let your professionalism shine through your work, be friendly and give your ladies as much information about the best way to care for their nails as you can - this is what will set you apart. xx

I wonder if she has managed to get insurance with that course?!?!

i asked this question, but her MIL said she didnt want to bring this subject up as she had already offended her DIL by being negative about the '1 day course'.

I am guessing everyone 'passed' the course and will have been given a certificate. Alot of these types of certificates wording is Blah Blah has successfully attended or successfully completed, do not actually say is qualified in. But for those that have paid £££'s they see themselves as holding a true qualification. While the rest of us have spent, months, years gaining our qualifications!!!

As much as it angers me that 'techs' can fast track. it is not only dangerous for our industry, but am guessing alot of these 'techs' will have paid all this money in good faith and just completely struggle and suffer when actually out there (their own fault i can here you cry), but unless you truely understand the nail industry it seems so easy to be taken in.

I think there are a lot of girls out there who are conned by independent training establishements who tell them they are qualified and charge them the earth! It is not until they try to obtain the products that they will need to carry out their treatments that they will discover they need extra training.

CND are not going to provide products to anyone they think has not had the correct training. There are one day mani/pedi courses though and this is what you need for Shellac, Gelish etc.

At the end of the day this poor girl will learn that she is not experienced enough, her clients will be disappointed and she will become disheartened, maybe find this site, get good advice and do a proper training course! :green:

A good client of mine handed me a beautifully presented price list yesterday from her daughter-in-law. 'wow i didnt know she was getting herself qualified, i know it takes time but well done to her' i replied. my client looked at me and said 'yes it took her a whole day and apparently her qualification is equivalent to city and guilds'! Her price list was for

manicure
pedicure
paraffin wax
shellac
Minx

All in 1 Day???!!!! and she is now planning on working on the public!!! Apparently she paid ££££'s for the day, but what worries me is, in 8 hours (no doubt there were breaks) how can you possibly learn A&P, contra indications, health and safety etc etc. There cannot be any real assessment . What are your thoughts on this level of training. it seems to me that anyone can now say they are 'qualified'.

My client said that she believes she is now a professional because she paid so much!!!

Sadly hairdressing is the same...You can be a butcher & open a hairdressing salon!!!!!

A lady I trained with embarked on a one day L&P Course with Millenium.
She apparently then had 3 weeks of practice on clients and then returned for a final assessment from Millenium.
We used to be good friends until she tried to get info out of me about how to do L&P and even paid me to do some so she could watch and then tried to poach my clients.
Anyway, she doesn't offer nail extensions any longer because in her words, "she didn't like the backlash from them."

She did other numerous courses with a similar time scale. We did our Level 2 Beauty Therapy together and told me I was stupid for doing Level 3 BT and Level 3 Nail Services.

Now she offers microdermabrasion, botox!!?, reflexology, massage, semi perm lashes etc.
All with only a Level 2 in Beauty Therapy and some one day courses she paid the earth for.

How can that be equivelant to a City & Guilds qualification?!

I did my NVQ level 2 with City & Guilds, and the assessments I did couldn't be fit in in a week never mind a day! Even if you did them back to back lol, and I take it she didn't do any assignments either???

Its a shame how people can be qualified so easily, make those of us who spend a full year studying feel like our time and effort is worthless :irked:

Totally see where you guys are coming from. I am level 2 NVQ qualified in Beauty Therapy and I have set up as mobile, I've worked hard to get my qualification and plan to do add on's. I love what I do. However, on my local netmums site I saw the following:

*EXCLUSIVE OFFER FOR ONE PERSON!*

I am offering one lucky lady a free "nail foil" treatment! (For the ones who don't know what nail foil is or want more info, just simply type "nail foil" in google.)
I am based in ***** and will come to you (within a certain distance.)
This offer is first come first served i'm afraid :(
However if you want to book an appointment or see what i do then please visit

Somebody replied and said what are your qualifications and this was the response:

I have been pratising nail art and design for around 6 years but have never taken it further than doing my friend's and family's nails. No qualifications but plenty of hands on experience

I shouldn't have, but I put a comment on saying that why was it worth me training when anyone can offer this service ( I was so mad at the time, but I have now removed this comment).

