Question from a hair salon owner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classixuk

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first visit to this site and I'm after some education (hope I've come to the right place).

I own a couple of successful hair salons in Liverpool, UK and we are looking to expand into nails at the request of some of our clients.

Our main salon is quite large (1,500 sq feet over 2 floors) and very busy! We don't offer any services other than hair right now and so that's where i need your help.

I'm a guy and my experience of nails is obviously quite poor. Years ago I was a health spa manager for Steiner and worked on the QE2. I trained in facials, body wraps, slimming treatments etc. as part of my management training but I more or less skipped nails all together. I did a set of acrylics once but I hated it. I just kept finding excuses as to why I had to be somewhere else. I can't even figure out how nail technicians get the polish so smooth. Give me a pair of scissors and a tint brush though and I'm as happy as a pig in mud.

So, considering the above, I'm really wary about employing a nail tech. How will I know if they're any good? What would I do if something went wrong and a customer of mine complained to me as the boss; after all, it's not as if I'd be able to fix it!

So I thought that perhaps I'd best rent out space for a motivated nail technician to take advantage of. I've only ever done this once though and I got my fingers burned. The girl didn't show up for her appointments or would not bother coming in on a Saturday. My customers would be furious, but of course I had collected the rent so couldn't "re-rent" out the space. After about 3 weeks of being messed around I just forgot about doing nails at all. That was 4 years ago.

As a salon owner today, what I can offer a nail technician is space is a large busy salon and access to all of the clients using that salon (the nail tech would not need to bring any clients of her own if she didn't want to, we are literally that busy!). I can provide a receptionist 6 days per week, a computerized appointment schedule, business cards and promotion, and I am able to be flexible with the working hours.

What I would like in return is a nail technician who is courteous and professional, comes to our salon dressed for the job (i.e. clean uniform, clean hair and make-up), talks to our clients and staff nicely and above all else, turns up on time and meets any schedule she has agreed to that week (unless of course the kids are ill or something).

So then, in your opinion and with your experience everyone, how should I advertise this package, where should I advertise this package and what would be a fair deal for both the nail technician and the salon?

I already have a nails desk with chairs etc. The nail tech should ideally be able to bring in their stock (I wouldn't have a clue what to buy).

Should I offer employment, a commission % or a flat weekly rent?

What would be fair? What is the norm?

Thanks very much.

Chris.

If you do a search on commission or renting you cfind lots of threads about this. Here's some I quickly found.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/34881-how-much-do-you-pay-rent.html?highlight=commission
http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/43611-percentage-renters.html?highlight=commission
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/23593-weekly-rent-percentage.html?highlight=commission
Something to think about:
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/...t-ive-decided-offer.html?highlight=commission
Alot of people who pay a fixed rate get a lower price to start out ( for a set amount of time) to help while they build a clientelle.

that sounds great, if I lived in Liverpool I would love to come and work for you.
A commission basis is really great for a nail tech 60/40 or 70/30 is a good rate. but if you want tighter control, then employment could work better for you.

look for a technician who has completed their training with a reputable company and if possible has a few years experience, make sure if they are working on a percentage that they are fully insured and that they keep up their training with a couple of classes a year, it is best if they are trained in all three systems too.
you can advertise your position here in geekbay and when you interview a tech you can always find out about their system and training and come on here and ask our advice.

you are offering a very nice package and I am sure you will have loads of interest.

Hi and welcome

I have my own salon, i am a hairdresser, therapist and nail tech. What i would think about renting space is that you have less control over whats happening in your salon.

At the end of the day they are your clients and its your reputation on the line, you know how it is if you get a bad stylist it can take a while for feedback to filter through and by then you have lost clients, and thats something you know back to front.

You need to thoroughly research what your clients want, do they want a manicurist? will they also then want pedicures? If you have the space those spa pedi chairs are fantastic. Some nail techs don't do natural nails or pedicures some of them just go straight on and do a nail course. So their qualifications need checking thoroughly.

Also renting a space may not give your clients continuity with brands for example, if the tech should leave and your clients are used to Ezflow then a new tech comes and wants to use Creative or Biosculpture.

There are loads of different brands and systems out there and they are very different in quality and price.

There are loads of techs good and the not so good.

I wish you the very best of luck, personally i would rather employ someone that way i have control over everything.

Hope this helps.

I am sure that you will gain some interest from geeks in your area.

You sound as if you are offering a good package to the right person.

The geeks on here are passionate and very skilled if you look in the gallery I am sure you will agree.

Good Luck with your search I am sure you will get what you are looking for.

Why not also contact the larger training schools who may have some recommendations from previous or current students.

Isn't Liverpool fairly near Manchester and Leeds therefore NSI and Creative are likely to have had students from your area, who are probably returning to increase and update their skills.

boy oh boy - why couldnt you be based nearer me!!!!!

sounds like a excellent opportunity for the right person.

Latest posts

Back