Red Carpet Manicure offers Consumer Gel Kit

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
At the end of the November, the American company Red Carpet Manicure launched the world's first at-home gel manicure range. In just three steps - preparation, care & colour, finish - they claim each stage will be cured after 45 secs under their professinoal LED Light.

There's a choice of no less than 36 colours and the big wigs at Red Carpet Manicure claim that they all offer a 'gorgeously glossy, long-lasting finish with no risk of chipping or smudging'.

Kits start from £59.95 and include a portable LED Light, cleansers, prep, base coat, top coat, cuticle oil and remover, as well as LED Gel Polish in Red Carpet Reddy. And don't kid yourself...this stuff is flying off the shelves. Already outrageously popular in America, Lorraine Kelly has recently featured it in Style File on ITV 1.

We all knew it wasn't going to be long before someone offered this kind of product to the consumer, but is it a good thing? They appear to promote good practice e.g. prep but as with all these things there is a skill involved. These things can be done well or badly, and unless you're trained, surely it's going to be average at best? Not to mention the product itself...kind to nails or not?

Well, here at Salon Geek HQ, we like to test these claims so I'm off to try and get my hands on some. Watch this space for a review...

Until then...geek on.

The Ed.

Attachments

• redcarpetmanicureprokit.jpg
    redcarpetmanicureprokit.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 2,862
Not much different from being able to buy hair colours in boots in my opinion.

It was just a matter of time before this came along.

Pro products are available to the public by all sorts of means.

It's training and skill that the consumer will lack.
That's why they need us.

Doubt this will have much impact on the professional market, but still think its lame to see companies sell out the professional like this.

Well they've got competition. Opallac have been advertising via cudo in Oz. Cudo is one of the online coupon companies. If they think they're the first at-home gel company, they need to check around - Opallac have been around since 2009 according to their profile.

OPALLAC

I don't think the pro industry need worry. Skill and understanding is always key. Many will make it work very well but are they long term salon clients? Probably not. Nail polish performs better in professional hands. Hair colour is far better done in a salon and on and on.

So many professionals are discovering problems with gel polishes so will the consumer. Some happy; many disappointed.

I don't see it as a 'sell out. It is the natural progression. Salon clients know how much better a pro can do the job. What's new? (the 'pros' that can't do a better job will drive their clients to the retail version! Just be better than 'Josephine public'!)

I remember a while back I did a shellac for someone who worked for a big supermarket and she said that they were looking into bring this to the store. They are owned by an american company!

I'm not too concerned, like others Geeks have said, you can get a shop colour it's not a surprise. But it's not shellac is it and my clients are in love with Shellac and a pro finish. :biggrin:

just wait until the people try doing it at home find their overlays dropping off sooner than they do when professionally applied! They'll all be craaawling back!

I don't know much about other countries but in Australia Opallac are probably the number one brand used for at-home UV Gel polish, they have done deals with Cudo etc and all my friends bought them.

My salon uses shellac and I don't like it cos it peels off - but opallac doesn't peel :smack:. But more importantly I supporT the OPALLAC gel products cos they're an australian brand & pretty sick of the big american brands (shellac, gelish etc) taking over Oz!

I also like the fact that I can order online at opallac & they're products are at my door within days.

SIGNED - passionate UV Gel lover! xx

You will always get DIY'ers, and tbh I don't think they affect our business. DIY'ers don't tend to pay salon prices when they can 'do it themselves'.

I've overheard it many a time at parties. 'I don't see why you pay £XXX amount for (eyebrow waxing, manicure, spraytan, insert as appropriate), I can do it just as well, half the price at home'. At which point, most people inwardly roll their eyes at the cheap skate in the corner, lol.

I don't know much about other countries but in Australia Opallac are probably the number one brand used for at-home UV Gel polish, they have done deals with Cudo etc and all my friends bought them.

My salon uses shellac and I don't like it cos it peels off - but opallac doesn't peel :smack:. But more importantly I supporT the OPALLAC gel products cos they're an australian brand & pretty sick of the big american brands (shellac, gelish etc) taking over Oz!

If ANY professional product just "peels off" I would be looking at the application, not the product.

Latest posts

Back