Rudest thing a client has ever said to you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Client says to me " not really feeling a consultation here "

I have people saythat their daughter wants to do beauty therapy, but they don't want them too because they're too clever!

Started working for my boss who took over a failing salon in April.
Every time this one difficult client comes in with her children she is rude! First time, my first day at the salon she was peeved that her usual stylist had left (salon appointment book had NO phone numbers ever!) so we couldn't ring to let her know. Anyway she said how ridiculous it is that she can't find a hairdresser that doesn't go on holiday or leave or have time off, when I introduced my self to say I'd be cutting her sons hair today she said. 'OH NO! No you are not you don't look experienced enough he has a double crown!'
I said 'that's fine if you feel that way I qualified in 2009 so I have quite a few years on the shop floor but if you'd like to wait for someone else I can let the manager know'
'WELL! We'll see how you do!'
Clearly I done well because she rebooked. And I cut the eldest sons hair regularly.
Next time she bought her other younger son in.
'Storms over with her phone, showing me pictures of this so called god awful haircut that I had done previously, looked like was something out of towie, he is my baby boy and you thought THIS was how he should look!?' (He is 9)
'Firstly I understand you didn't like his last hair cut however I have never cut your sons hair.'
'YES YOU HAVE! It was you! In here!'
' look I cut *childs name* but I have never cut *other child's names* hair, it was probably one of the previous stylist.'
'No it was you it was in March I full well remember because you're blonde.'
'But I started in April so it couldn't have been me.'
'Well I can't remember then but they were blonde and it wasn't a cut my baby should have had'
Sighhhhhh here comes the longest consultation ever about a haircut that was technically sound!

Third time it's the daughter
'She has a phobia of hairdressers because you all Seem to think a trim means 5inches!'
'Here's my inch. Shows an inch. And this is what I will take off.'
'Ok can you show *daughters name* the hair you'll be taking off? Because she doesn't trust you.' ( I had to do this with EVERY section!'
Kid was happy. Sure the mum wasn't happy about something.
My boss said next time she is in do not take any rudeness off of her it's not on and we will deal with it.

Today final and last time I hope to see her again.
Daughters booked in so is the youngest son.

Arrives 20 minutes early huff and puffs doing the watch check every few minutes because I'm busy with my client.
Comes to sitting down.
Mum: ' I think we'll sit over here, they're to talkative over there.' Walks over to the end styling unit, points at my colleague who is just chatting as normal.
'No sorry we're having maintenance on that chair my section is over here. Take a seat, what are we doing today another tidy up?'
'NO! I said on the phone it was a proper haircut God don't you listen!'
' I didn't take your phone call sorry, so what are we doing, *feels through the hair and the entire underneath is matted*.
'Yeah she's going to need you to brush it she isn't very good at it, ( she's in secondary school) anyway we have a picture and we need your opinion on if it will work and if it will suit her.'
'Ok no problem Pictures are great *shows me an a symmetric short cut with one ear on show and a swooping fringe* right ok so you want to take a lot off? Have you had your hair short before?'
Mum butts in.
'That's not important this is what she wants will it suit her'
'Sure it will suit her I need to make sure that she understands the daily styling if this haircut that's needed, *turn to the daughter* what's your morning routine with your hair?'
Mum butts in.
'You're not confident. You don't want to do it. I would rather you just say you don't want to do it because you aren't confident enough.'
At this point I'm getting pissed. Belittling me every time when I'm not in anyway not confident I don't appear unconfident in anything and especially not my consultations!
'Look I am perfectly fine with cutting your daughters hair. What I want to happen is for your daughter to love it, and be able to style it her self at home, I don't want her struggling because she cant style it correctly at home and recreate the look that I give her in the salon, so *to the daughter* you have a centre parting right now so you will need to train your hair to sit comfortable in this swooping fringe, are you ok with that in the mornings before school? There's a lot you can do with this style funk it up a bit or wear it Sm.....'
Mum again.
'THATS IT! I'm not having this. You don't want to do it. That's it. We're leaving!'
'Mum what about the other picture!?'
'Nope we're leaving!'
'Mum what about the other hairstyle? She knows what she's doing!? Please!'
I walked off I know I should have but I left her to go to reception and warn my boss.
My boss says what's wrong?
'DOESNT MATTER!!'
Boss says 'yes it does matter can I help?'
'NO!'
'Mum please the other picture!?'
'NO I WONT HAVE HER QUESTIONING YOUR CHOICES!!!'
And that was that.

