Really need advice on this one!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimo9

Reaction score
I've been spray tanning the same client, who is also a friend, for over a year now and sometimes every week or two so have done loads of tans on her. Yesterday she was standing waiting for me to put her creams on and I noticed that one nipple was inverted...fully! It has NEVER been like that before. I said nothing and continued with her tan and noticed that as we finished it was back to normal. I know...or think I know....that this can be a symptom of breast cancer but what to do??? Also she has set off for a week's holiday today so there was no way I was going to say anything to worry her. She has come from an Irish Catholic background too so is really funny about 'body stuff'!! Any advice would be welcome!

I think as she's your friend I would have to find a way to broach the subject. I have had clients on a couple of occasions with a lump or dodgy mole and have said 'oh by the way I found a small lump (or whatever) during your treatment, did you know it was there?', they've always said yes and they've already had it checked. It's highly unlikely that your client hasn't noticed the change and it's probably nothing serious but if she's not had it checked out it might just be the encouragement she needs.

Could it be that when she removed her bra, maybe her breast and that particular nipple hadn't relaxed back into it's normal shape and by the end of the treatment it had?? If you see her regularly for treatments and notice this on her next visit then as a professional you should highlight this and it may be easier to do so since she is also a friend.

Hi! You are right. If a person develops an inverted nipple later in life, this could indicate that something is wrong.

However, it is also perfectly normal to have inverted nipples. Many many women have it and is hereditary. Sometimes they can be inverted and other times not.

As long as they are the same throughout her life.... This would be normal.

There would only really be concern if they aren't usually inverted and this was the first that they have.

She may have always had them inverted at times- and you just never noticed before. Or she may make sure that they are not inverted when having a tan! Hahaha

Anyway,

It may still be worthwhile talking about it with her. X

Hi! You are right. If a person develops an inverted nipple later in life, this could indicate that something is wrong.

However, it is also perfectly normal to have inverted nipples. Many many women have it and is hereditary. Sometimes they can be inverted and other times not.

As long as they are the same throughout her life.... This would be normal.

There would only really be concern if they aren't usually inverted and this was the first that they have.

She may have always had them inverted at times- and you just never noticed before. Or she may make sure that they are not inverted when having a tan! Hahaha

Anyway,

It may still be worthwhile talking about it with her. X

I'm kind of hoping that your suggestion that she checks them before each tan is right. She's back from holiday today and booked in tomorrow morning for her spray tan. I am usually okay to talk about stuff like this but she is from such a sheltered background that she had no sex education from her folks and is really very strange about body stuff. This, and the fact that her young brother dropped dead with a heart defect just a year ago and the family are all being tested, is making me soooo anxious about upsetting her. I think she'll hate me for saying something but equally I know I have to. Oh god!!

Just an update on this....I have spray tanned her twice since and last time I finally plucked up the courage to mention it. She just laughed it off and said she would ask her GP. She was a bit vague about answering when I asked if they were often inverted so I'm none the wiser but I am happy that I got over myself and actually dealt with it. I'm sure it's nothing at all to worry about.

Just an update on this....I have spray tanned her twice since and last time I finally plucked up the courage to mention it. She just laughed it off and said she would ask her GP. She was a bit vague about answering when I asked if they were often inverted so I'm none the wiser but I am happy that I got over myself and actually dealt with it. I'm sure it's nothing at all to worry about.

Well done for mentioning it :) glad she took note.

My friend has an inverted nipple, although ive never seen it & I tan her regularly! It goes normal when she is abit cold. Xx

Latest posts

Back