Room hire, what do you think is reasonable to pay?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigi

Reaction score
Hello

I am looking at renting a room and have seen a few , but I am a bit confused on what would be seen as a going rate as the prices I have been quoted are very different.

I was wondering if you would give me your opinion.

room one, in a busy hair salon, one room , no furniture etc and inc of bills 80 per week.

room two in a busy hair salon, one room no furniture and inc of bills and i am allowed to come into the salon to work also. 130 per week.

window space in the salon, £100 per week.

room three, quieter salon, kitted out with furniture £200 per week.

I live in north wales, so we are in the sticks a bit.

what do you think?

expensive? reasonable? or should i keep looking?

When I started out, I rented a room in a beauty salon.. the owner wanted €300:eek:.. I told her no and she went down to €150.. I loved the salon and really wanted the room so I paid it (most weeks I just made my rent) afterwards I found out that her rent for the whole salon (ten treatment rooms) was €350.. she was trying to rip me off.. I ended up buying the whole salon from her and ran a beauty salon. (after 3 years of renting the room)

Usually they determin the rent by square footage, so you could ring your local esate agent just to get a rough idea what the owner would be paying herself.

Now I rent a space in a hair salon (you don't need a room to do nails) and it's so much better and I'm out the door with clients.. I pay €70
HTH x x:hug:

thanks Karen

to be honest I was not expecting to pay £100 per week (I thought it was a lot) but there again, I dont know much about rents in my local area, so i will definately get in touch with some local estate agents.

I dont mind having a room but I would really like to be able to come into the salon too and offer my services as people are having their hair done as well.

thank you for your comments.

tig

room one sounds about the best; busy, good rent, so as lng as the staff are nice and you will get clients that one sounds good!

i pay £650 rent a month, for a 'room'. but because its upstairs in the salon i also have a bathroom and small waiting room. I just sorta claimed them though really lol.

Try contacting the local council property office. They deal with council owned commercial properties and also have a view on business rates properties are charged for. They will be able to tell you their current rental costs for commercial property that they rent (small to large commercial units and shops) Remember that you also need to ask what % they use for the rates for the space too. Also remember that if a property is a sole premises for a business then that business may qualify for a 50% reduction in its rates under the small business initiative scheme setup by the government. The same people at the council will be able to point you in the right direction for this too. But if you are just looking to rent space in an existing shop then at least you will have an idea what it is costing the current tenant/owner.

room one sounds about the best; busy, good rent, so as lng as the staff are nice and you will get clients that one sounds good!

i pay £650 rent a month, for a 'room'. but because its upstairs in the salon i also have a bathroom and small waiting room. I just sorta claimed them though really lol.
Wow!! that's a lot of money to pay for a room!

There's a beauty room near me for rent £50. a week and a space for a nail table in the hairdresser can advertise how & where i like and do what i like to the room id jump at it if i had the clients and was ready to set up now! :cry:

There's a beauty room near me for rent £50. a week and a space for a nail table in the hairdresser can advertise how & where i like and do what i like to the room id jump at it if i had the clients and was ready to set up now! :cry:

i started with no clients!!!
DO IT!

hi, i pay £650 per month and that dosnt include my rates! and the thing is i only hav to small rooms, had to kit them out myself, and no window for ventillation! and iv been told my rent is goin up in march an extra £86 a month!
i think people are panicking and charging wot they feel like! i hav a whole housefor less than i pay!
it dosnt seem a bad price, but it depends on the size of the space and the location! iam in the north wales area too.

Blimey... you could have a mortgage on a four room building for less than that!! Surely that can't be right?

I wouldn't be surprised if that actually covers the cost of the whole mortgage or rent that they pay in the first place :eek:

If I found somewhere now for £50 a week with no clients I would take it because if you work hard enough to get them in you can easily cover that cost in a week.

I'd say KateLisa's is more a small salon then a 'room'
Rent depends on where you are renting, how much does the employer pay for rent plus overheads and have they given you a figure that is equall to a portion of that or are they trying to pull a fast one like Karen's previous owner? I pay out ALOT for my rent and rates then add bills etc so if you were to rent here it would be quite a substantial amount tho nothing near what I would pay.
My rent is more as I have a decent sized unit, in the centre of town in a high traffic area so if you want to be part of it your rent would be higher than if you were out of town, upstairs or in quiet areas

Latest posts

Back