No idea what her issue is, not sure why she's so rude. All I know is o never gave her a reason to slate me but she treated me like an idiot every time she came in. Good riddance!

Sorry longggggggg post but it's been a long day and I was happy to see this thread [emoji38][emoji38]

I had a man cold call into the salon, holding a black file with a well know business logo on it... I was extremely busy and didn't have the patience to chat with uninvited reps this particular day.
He looked at me and then asked "Could I speak with the manager?"
I said "We don't have a manager, just a business owner and staff!" Smiling I quickly followed up with saying "how can I help?"
He replied by saying "I don't mean to be offensive but I think it's best if I speak with the owner" winked and then said, "All this business talk might be a little too much for that pretty head of yours!"
I was pissed off... But calmly said just give me a minute and I'll go get her!
I walked off down the corridor, walked into a treatment room and then walked back out again.
He stood there waiting, looking past me as I walked back towards him... I stopped in front of him and after a few seconds he looked back at me again.
I said "Hello, my names Angela I believe you're wanting to speak with me!"
He went bright red and stuttered about leaving a brochure with me and quickly left... No apology... He never made a follow up call either.
I'm never really like this, I'm not quick thinking in matters like this so I was actually pleased with myself [emoji3]

I had a man cold call into the salon, holding a black file with a well know business logo on it... I was extremely busy and didn't have the patience to chat with uninvited reps this particular day.
He looked at me and then asked "Could I speak with the manager?"
I said "We don't have a manager, just a business owner and staff!" Smiling I quickly followed up with saying "how can I help?"
He replied by saying "I don't mean to be offensive but I think it's best if I speak with the owner" winked and then said, "All this business talk might be a little too much for that pretty head of yours!"
I was pissed off... But calmly said just give me a minute and I'll go get her!
I walked off down the corridor, walked into a treatment room and then walked back out again.
He stood there waiting, looking past me as I walked back towards him... I stopped in front of him and after a few seconds he looked back at me again.
I said "Hello, my names Angela I believe you're wanting to speak with me!"
He went bright red and stuttered about leaving a brochure with me and quickly left... No apology... He never made a follow up call either.
I'm never really like this, I'm not quick thinking in matters like this so I was actually pleased with myself [emoji3]
Love it. You should have sent him down the road to me lol x

@Suzanne-hair1 O.. . M....G!!! Wtf?? I'm afraid I'd of asked her to leave if I was your boss, no one should speak and treat people like that

@Suzanne-hair1 O.. . M....G!!! Wtf?? I'm afraid I'd of asked her to leave if I was your boss, no one should speak and treat people like that

I know! I think it happened so quick that it was a bit like oh my god what's going on!?
The last time she was in she said if she's rude again I'll tell her not to come back, and this time she missed it! [emoji107] my boss has already got an old lady banned for being horrible consistently! [emoji38]
I'm not sure why some people think they can talk to us like we're below them, I think that particular lady may have some issue because her husband and the kids are perfectly fine x

