Remembering Tom

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
News of Tom Holcombs death last night started a wave of condolences and commemorative post activity on Facebook, Twitter and Salongeek.com.

It is shocking and sad as there had been recent news of him coming out of his latest intermittent pause from the industry.

One of the most (if not THE most) awarded professionals of all time, Tom established the "standard" in competition nail which was loved and hated in almost equal measures. To date, he is the only professional that I can think of that literally had a style of nail named after him.

Though some may not be aware, there are few in the industry who are not somehow influenced by his achievements. What is the best way you can pay respect to someone like that? To thank them and to remember them through your story (large or small). So I thought I would take a moment to say "thanks" and to tell you the first time I met him.

I had the fortune of meeting him on several occasions where I was impressed by his high energy and fun loving passion. But the first time I ever met Tom, it was awkward.

See, I had only just started doing nails in my home town of SLC, Utah back in the early to mid 90's. I knew little about nails and my work attested to this. One tech who worked in the salon with me (The Painted Lady) gave my a small black jar to hold my monomer in (like I mentioned, I was totally new and a bit naive). On it was a picture of a long haired dude and the name "Tom Holcomb". It was the first time I had ever seen mention of another man in the industry, let alone a monomer jar.

The tales of his success introduced me the beauty of this industry - you could achieve anything you set your heart to as long as you believe in it.

So there you have it... I first met him on the side of a jar that I kept my monomer in, capped with a cork. Those that met or knew him would realise the irony in that... You could never cork Tom, his energy or his achievements.

So what is your story or rememberance?

Attachments

• img00000745.jpg
    img00000745.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,216
Last edited:
Well I would love to tell my story of the night in the Pizza Express after the 06 Olympia Show but I can't because it's simply too rude. Suffice to say that those that knew Tom knew he could be sassy, outrageous and totally non pc when he wanted to be... That was what made him so damn funny.

I will however share that he had mentored his partner at that time and it was the first time his then partner had ever entered the Nailympics. He came first in everything and best overall.

Tom was able to do the THE Nail perfect EVERY time. He was able to mentor people to do the same and create the winners he did. I want to remember Tom as that sassy, funny and outrageous guy that became the legend he did within our industry.

I am just sad I didn't get to see him again but as long as I remember him, he will ramain a part of my life. Rest well Tom and enjoy these moments of everyone remembering you in their own special way... I just know you are up there loving all this attention.... As that was such a part of your great persona. Nail On Dude.

Last edited by a moderator:
I first met Tom when i travelled to the usa to take some training with him and Tom Bachic and Alisha Rimando. That training really uped my game in the nail industry. Not only that, the educators were very personable and spent some of their free time with the students. It was then that i found out what fun tom was and had a glimpse of his personality. He was a riot !

That training went on to shape my career and i have been priviledged to travel widely and meet many wonderful people in the nail industry.

One special memory i have is of my first experience of demonstrating at a trade show. Tom was also there and i told him how nervous i was but he reassured me by saying ' dont worry, if the atendees were as good as you, it would be them behind that desk !'
Be that true or not, it certainly helped boost my confidence and everything went well for me.

That memory has stayed with me.

I hadnt realised Tom was ill and i am shocked by his death and sad that i will never get a chance to meet him again.

To Tom

I never met you personally but saw you at numerous shows. You were always such a fantastic artiste to watch; your techniques and dialogue. Your consumate professionalism made you a joy to watch doing what you did to such a high standard.

You will be sadly sadly missed, but your legacy to the Nail tech industry will never ever be forgotten .. and please, take care of yourself where you are now .. as I know you will be watching over us Nail technicians all over the world!

Take care xxxx

I haven't had a chance to meet Tom personally. He was truly a one extraordinary man, an amazing legend, an asset to the industry. His contribution to the industry is outstanding. I absolutely love his work.

He was an icon, the nail God, who will always be in our hearts. He will never be forgotten.

Rest in Piece, Tom. This is for you:

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there.
I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there.
I did not die.
Mary Frye

I also didn't realise Tom had been ill and was so so saddened by the news of his death. I first saw him at a trade show and he blew everyone away with his talent, energy, fun and passion for the industry. I was just in awe. He was a superstar! The thing that I will remember most is his smile - it couldn't help but melt you.

