Research study on Nail Salons

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Divaa

Reaction score
Currently studying for a Foundation degree in Salon and Spa Management and I have been requested as part of the course to write a professional research report/study on a topic that is related to a nail salon.

Please can anyone recommended a suitable subject/topic which is causing concerns for the salon industry.

I await your comments.

Currently studying for a Foundation degree in Salon and Spa Management and I have been requested as part of the course to write a professional research report/study on a topic that is related to a nail salon.

Please can anyone recommended a suitable subject/topic which is causing concerns for the salon industry.

I await your comments.

I'm just starting out. I don't own or work in a salon, yet.

I think Non Standard Salons(NNS) would be a good subject.

Lx
Posted via Mobile Device

I await your comments.

Not exactly a concern, but every manufacturer of nail enhancement products recommends EXTRACTION Ventilation to minimise odours and vapours and dust.

The fact is that very few salons or technicians actually ever bother to go to the expense of installing it even though it is a safety recommendation by those who make nail products . Instead technicians it seem prefer to spend their money on cool decoration or wood floors!!

Now it is actually easy to minimise dust and vapours with good work practices (which you will find here on the site if you do a search on minimizing odour. It is also easy to install extraction ventilation and it should be done by all.

You can also look in the articles section here on the site and glean allot of information on extraction ventilation and other issues that may spark your imagination for the topic you choose.

I think Geeg's topic is great for you to argue both sides as you will have salon/spa layout information.
Another topic which we love to discuss is qualifications and licencing again hit the search button

I gratefully appreciate all your comments and will look further into these areas. :)

As most of us as nail technicians and others, are aware of the non standard salons, but not enough support to enable the ban of mma. As majority councils are aware of the mma and not being illegal, and a small % of county council have bann the use of mma in salons. But if US have banned the substance chemical mma. Why the UK just can't put an official ban on mma use. Some salons in the area are using mma, but as i am aware of the product, the customer ask the salons that do they use the chemical mma and are told no. So why don't they open up and say they do. As its people like me who has to see to these clients with damaged nails. I photo copied the article on 'Mp calls for ban on MMA' in A3 from the Nail File Newspaper (winter 2008) and displayed on window for a week and covered 3,000 houses with flyers of what is mma? what it can do to you? and the disadvantages. But the customers still choose to go to the non standard salons, as there prices are so cheaper. My husband is happy to stand in town with the article printed on a t.shirt and hand out the mma flyers to give customers awareness. I've told him to hold on until i might come up with a better solution. :confused:

As most of us as nail technicians and others, are aware of the non standard salons, but not enough support to enable the ban of mma. As majority councils are aware of the mma and not being illegal, and a small % of county council have bann the use of mma in salons. But if US have banned the substance chemical mma. Why the UK just can't put an official ban on mma use. Some salons in the area are using mma, but as i am aware of the product, the customer ask the salons that do they use the chemical mma and are told no. So why don't they open up and say they do. As its people like me who has to see to these clients with damaged nails. I photo copied the article on 'Mp calls for ban on MMA' in A3 from the Nail File Newspaper (winter 2008) and displayed on window for a week and covered 3,000 houses with flyers of what is mma? what it can do to you? and the disadvantages. But the customers still choose to go to the non standard salons, as there prices are so cheaper. My husband is happy to stand in town with the article printed on a t.shirt and hand out the mma flyers to give customers awareness. I've told him to hold on until i might come up with a better solution. :confused:

There is a simple answer to your question and really it is obvious ... MONEY and MANPOWER (which is also money at the end of the day).

Products would have to be seized form salons ... then tested ... and there is not the manpower or money to pay for the tests. End of story.

Another point is that people are not suing these guys when their nails are damaged. Damage grows out for the most part so what are you going to sue them for? It costs money to sue people and it costs time. So they keep on getting away with it.

Why do they use it??? MONEY again .. The stuff is dirt cheap.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. We can alert people to the dangers but you can't make them stop going. some people are pretty stupid. Who cares? I get on with my own business with those that do care.

Your comments are definately true. Thankyou :)

What proof is there that NNS are actually using MMA???????? In a lab, acrylic (after application) may be examined. It does no need to be the pre application product.

What proof is there that NNS are actually using MMA???????? In a lab, acrylic (after application) may be examined. It does no need to be the pre application product.

Many salons are and many salons are not using MMA .. my point is that the man power and money is not and never will be made available for the purpose of testing product from these salons to determine if they are or are not using MMA.

I know I recognise MMA when I come across it by the smell for a start and by how it reacts (or doesn't) when I have tried to remove it in the normal way and often by the look but not always. Most experienced nail techs can.

I must confess I have never heard of there being a test for polymerized product to see if MMA monomer was used (I will have to ask Doug about that to verify the truth of that statement) so are you suggesting that clients will go voluntarily and pay to have their nails tested in a lab? Actually I'm not really sure what the point of your post is exactly.

hi

could you tell me how you are finding this course?, i am a beauty therapist but run a beauty/nail/hair salon and am considering doing this course in my local colege, do you find it helpful? do you work in a salon?

hi

could you tell me how you are finding this course?, i am a beauty therapist but run a beauty/nail/hair salon and am considering doing this course in my local colege, do you find it helpful? do you work in a salon?

Hi,
If you do a search on ucas.com, it will give you a list of all the Universities & Colleges that offer a Foundation Degree/Degree similar to this.
Im currently studying a Degree in International Spa Management at the University of Derby in Buxton but know that you can do it distance learning.
Hths
xx

It is an excellent course to follow from the nvq 3 and within a year of being on the course i have been able to put a lot more into perspective within the salon as i have implemmented all the learning from the modules and gained so much in practice within the salon and look forward to sept again to complete the second year.

Is there any other interesting things that can be explored to look into salon / spa as a professional research study for my course that would be of an interest to research

Not exactly a concern, but every manufacturer of nail enhancement products recommends EXTRACTION Ventilation to minimise odours and vapours and dust.

The fact is that very few salons or technicians actually ever bother to go to the expense of installing it even though it is a safety recommendation by those who make nail products . Instead technicians it seem prefer to spend their money on cool decoration or wood floors!!

Now it is actually easy to minimise dust and vapours with good work practices (which you will find here on the site if you do a search on minimizing odour. It is also easy to install extraction ventilation and it should be done by all.

You can also look in the articles section here on the site and glean allot of information on extraction ventilation and other issues that may spark your imagination for the topic you choose.

Totally agree!

not sure if this would work, but definately very topical. How about some research / report into reducing any environmental impact of salons / spas.

I am quite worried about the general waste from my salon - rolls and rolls of couch roll (that has generally just been laid upon by someone often fully clothed), fabric or paper wax strips, soiled cotton wool etc ........ Old tubes from sunbeds. All of these things are of course disposed of in the proper manner, but I sometimes wonder if there are alternatives.

In a spa you would have other factors as well, ie the chemical adjusters required for pools/jacuzzis, chlorine etc. The energy implications of such facilities with the heaters, pumps and filters running. The number of towels laundered daily etc.......

I am not an "environmentalist" and dont have answers to the above - just a suggestion for your research. But please whatever happens, dont produce anything that will result in further regulations for us!

Thankyou for your comments

Latest posts

Back