Started working for my boss who took over a failing salon in April.
Every time this one difficult client comes in with her children she is rude! First time, my first day at the salon she was peeved that her usual stylist had left (salon appointment book had NO phone numbers ever!) so we couldn't ring to let her know. Anyway she said how ridiculous it is that she can't find a hairdresser that doesn't go on holiday or leave or have time off, when I introduced my self to say I'd be cutting her sons hair today she said. 'OH NO! No you are not you don't look experienced enough he has a double crown!'
I said 'that's fine if you feel that way I qualified in 2009 so I have quite a few years on the shop floor but if you'd like to wait for someone else I can let the manager know'
'WELL! We'll see how you do!'
Clearly I done well because she rebooked. And I cut the eldest sons hair regularly.
Next time she bought her other younger son in.
'Storms over with her phone, showing me pictures of this so called god awful haircut that I had done previously, looked like was something out of towie, he is my baby boy and you thought THIS was how he should look!?' (He is 9)
'Firstly I understand you didn't like his last hair cut however I have never cut your sons hair.'
'YES YOU HAVE! It was you! In here!'
' look I cut *childs name* but I have never cut *other child's names* hair, it was probably one of the previous stylist.'
'No it was you it was in March I full well remember because you're blonde.'
'But I started in April so it couldn't have been me.'
'Well I can't remember then but they were blonde and it wasn't a cut my baby should have had'
Sighhhhhh here comes the longest consultation ever about a haircut that was technically sound!

Third time it's the daughter
'She has a phobia of hairdressers because you all Seem to think a trim means 5inches!'
'Here's my inch. Shows an inch. And this is what I will take off.'
'Ok can you show *daughters name* the hair you'll be taking off? Because she doesn't trust you.' ( I had to do this with EVERY section!'
Kid was happy. Sure the mum wasn't happy about something.
My boss said next time she is in do not take any rudeness off of her it's not on and we will deal with it.

Today final and last time I hope to see her again.
Daughters booked in so is the youngest son.

Arrives 20 minutes early huff and puffs doing the watch check every few minutes because I'm busy with my client.
Comes to sitting down.
Mum: ' I think we'll sit over here, they're to talkative over there.' Walks over to the end styling unit, points at my colleague who is just chatting as normal.
'No sorry we're having maintenance on that chair my section is over here. Take a seat, what are we doing today another tidy up?'
'NO! I said on the phone it was a proper haircut God don't you listen!'
' I didn't take your phone call sorry, so what are we doing, *feels through the hair and the entire underneath is matted*.
'Yeah she's going to need you to brush it she isn't very good at it, ( she's in secondary school) anyway we have a picture and we need your opinion on if it will work and if it will suit her.'
'Ok no problem Pictures are great *shows me an a symmetric short cut with one ear on show and a swooping fringe* right ok so you want to take a lot off? Have you had your hair short before?'
Mum butts in.
'That's not important this is what she wants will it suit her'
'Sure it will suit her I need to make sure that she understands the daily styling if this haircut that's needed, *turn to the daughter* what's your morning routine with your hair?'
Mum butts in.
'You're not confident. You don't want to do it. I would rather you just say you don't want to do it because you aren't confident enough.'
At this point I'm getting pissed. Belittling me every time when I'm not in anyway not confident I don't appear unconfident in anything and especially not my consultations!
'Look I am perfectly fine with cutting your daughters hair. What I want to happen is for your daughter to love it, and be able to style it her self at home, I don't want her struggling because she cant style it correctly at home and recreate the look that I give her in the salon, so *to the daughter* you have a centre parting right now so you will need to train your hair to sit comfortable in this swooping fringe, are you ok with that in the mornings before school? There's a lot you can do with this style funk it up a bit or wear it Sm.....'
Mum again.
'THATS IT! I'm not having this. You don't want to do it. That's it. We're leaving!'
'Mum what about the other picture!?'
'Nope we're leaving!'
'Mum what about the other hairstyle? She knows what she's doing!? Please!'
I walked off I know I should have but I left her to go to reception and warn my boss.
My boss says what's wrong?
'DOESNT MATTER!!'
Boss says 'yes it does matter can I help?'
'NO!'
'Mum please the other picture!?'
'NO I WONT HAVE HER QUESTIONING YOUR CHOICES!!!'
And that was that.

No idea what her issue is, not sure why she's so rude. All I know is o never gave her a reason to slate me but she treated me like an idiot every time she came in. Good riddance!

Sorry longggggggg post but it's been a long day and I was happy to see this thread [emoji38][emoji38]
Feel so sorry for the girl! She clearly wanted a change and had got her self ready for having quite a bit cut off and all you was doing was telling her it will need some work in a morning you can't just get up and go! I'd of been so embarrassed if it was me and my mum did that!

