Right time to go mobile?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luscious85

Reaction score
Hi,

I've written about this before but things are a little bit different and more real now I'm qualified so I'd really appreiciate some advice from fellow Geeks and those who have been in a similar situation!

I should start off by saying that I'm a qualified Beauty Therapist, and my goal is to set up my own mobile beauty business. I'm currently working full-time in a large company marketing dept where I've worked for 7 years (since I was 18) and my job is very involved and entails lots of overseas and UK travelling. I know that the ideal scenario would be for me to build up a evenings and weekends client base alongside my job but it's just not the sort of job where it would be appropriate to do that, and my hours are so unpredictable and the travel so frequent that I'd just not be able to manage clients properly. So next best is to find part-time employment.

I'm lucky enough to be still living at home, but I do have financial commitments aside from rent etc, one particularly hefty one which I need to make sure I pay each month. If I was disciplined enough I could probably clear it in the next 6 months, but by then I'd be more sucked into my full-time job and part way through a year of trips. My feeling is that the end of this year would be a good time to leave if I'm going to, and I have to give 8 weeks notice. I've been doing lots of work on the business side recently because I've been on holiday, and I'm feeling really excited and determined, and I don't want this moment to pass me by. I feel like now is the time to do something about this. My business cards and price lists are done, my website is on its way, and I have all the equipment I need more or less - I bought things as I went along during college. I don't need any extra funding - I'm funding everything myself.

Should I wait another 6 months until things financially are a bit freer, or should I bite the bullet, hand my notice in, find part-time work, and finally launch my beauty business? My friends are very supportive however my Mum (who I live with) is quite negative about the idea. I know she only wants the best for me, but it's hard to pursue dreams when deep down we all seek approval from our most important people. But then we can't live our lives according to other people!

I'm used to hard work/long hours etc and I know I'd make a go of things. Just need some sound advice as I feel as though I'm at a bit of a crossroads!

Thankyou in advance,

L x

this isn't said from a professional been there done that point of view but i think the best thing to do would be to stick where you are and clear the debt(s) you have right now, maybe try and put some extra aside if you can as an emergency fund. the last thing you want on top of all the stress and pressure of starting a new career is worrying about making enough money to meet your financial commitments. 6months isn't long to wait at all, the time will soon pass and then you will have a completely clean financial slate to start from. x

I agree with Miss Confused stay where you are for a while and clear up any debts you have.

I recently started out mobile spray tanning and I was going to pack my job in (luckily it is only part time) but I have been there nearly 4 years and it is a really good job just not what I want to do. My B/F told me to stay put and not get carried away, at the time I was angry for him saying this, now I am so glad he did.

Mobile can take AGES to pick up and if I would have packed my job in I would have been in such a bad position and probably really fed up.

No matter how much you love beauty and feel a passion for changing just get a bit more financially stable first. Especially in this economic climate you have to play everything extra safe.

I know how you are feeling I love beauty and started out this year but have had to do it eves and weekends alongside my PA job in London which is really hard work! It's built up well and there's nothing I'd rather to more than quit and do it FT but I can't take the risk at the mo! Dec is looking full but Jan Feb will be quiet and it'll make you despondant! It's taken me time to build up client base and confidence and there's no way I could have survived it without another job. I know you want to go but people are right you can't do it just yet esp. with nothing lined up! I tried to cut my hours down at work but it was a no go so I've been looking for local work or PT but it really is baren out there, getting a PT job could take a while! I know its not what you want to hear and its not what I want to do either but sticking with the other job is the boring, sensible idea untill you feel comfortable that you're debt free!

HTH
Nat :)

I started a mobile business earlier this year and still work fulltime. It takes so long to build up a client base! I've mostly tended to get people booking for an occasional treat treatment - hardly any who have regular treatments. It takes time for word-of-mouth to get out there and although my website has been doing well, it's not like a salon where you have people walking past etc.

Ultimately I'd like to have a home salon and do that full time, but right now there's no way I could quit my fulltime job - the drop in income would be massive x

Hi, I left my job last November, put myself through college and in April this year became qualified. I have set up mobile since qualifying but I must say that it has recently become very very difficult. Initially the money seemed quite good (considering what everyone says about setting up) but since August work has plumetted!

I'm still waiting for it to pick up again but i've been told by local salons that this is a quiet time of the year. It has now come to the point where I am looking for part time or temporary work.

Ultimately I don't regret it.. but it's a struggle to say the least.

Steph

Thankyou all for your replies - very very helpful and this has made me give my short-term plan some thought. I did think that starting a mobile business in January, a quiet time, was probably not the best idea and it's a very valid point that 6 months isn't long and it will be worth it to have one less thing to worry about and have my financial commitment out the way.

Thankyou again and best wishes with your ventures too.

Laura x

Hi, I left my job last November, put myself through college and in April this year became qualified. I have set up mobile since qualifying but I must say that it has recently become very very difficult. Initially the money seemed quite good (considering what everyone says about setting up) but since August work has plumetted!

I'm still waiting for it to pick up again but i've been told by local salons that this is a quiet time of the year. It has now come to the point where I am looking for part time or temporary work.

Ultimately I don't regret it.. but it's a struggle to say the least.

Steph

obviously this is easy for me to say as i'm not in your position but i'd be so reluctant to get a part time job. you don't have to spend money on advertising - you can do an awful lot of advertising on the internet for free eg. using facebook/myspace/twitter, using forums of your local area to make people aware you are here and you are available for appointments, aswell as websites like net mums. if you have special offers on at the moment and they aren't working/attracting clients then why aren't they? maybe have a look at changing the offers? get texting/emailing/instant messaging all those who are on your mailing list with your fab new offers!

i'm not sure what you offer treatment wise but don't forget about christmas weddings, it's not just about the office parties. speaking of office parties actually, get in touch with local businesses and offer special discounts/packages to their staff for their christmas party or offer them discounts for booking and paying in advance. you could always include your own terms and conditions like must be minimum of 4 people for eg. but atleast you will be getting money in.

don't forget after christmas there is valentines day, there is proms, then there's holiday season. not just that but there will be many special week events like for eg. it's just been chocolate week so don't forget about themed treatments so you can send out marketing messages to thoseon your mailing list - even if you think they wont be interested in the themes you are offering you are still keeping your name fresh in their mind and you can always talk about other treatments at the same time.

i think when you get a part time job the pressure comes off you as it's not as much of a worry to make money so you wont push yourself as hard to make your mobile business work. sooo don't give up and take a step back!! get out there and make it work! :D x

I know there are lots of threads on here talking about marketing, but I've come up with an idea for getting my name out there to women's groups etc which you could perhaps use too: I've designed a questionnaire on beauty therapy, just to get people thinking about mobile beauty therapy and the benefits. At the bottom I've asked them to leave their first name, and to every one who completes one I'll send them back an introductory gift voucher. I have a local WI group lined up to test this on, and they have about 35 members. It could also be used on mother and toddlers groups, women's business groups etc. Just an idea if things are a bit slow.

X

Latest posts

Back