Removing extensions & adding new!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Nailz

Reaction score
Took me ages!!!! lol

I had to remove a set of extensions that ran its course, I previously put on 6 weeks prior. After 3 infills, they were to be removed. My client had gelish and nail art along the top aswell. So I had to file everything right down. Which took a good hour and 10 minutes.

I then left a paper thin amount of gel on the natural nail, after buffing most of what I could off. I then had to prep ready for the new set. After applying her new set of tips, and Gel. My client wanted Gelish and more Nail Art.

In total, this took me 3 and half hours :eek:

Should it have taken this long, or am I slacking?!?!

Why didn't you re-balance them ?

I would of rebalanced.

removed any lifting if any , filed down bulk, filled re growth and re created arches. No need to remove and reapply,

E x

I dont understand why you would offer this choice to the clients it seems like a bit of a waste of time and product ,

well at the end of the day... isn't it down to the client what they want, not yourself?

I would of rebalanced.

removed any lifting if any , filed down bulk, filled re growth and re created arches. No need to remove and reapply,

E x

The Extension had nearly grown out!!

She doesn't like her natural nails, she likes extensions

if thats what the client really wanted then yes thats fine but make sure you are charging appropriately for your time?? for that amount of time and product i cant see any of my clients paying what i would charge for that!!

sometimes as nail technicians we have to persuade our clients to see that there is a better way, not just for them but for us!! try and encourage her togrow the tips out and have overlays especially if she is having gelish and nail art over the top anyway!! xx

I did say to her, she still had abit of extension left, and I can infill for her. But she wanted a new set, because she said, may aswell get it done now, as next time she would need a new set anyway.

So I couldn't do much more, but remove and re-apply a new set. Was alot of work. But well, she knew it would cost her for removal and then new application and gelish!

I dont understand why you would offer this choice to the clients it seems like a bit of a waste of time and product ,

I didn't offer her this at all. What makes you think I do?

It was what she wanted!!!

I totally get what your saying and if your client is willing to pay that's fine but it would be good to show her that the extension is the product. The tip is there to support the product but this can also be done using her natural nail as it grows and if she like the more fake look then adding more gel to bulk it up will do this.

E. x

I totally get what your saying and if your client is willing to pay that's fine but it would be good to show her that the extension is the product. The tip is there to support the product but this can also be done using her natural nail as it grows and if she like the more fake look then adding more gel to bulk it up will do this.

E. x

Yeah, she is young, so it's Extensions for her, all the way. It is the in thing for her and her friends! They have to have their long extensions.

Took me ages!!!! lol

I had to remove a set of extensions that ran its course, I previously put on 6 weeks prior. After 3 infills, they were to be removed. My client had gelish and nail art along the top aswell. So I had to file everything right down. Which took a good hour and 10 minutes.

I then left a paper thin amount of gel on the natural nail, after buffing most of what I could off. I then had to prep ready for the new set. After applying her new set of tips, and Gel. My client wanted Gelish and more Nail Art.

In total, this took me 3 and half hours :eek:

Should it have taken this long, or am I slacking?!?!

Is she thinking of Acrylic which is soaked off?

No point in taking off 'buff off' gel that has been in filled (unless it is lifting) just to go & replace it all again

Is she thinking of Acrylic which is soaked off?

No point in taking off 'buff off' gel that has been in filled (unless it is lifting) just to go & replace it all again

I think it is because she knew the extensions had nearly ran its course, was only a little tip left. So she wanted them replaced, so she can carry on with more infills later. Like I said, she don't like her own nails. Just extensions.... gel overlay or not!

I just have to go with what clients wants really!!

well at the end of the day... isn't it down to the client what they want, not yourself?

E. x

It is and it isn't ,
im guessing you used your Brisa gel ? witch has a covalent bond , enhancements made with it should be thought of as permanent , they are not weekend nails , or nails made for a few fills and to be removed and replaced , Brisa dose not yellow , or age badly and as the nail is constantly growing the oldest product is always moving toward the free edge and then being filed away when you do your maintenance ,

the nail tip is not there for strength if anything its a weakness ! it is there for shape and length , think of it as a semi permanent sculpting form , it is not removed but the aim of enhancements is to grow out the tip and head toward (long) natural nail overlays ,Enhancement products eg brisa is far stronger than a tip.