Feel so sorry for the girl! She clearly wanted a change and had got her self ready for having quite a bit cut off and all you was doing was telling her it will need some work in a morning you can't just get up and go! I'd of been so embarrassed if it was me and my mum did that!

I know! Felt sorry for her, but I couldn't get a decent consultation in and really help her with a mother like that butting in and questioning my abilities! Whatever I did she would have absolutely hated so I was never going win [emoji36] some people! X

I agree.... This woman has issues that have nothing to do with you or your work, so do not take it personally.
When you experience this level of rudeness and aggression, I would refuse to treat...It seldom ends well. :(

I agree.... This woman has issues that have nothing to do with you or your work, so do not take it personally.
When you experience this level of rudeness and aggression, I would refuse to treat...It seldom ends well. :(

Yep 100%!
I know I have never done anything to make her distrust my abilities of anything I've proven her wrong so I try not to take it personally, still in are everyone can agree any client unhappy for whatever reason will put a big cloud over your day even when you've had a full day of every other client loving their hair! [emoji107]
My boss and I agreed that we won't allow her to book again. Phew. Don't need that kind of client! X

When working from my small home my client was telling me about her very well to do mother who goes to posh salons and spas. She said "I mean no offence but she'd never come to someone like you".
Her mother moved to the area and became a good client. It was years ago this lady said it but I'm like an elephant - I never forget!

I have people saythat their daughter wants to do beauty therapy, but they don't want them too because they're too clever!

Good lord!! I mean you have to be really dumb to do beauty because I mean anatomy,physiology,pathology,microbiology,science,finance,working out business plans,studying of the endocrine system, origin &insertion of muscle groups, lymphatic drainage, contra-actions,contra-indications etc etc etc, yeah we are all slightly below average, us thick beauty therapists!!!

Recently I had someone ask me if I was "like properly qualified, did you study to do what you do!?" [emoji30][emoji30][emoji107][emoji107]

I had someone come into the salon and say 'aren't beauty people supposed to be like really pretty' I was just like [emoji50]

That is so nasty.

Good lord!! I mean you have to be really dumb to do beauty because I mean anatomy,physiology,pathology,microbiology,science,finance,working out business plans,studying of the endocrine system, origin &insertion of muscle groups, lymphatic drainage, contra-actions,contra-indications etc etc etc, yeah we are all slightly below average, us thick beauty therapists!!!

Recently I had someone ask me if I was "like properly qualified, did you study to do what you do!?" [emoji30][emoji30][emoji107][emoji107]

This USED to be the case, not any more!
Come on folks, we all know there is a huge problem out there with the 'YOU TUBE' trained.:mad:
Not forgetting the 'quickie, NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE NECESSARY, day courses.:eek:

This USED to be the case, not any more!
Come on folks, we all know there is a huge problem out there with the 'YOU TUBE' trained.:mad:
Not forgetting the 'quickie, NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE NECESSARY, day courses.:eek:
TRUE! [emoji35]......in this case ignorance isn't bliss just stupid! [emoji23]

I believe they think that all it is just putting on nail polish, whacking some cream on a face and rubbing a few sore muscles. They dont realise that we have to know about ingredients, cosmetic chemistry, skin conditions, contraindications etc etc
To me, i find it extremely offensive when they say this. Ive spent over $40,000 on my education and have studied bloody hard! They think we're idiots when infact they sound like the idiot when making such remarks

A HD Brows client of mine always talks about how her daughter loves everything about eyebrows and is really good at doing her own and her friends. So I said "has she ever thought about doing a course and going pro?" To which she replied...."oh no she wants a proper job!" Haha I just don't think they realise what they're saying! I wonder how she thinks my "pretend" job pays for my car, flat, holidays etc [emoji23]

My daughters sociology teacher actually cited nail technicians as being amongst the lowest income bracket and the joke of it is, if I worked full time (which I could but don't from choice) I'd be earning a lot more than him lol

Latest posts

Back