Her response was:

There are no health and safety risks with the products or treatments as what i use can be purchased by anyone and apose no danger. The idea of my service is that ladies don't have to go to a nail bar paying £25+ for acrylics/gels and experiencing the aftermath of damaged nails. No heating lamps or strong chemicals here

and ...

Well i guess anyone can do nails i'm afraid to admit, even acrylic and gels! It's just getting all you need can be very costly and also there's no one there for conversation when it's just you. I have bought the nail foil kit, stamping kit and gems for the 3D look. It is mainly for those who like great looking nails but don't fancy paying £25+ for every visit (i'm one of them people.) Therefore i decided to buy everything and offer the lowest price going. I thank those for their support and rest assured you'll be seeing plenty of *****

Sorry for the rant, but surley this is not allowed, you nail technicians have worked so hard, you have had to pay for your training and insurance.

As you can see I am not happy! :irked::irked::irked:

Well I hope she ends up wrecking someones nails and they ask for her insurance details!!!

Well I hope she ends up wrecking someones nails and they ask for her insurance details!!!

Me too as I'm sure she will have no insurance.

Even if the products are harmless, she won't know about nail disorders, contraindications, or what to do if someone has an allergic reaction.

You should ask her how she sterilises her equipment, she probably thinks barbicide is a suicidal barbie doll :mad:

maybe the nature of the course wasn't *really* one day long....maybe she spent a day each on the practical and then did things home learning style after that (e.g. practising on more clients and the theory based paper work followed by an assessment by the school after all this)

if my above statement is wrong then i'm scratching my head as even with short courses, to get qualified you have to do a lot more work at home after the day training on site.

unless, they gave her a certificate from the training place itself on the day, one which, as part of this is a certificate from the school rather than from a nationally recognised awarding exams board

Oh! The good old 1 day nail course!!!!

This makes my blood boil everytime i see one advertised.

They even advertise them in Scratch magazine, which i 'thought' was a magazine for 'professionals!!'

I was lucky to qualify quickly (by LCN's standards) in a few months, but that was by working for pennies in the LCN salon where i trained to gain more experience.

Are there any exams involved? Theory side, practicle?? All in 1 day...I think not! x

There is a lady whom I know whom done a free training course in the local school by me of an evening using pina parie and has passed this then gone onto do her conversion with CND, as she couldnt afford to do sig 5 foundation but could do it this way???? why didnt I think of that:cry::cry: (joke)

But seriously it makes me mad that people are allowed to do that, atleast 4-5 of my clients at the moment or their daughters are doing nail courses through the college of an evening and they are getting taught minx, mani, pedi, L&P, fibreglass, gels, so they will be able to do more than me:lol::lol:,, great.

xx

Gee whiz 1 day, that's just ridiculous and I wouldn't want anyone near my nails or my clients nails with that amount of training.

This is where we are protected in the US as before you get a license from the state for nail tech you have to do a 250 hours college course, plus x amount of the various treatments on x amount of volunteer clients, all tightly controlled by the college and then take a 3 hour exam before they will entertain you.

It is the same for massage therapist, 750 hours for most courses and skincare I think was 270 hours.

Just thinking are there companys out there that would give insurance for that amount of training?

I went to college when i left school and done a full 3 years in order to become a fully qualified beautician. really riles me when i see that companies are offering beauty courses to get qualified in 3 days.. !!!:eek:

i so could not have learnt everythng about the body in that time ..

Although i did do my nail tech course at home, it is a recognised qual and also company i went through and still receive tremendous support from when i need it. It did in fact take me a whole year to do.

Latest posts

Back