Really Bad Spaghetti Perm - any solutions?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherr

Reaction score
Hi guys

Im sure you get so many of these queries but I will go ahead anyway! I went to a place in Hackney (***removed street name***) and asked for a nice perm. I got a really bad perm yesterday and Ive spend all of today (saddo!) crying about it.

Basically my hair has a medditerrean texture (abit corse and curly and frizzy). It used to have a natural curl to it but was also quite corse, so I got away with twisting it (whilst wet) in large chunks and once it dried I would open the chunks and end up with a nice curl.

About 4 years ago I started using GHDs on my hair and straightening it whihc was fantastic for a while but since my hair became really really brittle, and was breaking and snapping on the ends so about 8 months ago I stopped the straighteners and trimmed my hair. I wore my hair naturally to try to strenghten it again. The problem was that the new hair was growing back normally (ie a mixture of curl and frizz) but the pre-existing hair was still straight from the strength of the GHDs. I could not cut all the hair off as it would take me years to grow back again so I went to this mare street salon yesterday for a consultation about getting a loose large perm. They said my hair was strong enough to perm. I explained that I had had a bad perm once before and that it had come out rubbish. They promised me that the lady doing my hair was good at perming and that she would use the large balck/blue rollers in my hair.

Parts of the hair especially the front) would not take the perm and I was in the salon for about 2 hours. All other customers had left and I felt that although the stylist wanted to spend time on my hair the manager was being pushy and trying to get me out of the salon as it was coming up to 8pm. After a third dose of setting chemicals and more heat, the stylist washed my hair out and very hastily styled it (aka shed loads of mousse and lots of 1980s scrunching!). I paid my 75 quid and trudged home with a half wet head of hair slowly drying into a crispy stringy mess.

It was obvious to the manager that I was not happy. I wanted larger natural curls that would simply make my hair easier to manage. I ended up with rats tails, half of which are curly and half are just dead looking.

The manager simply asked me to, whilst ushering me out, refrain from washing it until Wednesday and just apply more moose to keep the curl lifted. He said that I could call back on Wednesday and let me know how the hair had turned out

The point is that there is no curl and I didnt want to argue with him infront of the stylist as she was nice and wanted to stay behind and continue to work on the hair and so I didnt want to embarass her.

The point is though, im still upset and angry abour my hair. What can I do about:

1. My hair. If I wash it before the requisite time (Wednesday) will the perm come out or can I restyle the curls before then? Alternatively, should I just condition the curl out and start again in 2 weeks?:

2. The salon. Now that I have paid, can I still get my money back? Is it OK to call the salon and complain?

3. Reputable salons: i dont know ANY London salons that can manage Afro-European hair. I dont trust places like T&G as I had only ever been able to afford the junior technicians there and as far as my experience goes, they are at a loss with naturally dry frizzy hair. However as the same time afro hair dressers are not for me either, the products and hair management is was too heavy for my kind of hair (think South American, arabic, Turkish) hair texture. So please please if anyone knows a GOOD salon in London (outside of the westend) that will know how to help with my hair I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in Advance

Cherr

Last edited by a moderator:
ok , done panic . dont wash yor hair till wednesday, actuslly dont wash your hair at all ,go back and get them to wash and style it again- that way they cant say youve washed it when you havent and you mustnt brush it no matter how it looks! washing and brushing a new perm is the main cause of bad perms( not that yours is your fault) but the salon could tell you this making it not their fault.
i think whats happened is that its been overprocessed and the ends werent strong enough to hold the curl. dont get them to perm it again get some free cuts and conditioning treatments until it grows out . is your scalp ok?

Hi Liana Kay

Thanks so much for responding. I tried to wet it abit because the stylist had put so much mousse in it that it was crispy (I almost blinded someone when a hard-as-rock strand of hair flicked them in the eye). So I wet my hair abit this morning but didnt wash it or brush it or anything like that.

To be honest my scalp WAS BURNINGGGGGGG when the perm was processing (they put me under heat when the perm didnt work the first couple times) but was ok once the stylist washed the chemicals out. My scalp is itching me now and I really feel like washing and conditioning it but I wont until after Wednesday. The thing is there is a tiny bit of a curl in the hair now that i have wet the mousse out abit but its such a pathetic and scraggly curl that I wont be able to wear my hair out. The curl is stretched and has absolutely no life. I really want to go back and get my money back. Do you think that I should do this?

Also can I ask for a re perm somewhere else or will the hair not be strong enough?

Finally, if you are from London Liana - is there any way you can recommend a local perming salon to me?

Thanks again!

Cherr

No way should you have it re-permed it will just damage it even more.

I would go straight back to the salon and do as Liana said, (take a pic of of too). when you get a perm with a straight curl, if that makes sense, the best thing to I think, is to have good cond treatments, I would prob use hot oil treatments rather than cream treatments as they penetrate the hair shaft, also use a serum ( I think frizz ease do one ) rather than mousse for the reason you give, it'll go crispy, the searum will give some protection. You will be suprised how our hair can recover with a bit of help

Just an added thought you can buy comething called vitapoint from any chemist, this is like an old fashioned serum ! its quite oily but if you gently rub it through to the ends of you hair I think will help, its really good stuff x

Thanks for your help both!

I did return to the salon and after a very very long discussion the manager agreed to weekly deep conditioning treatments and after 6 weeks, if the hair is strong enough, they will spiral perm it for free!

I will use almon and olive oils once a week to treat the scalp and I will use Fudge deep con treatment for the hair!

Thanks again

Cherr

Hi, I am glad the hairdressers are helping you , :hug:

I think what may have happened before they permed it,
the cuticles on some of the hair had been very tightly closed maybe with using the straightening irons,

or maybe it was just that you have some naturally tightly closed cuticles on your hair here and there which didnt allow the perm lotion to penetrate the hair evenly

so before you allow another perm near your hair , try not to use the straighteners just in case or any silicon base shampoos and conditioners like pantene ect , or any serums that may coat the hair,

and also its very important to get them to do a few test curls first with the perm lotion
especially in the areas where it went straight ,

Just incase it resists the perm lotion again :)

i cant belive they re permed it , no wonder its a mess ... at least they are doigt he right thing by you this time though , i would get them to test your hair before having a perm anywhere near it again xxx

Hi, perm lotion should never touch the scalp and it should certainly never burn it :eek:
(I dont know why I missed that bit when you first posted)
you could have ended up with bald spots if the lotion had penetrated any deeper than the scalp !
you were very lucky it was only on the surface of the scalp ,

I too wouldn't advise another perm until this one has been mostly cut out

also I dont think I would have too much trust in this particular hairdressers anymore,

just for future reference and other people who are considering having a perm

if any perm lotion ever drips or stings the scalp always report it to the stylist immediatley ,
they should then get some damp cotton wool to dab it all off the scalp
never sit there with anything stinging or burning

I do hope they get your hair back in good condition :hug:

Latest posts

Back