Remember you? Time to read this again

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
I don't know if any or you will heed my advice on this one, but I thought I would tell you of my experience.

As most of you know, I worked my years behind the nail desk just like all of you are doing right now ... MANY years of 8 till 8 (and beyond), always giving my all to the clients.

Every year, starting from August in some cases, my devoted clients would start to book their Christmas appointments!!! Yes ... August. Christmas eve filled up before anything else. Why, I used to wonder, did clients who would normally go for 3 weeks between maintenance appointments all feel they had to jam in the day before Christmas? It used to take ages to get them all on an even routine again after Christmas.

Anyway, Christmas eve would come and the phone would never stop ringing from the moment we got to the salon, while many of the said adoring clients cancelled their appointments until after the new year, because they were too busy!!!

After about 3 years of this (and three Christmases spent in bed ill and exhausted) I decided we would not take any appointments, and we would close the salon on Christmas eve. It gave all of we technicians time to give to our own families and celebrations and it was great.

Here is the reality. We were always so full with all the regulars before Christmas that we couldn't fit in new customers, so we really didn't gain over the Christmas period because we did all the same old same old! We made more money, (because we worked longer hours) but in reality we didn't because we were not building new clientele.

It was JANUARY when we got all the new business!!! Everyone who had seen and liked our beautiful nails at parties over the holidays, were booking in for full sets.

Maybe take a little time for yourself and your own families this year? XX. Have a very Merry Christmas rather than spending it ill in bed. X

Last edited:
Wonderful advice Geeg. Although I'm in hair it's the same story people going crazy for appointments and yes trying to book them months before.
I don't allow this and only allow them to book from end of October as I feel it decreased the amount of cancellations .
I stop work on the 22nd this year and will close the salon till the 27th, back for a few days then closed till the 8th. We all need a break and it's actually been accepted well by my clients
X

Already done this Geeg :wink2: My sons birthday is Christmas Day and much as I love nails I love him more and I'm not being I'll for him.

Hope you are well xx

Yeah I've got 2 kids and Christmas has always been a family thing with us so I'm not doing any nails of Xmas eve either. I'm booked up the week before and despite telling people that they are still asking so I'm tempted to work the Sunday. I booked all my regulars in around their Christmas parties etc before I offered new clients appointments :) xx

Great post Gigi, I have always worked Xmas eve and never really got into the Christmas spirit cause I was too exhausted!
Last year was my first year being self employed, I booked Christmas eve off and it was so lovely to spend some time with my family - I'm doing the same this year and luckily all my clients have been fine about it.

Sometimes we need to just stop and take time to appreciate and enjoy our own families instead of trying to please others x

I fully intend to spend 100% of my time over Christmas with my family as last year was horrendous, my poor children didn't get much of one as first I was rushed into hospital then as I was sent home so my uncle was being rushed in!!
This year unfortunately I am working Christmas eve, though I don't work full time in nails, so once I get home from work until I have to be back in work I am doing whatever my family want and have no intention of going into hospital again!!

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

What wonderful caring advice Gigi, thank you for taking the time to express your wisdom like this:Love:

I too have a daughter who's birthday is X-mas day and I too am not opening X-mas eve or for boxing day or the day after, I'm taking a 4 day break.

It been a rough year for me since April due to an accident that nearly wiped me off the earth and it's just been the last couple of months I have recovered enough that I am nearly back to normal with in myself and my clients.
We (my clients, my family and myself) all had a wake up call when I had my accident and we all know how precious life and our families are, so my clients fully understand that this time is special for them and for me to be with those we love most.

Although money is great, sometimes it takes a big wake up call to make one realize that life is not all about working our a**es off for money, there is much more to life than just money.

Geez, there is only ONE Christmas every year and we need to embrace it no matter what or who you believe in:)
My Christmas is more special now cause of my best present ever, my beautiful daughter and she only has ONE birthday a year too.

I always take Xmas eve off as its my favourite day of Xmas. I just love it. None of my clients expect to come then anyway, as u say, they're too busy. X

Such wise advice Geeg, this year for the first time Ive booked out xmas eve for myself and Im not intending to take ANY appointments between xmas and new year, ive told my regulars if they have any mishaps then they can come to my home salon in this time and i'll do repairs, but that's it. Luckily most are very careful with there nails so I should be in the clear (I wont speak to soon lol).

