Removing enhancements with a tip instead of acetone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axey

Reaction score
Hello,

This article is probably obsolete:
http://www.ipcair.com/hazard.htm

But there's a strange hint here:
"Removing artificial nails must be done without soaking in acetone. Acetone is absorbed by the skin and can cause liver damage. Also, it can damage the natural nail bed. A skilled nail technician should know how to generate a weak point in the artificial nail. They can then slide an artificial tip under it to remove it from the natural nail without
damaging the nail bed.
"

How do you "generate a weak point in the artificial nail"? And how could it be used to remove the nail using a tip? :rolleyes:
I never heard about anything like that before.

CRAZY HUH!! I had a new client the other day who had come from a NSS and she had asked them to remove her nails as she didnt like them and thats how they removed them - with a tip!!! No soaking whatsoever! As you can imagine it was pretty painfull for her and her nails were completely wrecked! Poor chick.:mad:

same here!

i've had customers ask why i don't remove nails this way. they said it does hurt, but it's so fast. they don't seem to mind the pain, the damage or the plain yuckyness of it. they just want it quick!

i have removed some nails this way, to try it. it does work well, if it's not attached that well!! i've tried it on nails that were half off anyway, and had the customers permission.

and besides, how funny that the places that use MMA and have such "wonderful" sanitary measures and such would worry about the cancer causing effects in acetone!!!

life is good...and yet so funny!!!!

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

Oh OUCH! That seems very painful. I don't see why any tech. would build a weak point in the nail. That would be... well ... weak.

It doesn't seem like the amount of acetone we use is going to seriously hurt us, moreso be an irritant to the skin.
Thia is form wikipedia encyclopedia

"Health effects
Small amounts of acetone are metabolically produced in the body, mainly from fat. In humans, fasting significantly increases its endogenous production (see ketosis). Acetone can be elevated in diabetes. Exposure to exogenous acetone can be chronic due to acetone contamination of water, food (e.g. milk), or the air (acetone is volatile). A number of acute poisoning cases have been described. Relatively speaking, acetone is not a very toxic compound; it can, however, damage the mucosa of the mouth and can irritate and damage skin. Accidental intake of large amounts of acetone may lead to unconsciousness and death.
The effects of long-term exposure to acetone are known mostly from animal studies. Kidney, liver, and nerve damage, increased birth defects, and lowered reproduction ability of males (only) occurred in animals exposed long-term. It is not known if these same effects would be exhibited in humans.
Interestingly, acetone has been shown to have anticonvulsant effects in animal models of epilepsy, in the absence of toxicity, when administered in millimolar concentrations (see: Likhodii et. al., Ann Neurol. 2003;54(2):219-226). It has been hypothesized that the high fat low carbohydrate ketogenic diet used clinically to control drug-resistant epilepsy in children works by elevating acetone in the brain."

I wonder how someone accidentally consumes a large amount of acetone?

Hello,

This article is probably obsolete:
Health Hazards in Sculptured Nails & Their Prevention

But there's a strange hint here:
"Removing artificial nails must be done without soaking in acetone. Acetone is absorbed by the skin and can cause liver damage. Also, it can damage the natural nail bed. A skilled nail technician should know how to generate a weak point in the artificial nail. They can then slide an artificial tip under it to remove it from the natural nail without
damaging the nail bed."

How do you "generate a weak point in the artificial nail"? And how could it be used to remove the nail using a tip? :rolleyes:
I never heard about anything like that before.

You might as well bite them off!

Teri x:lol:

Actually I think removing the enhancements this way is very damaging.My old nail tech used to use cuticle nippers and snip them off,it was damned painful at times and I still five years later,have sensitivity on the tip of my little finger,on the left hand.

I am sure that the way my enhancements were removed have caused this problem.You can cause Onycholosis removing the nails this way not to mention other untold damage.

from what i know, all of the NSS use this tequnique.

need i say more!!

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

I can't believe that anyone, let alone a person who has had Creative training etc can even be contemplating this method for one nano second????¿¿¿¿¿????

What is the difference in prizing the product off using a tip or any other tool, like nippers or ones teeth?

Our professional duty and promise to our clients is always to nurture and care for their natural nails all the time they are using our services.

