Rudest thing a client has ever said to you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about replying........

"Hair and beauty's the most popular course they offer in the Rehabilitation unit. :p

Haha love it![emoji23]

When every client I have that day asks me when I'm going to get married

When every client I have that day asks me when I'm going to get married
My client, family AND friends have been asking me this lately. Very annoying!

There is no let up. Once you've got married they keep asking when you're going to have a baby. When you have a baby they keep asking if you're going to have another. Grrrr.

Genuine question now, why does it bother you when people ask if your planning on getting married or planning children in your future?

The reason I ask is because I do that to clients all the time! They mention their bf and my next questions are those, I never thought of it being an upsetting question? I'll stop if it really is :confused:

I understand some people can't have children so I can understand they wouldn't want to discuss that but most of the time they'd just say how it is, they don't appear offended?

People ask me about getting married too n it never bothers me?

Genuine question now, why does it bother you when people ask if your planning on getting married or planning children in your future?

The reason I ask is because I do that to clients all the time! They mention their bf and my next questions are those, I never thought of it being an upsetting question? I'll stop if it really is :confused:

I understand some people can't have children so I can understand they wouldn't want to discuss that but most of the time they'd just say how it is, they don't appear offended?

I guess because they may be going through a struggle with it. Eg they're desperate to get married and partner refuses/doesn't want to? And client doesn't feel comfortable to say that?

I get this one almost weekly "I don't like my brows thin, I like them thicker .... BUT not like yours" insert disgusted look here [emoji23] I do have very thick eyebrows naturally but often think "b*tch you couldn't have brows like mine if you wanted, sit down" ha ha

or when doing someone's make up I was once told " I like full coverage but not that iced cake effect you've got going on" ( I'm super pale too and like matt skin) ha ha

I guess because they may be going through a struggle with it. Eg they're desperate to get married and partner refuses/doesn't want to? And client doesn't feel comfortable to say that?

This, absolutely. Or there may be financial issues, religious problems to be overcome, etc

Obv if it's the baby question, there might be a fertility issue, a miscarriage you might not be aware of, an unwilling partner, or a feeling that they need more time without kids and don't need to be made to feel selfish for not wanting to rush into parenthood.

Or any number of other things. I never ask, I don't want to open a wound.

Once they tell me they're pregnant or getting married, though, I want all the details they'll give!

Sometimes I ask without asking. Like if someone has just got married, I turn around and say, 'I bet everyone's pestering you about children now.'

Well it's not so much rude but just more annoying when it comes from my routine clients who see me every 4 weeks. I live in the bible belt so it's not always asked out genuine interest

I didn't used to bother about the children question but recently lost a baby at 18 weeks clients didn't even know I was pregnant, it was awful had to give birth to this tiny little girl then I found the baby question since that quite upsetting and just tend to change the subject when asked

I didn't used to bother about the children question but recently lost a baby at 18 weeks clients didn't even know I was pregnant, it was awful had to give birth to this tiny little girl then I found the baby question since that quite upsetting and just tend to change the subject when asked
I'm going to try not to ask this one anymore I think, that's so sad to read let alone be face to face and hear that, I hope your ok and I diddnt upset you then, that's very brave to say that tbh, thank you for sharing it has definatley made me think twice x

I just find it annoying as every client lately has been asking and then says well you're not getting any younger, im only 27! My family and friends are asking, im like its really not your business. My boyfriend and i have talked about it and in the next few years its a plan. We just bought a house so no rush for anything. I dont get mad or anything, it just becomes repetitive :/

I'm single so don't get asked about kids or marriage. But when I get asked why I'm single. I always want to say something that'll make them really uncomfortable, like I'm an obsessive, jealous girlfriend and no one wants me. Just to shut them up from asking again..
But professional Tori comes out! And use that 'too busy with the business' shit.

I'm going to try not to ask this one anymore I think, that's so sad to read let alone be face to face and hear that, I hope your ok and I diddnt upset you then, that's very brave to say that tbh, thank you for sharing it has definatley made me think twice x
Although in this particular case I understand why it might not always be the best thing to ask I actually think it's part of getting to know your clients and yes it may upset 1 client out of how ever many but asking ' how are you ' to someone who's relative has just passed away could also cause unexpected upset.

People are always saying to me, ohhh you should get married... We have religious issues, I just tell them or if it's not a client I want to open up to I say, hmm maybe one day.

Same with kids, I have a son, people say have more, we have our reasons why we haven't and some people I tell others I say hmm one day!!

It's just one of those things and I am very much like you in the fact of asking people, if I didn't make that 'basic' conversation I'd probably know very little about my clients other than where they're going that weekend and what colour dress they're wearing!

Mine was...
Client: "I am going to a wedding next Sat so I will need to book my nails in for the Friday"
Me: "I am ever so sorry however I am on holiday as of tomorrow for two weeks" (I had posted and text all clients informing them of this way ahead)
Client: looking very angry and disgusted..."How can you afford a holiday you just do beauty?"

I couldnt be bothered to explain this was my side business that actually earns me so much I was able to pay for my holiday outright in one go and that I also have another well paying full time job in London that isn't "beauty". I see it as a compliment that she loves how i do her nails that she was upset i was going away. Well i told myself that so I wouldn't snap :)

Jesus Christ......

This wasn't so much rude as awkward. She was a very quiet client, first appt, hardly spoke but didn't seem shy.

Me (trying to find something to break the silence) : looks like it's just started to rain out there

Her: you're not going out, are you?

Me: no, no, I'm not

Her: well it doesn't matter then, does it?

Silence resumed lol

This wasn't so much rude as awkward. She was a very quiet client, first appt, hardly spoke but didn't seem shy.

Me (trying to find something to break the silence) : looks like it's just started to rain out there

Her: you're not going out, are you?

Me: no, no, I'm not

Her: well it doesn't matter then, does it?

Silence resumed lol

Oh god!
I had a mother and daughter duo in like this. Just silence... No one wanted to talk to me and they weren't talking to each other. All the while one of my oldest and chattiest and frankly lovably mad as a box of frogs customers is sat behind them getting her hair done watching me with a big grin on her face at my awkwardness [emoji23]

I've got one, but it's not from my beauty career - hope you don't mind me sharing!

Whilst I was doing my A-Levels, I worked in Sainsburys on the checkout. I had never experienced so many rude people before, but just used to smile serenely at them.

One really busy day, there were queues on every checkout. I had a policy of never going too fast for the customer and would help them pack as I went along, separating frozen and raw meat out etc. A man waiting next in the queue took offence at this and was bitching to everyone else about me, saying things like "Where do they get these braindead morons?" and "A monkey would be better at this". To their credit, all the other customers were doing that lovely British thing of staring at the floor hoping he'd go away.

So, when I've finished with my (grateful) customer, the rude man is next. He'd bought a load of soft rolls and had put them next to all his tins/cans. I smiled, welcomed him and then put through all his shopping at the speed of light, making sure that I sandwiched his rolls between two layers of tins. It all piled up and got squashed at the end and I'd finished the lot before he'd even filled one bag.

He was all red and blotchy with (I assume) anger, but probably mainly embarrassed because everyone else in the queue was smirking at him...

Latest posts

Back