I could understand if your client wanted forever french and you could not do smile lines ,so had used white tips, and then you felt you could not re-balance using white gel but you said she has Gelish over them so a white or colored tip growing out would not be a problem ,

Have you learn how to re balance ? I notice you use the word infill what are you steps with this ? often the two can be confused ,

i am only asking as my collage didn't teach me how to re balance , and it was for a long time the thing i struggled most with , i had to do several one two ones and other things before it started to click with me , even then it took a hell of alot of work for me to start feeling confident with it , it is now one of my fav treatments !

if you plan on making a business out of doing enhancements you really can not avoid doing proper maintenance,

ok we don't own our clients nails but we are the professionals , we are the ones in the know ,you said your self this client is young ,
you need to know your products , know your business and have the confidence in what you do to educate the client and explain that "this" is what is done.

you said your self it took 3 and a half hours , add on your 15 mins each side to set up and be ready , thats 4 hours ,

I am really not going on at you im trying to help we have all been there (well i have :D )
Time is money hun ,

It is and it isn't ,
im guessing you used your Brisa gel ? witch has a covalent bond , enhancements made with it should be thought of as permanent , they are not weekend nails , or nails made for a few fills and to be removed and replaced , Brisa dose not yellow , or age badly and as the nail is constantly growing the oldest product is always moving toward the free edge and then being filed away when you do your maintenance ,

the nail tip is not there for strength if anything its a weakness ! it is there for shape and length , think of it as a semi permanent sculpting form , it is not removed but the aim of enhancements is to grow out the tip and head toward (long) natural nail overlays ,Enhancement products eg brisa is far stronger than a tip.

I could understand if your client wanted forever french and you could not do smile lines ,so had used white tips, and then you felt you could not re-balance using white gel but you said she has Gelish over them so a white or colored tip growing out would not be a problem ,

Have you learn how to re balance ? I notice you use the word infill what are you steps with this ? often the two can be confused ,

i am only asking as my collage didn't teach me how to re balance , and it was for a long time the thing i struggled most with , i had to do several one two ones and other things before it started to click with me , even then it took a hell of alot of work for me to start feeling confident with it , it is now one of my fav treatments !

if you plan on making a business out of doing enhancements you really can not avoid doing proper maintenance,

ok we don't own our clients nails but we are the professionals , we are the ones in the know ,you said your self this client is young ,
you need to know your products , know your business and have the confidence in what you do to educate the client and explain that "this" is what is done.

you said your self it took 3 and a half hours , add on your 15 mins each side to set up and be ready , thats 4 hours ,

I am really not going on at you im trying to help we have all been there (well i have :D )
Time is money hun ,

I quite agree, you couldn't possibly have clients like this every day. You would never earn any money & as for RSI....

for what you did i think i would be charging around £80 and even then there wouldnt be much profit to make it worth while and i cant see how young girls let alone adults would be able to afford this??

It is and it isn't ,

Time is money hun ,

That is an excellent, really informative reply that will help many, I'm sure. Well done! Xx

I'm not a nail tech but I thought I'd chip in a little with my experience of having gel overlays on natural nails:)
Last year I had overlays a few times but once my nails had grown quite long (as if I'd had enhancements) they would break right down at the sides resulting in me having to cut them all right down and start again ): maybe the client has had this happen before? And wants to have the tips re-done regularly to stop this from happening? Just a thought x

Okay....

I write a post asking if someone has took this long to remove nails and re-apply a new set. I didn't ask for anyone to want to know why I done this, or what I should have done. I am fully aware being as qualified as you, knowing what I should have done. I advised my client, and she wanted a new set. So I done them for her!

I doubt anyone here would have turned her away, just because she didn't want "rebalance" <---- also been told I say this wrong too, by saying infills >_> and yes, I know how to rebalance!!!!

You say...

This is like saying, I am not doing my job properly. It really is patronising!
I rebalanced 3 times for her. With little extension left, she felt she wanted a new set. I am sorry, but yes, I do feel like I am being criticised here on how to do my job. If you can't simply just answer my original question without going off topic...

This is the problem with this forum...we are all qualified, I have seen many times people asking for help or just mentioning something, and someone comes into their thread fire all sorts of questions, making them feel quite small.
I am quite aware what a tip is there for.... etc etc etc.

I did say, I know what I should have done, I also said I advised her!!! She wanted new extensions and that is that. If she was willing to pay for it all, then I can't do more then advise her!
I am quite angry at the replies I got to be honest.

Latest posts

Back