If anyone is willing to compromise this promise then you can class yourself as NSS.

OMG thats like my hairdresser trimming my hair without scissors, yank the buggers off..... As Gigi said whats the difference then if the a client removes them with her teeth. The damage that can be done here can lead to much greater problems. Keratin is removed the nail plate is left thin and flimsy, new product may not adhere as well as they are then trying to build a house on sand...or inviting Onycholisis for a party at "Che nailplate"..
This article contradicts itself, it states that the nail plate should be treated gently and without any damage, great care should be taken when filing and so on and then they say, find a weak spot in the enhancement, well if you are good at your job that will be a hard task, then take a tip and prise it off. Yea righty ho!!!!
The Article is also surprise, surprise, has a sneaky mention about this:Therefore I have invented the NailSafe Ventilation System, which is a simple solution that can save the health of many nail technicians. It then ends with this little ditto:
I believe that all nail technicians need to be trained regarding the hazards of the chemicals used in nail preparation, and the potential health risks from exposure to these materials. They need to learn the proper use of personal protective equipment such as wearing gloves, and also learn how to work within an isolation chamber.Yes I very much agree training is important and being aware of the risks will enable you to work safely, but I am not to sure how to implement the isolation chamber lol......

A great Technician that offers a fab service will only ever need to soak when there is a real need for it..and then use Product remover, buffered acetone.. and the amount that is used for a soak off, can be minimised by using the cotton wool and foil method, vapours are minimised as every thing is being kept under wraps so to speak, they are only in it for 15 minutes and not days. what are the health and safety studies for this amount off time I wonder ? Have they ever been conducted for a real life situation? How to discard old and used products safely, reducing vapours in your work zone is all part of your basic training, or at least it should be..I am all for working safe and smart, but there has to be also some concrete evidence that my minimal use of acetone or product remover is pickling my liver and that my service is actually a health hazard.

Well spotted Ruth - I didn't read the article and link because I hopefully have enough knowledge now to be competent - only soak off when needed - room well ventilated, only the right amount of monomer required for a set of nails etc ............

Thats shocking! Why would anyone concider this?!

i agree wiv teri. u mite aswell bite them off.i had my nails removed like that once.it woz in a oriental place that use electric files.i went there b4 i trained.i never went bak there after.when i understood more things.it ruined my nails.

increased birth defects????? this i so scary kristina. how much is a large quantity of acetone? there was a time when i would soak my nails once a month as i liked changing them.

Before i had my training when i used to go to hte NSS salons...obviously i avoid them at all costs (goes without saying really) but thats what they did when i used to have my nails done there. They saw the lifting and said nothing. Got a white tip and carried on slipping it under my tip and sliding it right across until it came off!!! I pulled my finger away and shouted ouch!!!! They did noting...not even flinsh, grabbed my hand and put another one on!!!

Glad i know and have been trained properly!!!!!!!!!!

Wen I trained for Gel I was told not to use Acetone as it was very bad for liver etc and to file off enhancements.

Wen I trained for Gel I was told not to use Acetone as it was very bad for liver etc and to file off enhancements.

A lot of gels are buff off and you have to file them off as they are non-porous......

surely thats only if your gonna drink the stuff !!!....lol x

They gave you incorrect information ... simple as that ... or not the right information.

Read Doug Schoons book particularly the section on acetone use ... it is actually one of the safer chemicals we use in the industry.

Thanks Gigi, glad to know. If doub schoon says it is then it is.

Thanks Gigi, glad to know. If Doug schoon says it is then it is.

Doug tells things as they are and how they relate to nail technicians .. not as so many others who tell you a distorted version of how things are (not exactly false info but not always germane to our industry and how we use things) in order to satisfy some agenda they may have.

For years and years, gel companies have done anything and everything to diss Liquid and Powder and to make technicians think that gel is safer to use for the technician, safer and less aggressive for the client etc etc. Of course we all know that gels are no safer or less safe to use than any other enhancement material .. Every system has its pros and cons that can be different for each individual and their working circumstances.

There isn't anyway that is potentially more aggressive or damaging than filing off a product, rather than a quick soak in Acetone. Having said that, you can file off without damage if you are careful and considerate to the client and her nails.

Latest posts

Back