Rent Nail space in hairdressers on sat morning... should i or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julieanne27uk

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

My sister owns a hairdressers near where I live and she has asked me if I would like to do nails there on a saturday!!!:eek:

I work fulltime for an engineering company (stock control, production admin etc.. i'm not an engineer!). I have done my vtct x 2, creative training, airbrush training etc.. and have lots of plans to do more training. So far it has only been as a hobby / family and friends type of thing. I've just bought a house and moved out of my parents place a month ago. My idea was to do nails part time when i had the space and maybe do spray tanning too.

The idea my sister had was for me to do manicure, nail art and airbrushing on saturdays. I'd pay her a % of whatever i made. Her shop is only open from 8.30 til 2 on saturdays, so it wouldn't be a full day. I have done nails there before on a couple of occasions when she had wedding bookings in. Some of her clients that were in at the same time asked if it would be a regular thing as they would be interested in having a manicure. I've done solar and spa manicures on my sister before and she thinks her clients would love it.:)

I like the idea of doing it, but its just a big step to take as I would have to get it agreed with my boss at my main job (its in my contract I have to tell them and get their agreement) also register as self-employed for my second job, sort my own tax/NI, insurance etc... all seems complicated and daunting!! I'm trying to adjust to living by myself and I split with my boyfriend recently too:cry: though i still see him, we're trying being "friends" for bit. So it would be good to get started on something to take my mind off it.

Does it sound like a good idea? Does anyone else do a similar thing and have any tips on sorting self employed stuff out? I need a little help getting motivated to go for it.... :confused:

Seems like allot of hassle for not even 1 full day per week .. that is not service to a customer.

Nails as a profession is a part of a service industry not a hobby or a part time thing.

Personally I would never go to a technician who was not committed to me as a customer and there for me when I needed them.

What have you got to lose!

It may be the best move you ever made and you never know could be your route into doing nails full time.

I am sure if you speak to the inland revenue they will arrange to adjust your tax code on your main employment, but as being self employed this wont be for a while.

Have a look at www.hmrc.gov.uk web site as there is loads of advice on there.

GO FOR IT!

Sorry i didn't explain too well... I won't be just doing nails for a half day, the plan is to build it up to do more. It is a starting point for me really. I would also do mobile in the evenings and the rest of the weekend and my sister is happy to advertise me and my services in her shop. I will also continue doing the wedding package thing that she already offers and childrens parties.

I am only giving you the benefit of my experience. Those who do nails part time usually stay part time.

Sometimes you just have to 'pinch your nose and jump in'. The people who commit .. scary as this may seem at the time, have always said to me they wished they had done so many years earlier.

I am only giving you the benefit of my experience. Those who do nails part time usually stay part time.

Sometimes you just have to 'pinch your nose and jump in'. the people who commit .. scary as this may seem at the time, have always said to me they wished they had done so many years earlier.

I understand what you are saying Geeg but this is the only way that some people can start and build up a client base for them to give their full time job up! We all have bills that still have to be paid.

Unfortunately thats the same 'boat' i'm in. I have just bought a house and have a hefty mortgage payment every month:eek: so its not realistic for me to give up my full time job so I have to work around it if I can...

Unfortunately thats the same 'boat' i'm in. I have just bought a house and have a hefty mortgage payment every month:eek: so its not realistic for me to give up my full time job so I have to work around it if I can...

I gave up my full time job to go self employed & yes its VERY difficult at times but thats what motivates me to keep going & try & attract more business. When i was working full time i said for about a year that i would go back to doing beauty p/t & keep my office job to fall back on but i never did, then i got made redundant & thats when i decided to go for it !

Would it be possible for your sister to pay you a wage rather than you working on a self employed basis then she & your employer would sort out all the tax (i think!)

Hi bombinigirl!

I did look at me being an employee for my sister instead of self employed would save me lot of trouble, but then i wouldn't be able to sort out tax etc for the mobile side of it that I would do outside of her shop so that was a none starter. Plus all the nail equip, airbrushing equipment and products belong to me.... maybe if i ask her nicely she'd buy me some more new stuff!! but I doubt it..:o

I've made a start.....I've found the telphone number for inland revenue so I'm going to give them a ring and ask for some info etc on 2nd jobs and stuff...

Hi bombinigirl!

I did look at me being an employee for my sister instead of self employed would save me lot of trouble, but then i wouldn't be able to sort out tax etc for the mobile side of it that I would do outside of her shop so that was a none starter. Plus all the nail equip, airbrushing equipment and products belong to me.... maybe if i ask her nicely she'd buy me some more new stuff!! but I doubt it..:o

I've made a start.....I've found the telphone number for inland revenue so I'm going to give them a ring and ask for some info etc on 2nd jobs and stuff...

Have you looked on their website to ? I did one of the business start up courses & everybody apart from me had a second job so it can't be to difficult to sort out alternativly you could think about getting an accountant.

Im in a very similar boat too - I hate my current job (office work) and all I want to do is work in my own salon doing beauty treatments and nails! I am advertising as a mobile therapist and nail tech at the moment but I have decided (2 days ago!) that I am going to get a prt time job (enough to cover half my bills and mortgage, as my boyfriend pays half too) then I will try to rent a room part time and when my clients build up I can rent the room full time. I think I have more chance of building up a clientele from a salon than as a mobile therpiast. Im planning on starting this at the beginning of nxt month, after my pay day in my office job!
Its a bit risky leaving a full time job completely and starting out as there will still be costs involved in setting up, but I think as part time u can build up to full time, but then again you could jack everything in to start up a salon and never look back - which Im sure will be the case, but Im not that daring!Fingers crossed all will go well. x

Hi LMB!

I'm definitely not that daring either!! Luckily I quite enjoy my office job, plus it pays the bills.. my hours are quite good too, I start early (7.30) but i'm home by 5 o'clock which gives me spare time to do evening nail work hopefully. Good luck with your room renting plans!! :)

Thankyou, good luck to you too - keep me updated on what happens and I will you too! Think it will help to show us it can be done!!

Latest posts

Back