Today, I am going to be wearing a scarey long set of competition pink & whites.

RIP Tom - a nail industry idol! xxx

I am lost for words (no I'm not), this unexpected news has shocked me.

I met Tom many years ago in Australia, he knocked out mind blowing technical and artistic nails ..... he also held the flame up high for many/the few of us "male" nail technicians.

I will miss the "what will he do next" expectations (yes the kettle steaming nails will be remembered forever), as well as creating "moons" and a rule abiding structured nail.

Toms standard will live on forever .... one we can only strive for in the competition arena.

I haven't had a chance to meet Tom personally. He was truly a one extraordinary man, an amazing legend, an asset to the industry. His contribution to the industry is outstanding. I absolutely love his work.

He was an icon, the nail God, who will always be in our hearts. He will never be forgotten.

Rest in Piece, Tom. This is for you:

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there.
I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there.
I did not die.
Mary Frye
Beautiful natalia

Gone but not forgotten.
Xx

The first time I met Tom Holcomb in 1999 at an exhibition show in Stockholm. He conducted a master class. I was a novice master, with the experience of two years. He showed the French, pink and white. I was impressed by his technique, as easily and perfectly gets "smile line", a deep and smooth. Only from him I learned how to create a "moon" on the nails. I watched and tried to understand "How is this possible? How he does it,easy and perfect ?". It was like a trick when a magician suddenly pulls out a handkerchief from the sleeves, as well as the focus of Tom doing his nails, is striking. Tom inspired me to create beautiful, perfect nails. I will never forget it.I will never forget him.

How lucky was i to find myself in a room, in Coventry, with Tom Holcomb and Antony Buckly 13 years ago! I was a perplexed, a much younger journo who had enjoyed a career writing for photographic magazines and now found myself wading through terminology such as pink & whites, monomer, lunula, hypernicium and liquid and powder. 'No matter' i thought, as a journalist i will reasearch until it all falls into place and i find my feet.

Well meeting Tom & Ant for a day was the best thing that could have happened to me. Inspiration, creativity, fun, laughter, education, joy, beauty, relaxation, some orange juice, tea, sarnies, cigarettes and downright nail chat meant i walked away from that day and never looked back. I was SOLD! If this was what nail professionals were like- i was gonna play the long game!

To be honest i am lost for words right now and can't put how i feel onto paper - since hearing this extremely sad news.

Iconic and legendary are words that are appearing all over cyber space in his memory and honour. We all know he was original and we all know he was unique and unrivalled in skill and personality- we know that he touched the hearts of many that he never even met. He was a one off - a great and powerful soul - a great and most fabulous of nail experts. Many will be feeling that they no longer know where to look when expecting the next technique/big thing to emerge - it really doesn't get any better than Tom - at this time an industry mourns together in the name of Tom Holcomb our own very special industry icon xxxxxxxxx

light a candle with me and send him your love

Alex Fox

xxxxxxxx

I feel so amazingly sad to hear of the death of the absolute genius Tom Holcomb. For those who were fortunate to see him in action and furthermore were able to fully understand his absolute mastery of his technique realise that this man will be missed by so many, on so many different levels. The first time I saw Tom work, from the way that he sat to the ease of his application I knew that this man was special and I was star struck for the first time in my life. He made me ask myself, how did he do that? Have you seen that smile? why is he so consistent?....and for me this is his legacy as a nail professional. Seeing Tom work made me say how can I be better? Yes! We all know that he dominated and dictated what a competition nail should look like through sheer consitency and brilliance, earning his fearsome reputation as consummate competitor, but it is his gift, his volume of work and an ability to inspire and light the fires of passion in others that will live on and ensure that the name Tom Holcomb is forever synonymous with our industry. I can still remember the goose bumps and chills down my spine as I inspected a nail that he had just completed. I was excited, exhilarated and perplexed i'd seen him do it, but i still didn't quite understand how he'd done it. Now thats a genius.

With my deepest sympathies to his family and friends
god rest the "King of Smiles"

Latest posts

Back