Thanks for that Geeg a nice read this morning. I too am finding the stress getting too much of not being able to have any 'me' time of there is such a thing but iv had a little word with myself & made the decision to only work while 2pm on Xmas eve & I'm not budging on that one!
X

I am probably being silly but Im working all over christmas including christmas eve and cramming people in where I can :lol: We are closing the salon though for the first two weeks of January to have some necessary building work done - I can see me doing some mobile appointments for my regulars during this two weeks :lol:

Such wise advice Geeg, this year for the first time Ive booked out xmas eve for myself and Im not intending to take ANY appointments between xmas and new year, ive told my regulars if they have any mishaps then they can come to my home salon in this time and i'll do repairs, but that's it. Luckily most are very careful with there nails so I should be in the clear (I wont speak to soon lol).

Maybe I can help you there as well .... Last thing you want is your holiday time interrupted by repairs.

SHHH! Without my clients realising it ... During their appointment before the christmas holiday, I quietly added a tad more product to all of their nails and made them all a little thicker. :lol: We are all clashing about over the hob and in the oven and in and out of the freezer, opening boxes and wrapping gifts etcl much more than usual, and we all know clients break nails when rushing and doing all these things (me too) so it was my 'insurance card' for a stress free holiday without repairs and they never really knew I'd done it! Call me a little Minx if you like .... It worked! Peace and Joy to you all; you've earned every precious minute of it. X

Thanks Geeg, great tip re the extra bit of product!

great advice....i never really understood why people had to have their nails done the day before xmas when as said we are all busy then and our nails last for weeks anyway!!!

God bless Shellac.....it lasts so long no manic Christmas eve appointments:Love:

Another brilliant thread geeg and great food for thought.

I can't for the life of me understand why so many clients want their nails done as close to Christmas as possible, when most of them will admit to having a very quiet Christmas and not setting foot outside the door :lol:

I always ask my clients when their Christmas party is, and it's usually a couple of weeks before, so I book them in then - this frees my diary up a bit for new clients.

Maybe I can help you there as well .... Last thing you want is your holiday time interrupted by repairs.

SHHH! Without my clients realising it ... During their appointment before the christmas holiday, I quietly added a tad more product to all of their nails and made them all a little thicker. :lol: We are all clashing about over the hob and in the oven and in and out of the freezer, opening boxes and wrapping gifts etcl much more than usual, and we all know clients break nails when rushing and doing all these things (me too) so it was my 'insurance card' for a stress free holiday without repairs and they never really knew I'd done it! Call me a little Minx if you like .... It worked! Peace and Joy to you all; you've earned every precious minute of it. X

ohh noted :) i'll do this with my L&P clients also I think i'll add some structure gel to my gelish clients and my shellac's can have 2 top-coats. Ya think im determined to have my xmas holiday? :D

Thank you thank you!

Guilt was getting the better of me! I now feel I have permission to have a great Xmas -

Strike a line thro that page....that page.....oh and that page!

Thank you Geeg :):):)

Thank you thank you!

Guilt was getting the better of me! I now feel I have permission to have a great Xmas -

Strike a line thro that page....that page.....oh and that page!

Thank you Geeg :):):)

Love it! You do that. We all work really hard to build our businesses ... Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for having family time along with everyone else, just as they want to have their family time. I did work that time for for years, and when I decided enough was enough and that my adoring clients :rolleyes: thought nothing about inconveniencing me .... I made a stand. It was a very good decision.

I'm a bit jealous of you all now after reading your posts ....

I normally work a half day 9-2 Christmas Eve , i like the rest of you have no-shows and cancellations on the day but this year they have all paid deposits so i won't be too put out if they don't show..

But over here i find the men tend to leave it till Christmas Eve to get their gift vouchers/ hampers so i would lose a big chunk of my Christmas takings if i shut up shop.

I'm used to it at this stage and have myself well organised so it's all good. :Love:

Latest posts

Back