Salon flooring

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose143

Very Proud Creative Geek
Reaction score
Hi peeps,

For those of you that have had you salon floors done. What did you go for?

We have had a few quotes from companies and everyone is telling us something different. Apparently the floor that's currently in the shop we're taking over is Vinyl.

The last floor guy we saw said our floor is uneven and would need to be evened out if we want laminate. Then another guy said that laminate flooring in a nail and hair salon is not a good idea due to it not being a non slip surface. One of the flooring guys said most salons go for Vinyl, is this so?

What do you guys think would be the best type of flooring to go for other than hardwood ha ha, I don't have 7k going spare :). All these flooring companies say that theirs is the best as they will do!

I would appreciate any info you may have, even if you just work in a salon with a certain type of flooring, I'd love to know.

Thanks guys!

xxxx

Hi Rose,we have real wood flooring i our salon.It's easy to clean,looks wonderful.......but it's a ruddy nightmare when sitting on a chair with wheels doing a facial.

Quite often the chair will move suddenly which can be quite annoying if you're deeply relaxed.

Other thing is with wooden floors or laminate is that they mark very easily,ours isn't that old and yet has thousands of little dents in it from clients shoes(did think about asking them to take shoes off first but dont think the client would be too impressed:green: )

Also couch can scratch when moved about,we combatted that by putting those short sports socks over each of the feet,works a treat.

If in a nail only salon wooden flooring is no problem but I would think twice about it in a beauty salon,probably go for a good quality vinyl,HTH

Thanks Babs, and here I was getting told that hardwood flooring would be the best route to go!

Thanks alot :hug: you've been most helpful hun!

xxxx

In my salon which does both hair and beauty we have a good quality vinyl. Cleans up well and is hard wearing, but soft on the foot too!

Vinyl for me too. Got mine half price at B&Q about 3 months ago. It looks just like a good quality laminiate

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

Do I need to level the floor before doing the Vinyl? Stupid question but just in case :)

xxxx

You have vinyl now? I wouldn't think you would unless you are going to be anal about the floor being uneven as that one floor guy said.
Most flooring companies will rip the old vinyl up first then lay new.

Vinyl for me too. Got mine half price at B&Q about 3 months ago. It looks just like a good quality laminiate

oooooh thanks for that just what ive been looking for:)

have you considered a slate floor.

i have it in the ground floor of my house.
its non slip, doesnt show the dirt, but very easy to clean and very hardwearing too.

Rose, if you are doing any invasive treatments, ear piercing, electrolsis, etc. the council will have specifications about what type of flooring you have to have.

If I remember rightly you had a good meeting with your local Health & Saftey bloke a while back, perhaps give him a call and see what he recommends??

have you considered a slate floor.

i have it in the ground floor of my house.
its non slip, doesnt show the dirt, but very easy to clean and very hardwearing too.

One of the flooring men suggested this as well. Wouldn't it be cold though? And is it expensive?

xxxx

Rose, if you are doing any invasive treatments, ear piercing, electrolsis, etc. the council will have specifications about what type of flooring you have to have.

If I remember rightly you had a good meeting with your local Health & Saftey bloke a while back, perhaps give him a call and see what he recommends??

Yeah we're not doing those types of treatments yet and even when we do, the Beauty room is separate so we can do the flooring when necessary. I didn't know that though!

I did have a meeting with him yes, I'll give him a go. Thanks!

xxxx

One of the flooring men suggested this as well. Wouldn't it be cold though? And is it expensive?

xxxx

i dont find it cold, it seems to take on the temperature of the room really.

in my last house we bought all the slate tiles from wickes and they were only £1 each.

i dont find it cold, it seems to take on the temperature of the room really.

in my last house we bought all the slate tiles from wickes and they were only £1 each.
I dont know if slate would be practical in a salon,I know it can look lovely and everything but cleaning would be a nightmare,all those nooks and crannies in between the tiles would surely be a bacteria haven.:green: There's going to be a lot of clients coming and going it's not the same as in the home.JMHO.

I dont know if slate would be practical in a salon,I know it can look lovely and everything but cleaning would be a nightmare,all those nooks and crannies in between the tiles would surely be a bacteria haven.:green: There's going to be a lot of clients coming and going it's not the same as in the home.JMHO.

you might have a point.
to be honest i'm not absolutely sure if there are approved surfaces for salon use. and i'm not really sure what amount of germs are acceptable.
i have vinyl on my salon floor, but this is approached by a slate floor.
to maintain perfect hygiene we would need all our clients to remove their outdoor shoes and give them some foot protectors like they use in life of grime!:lol:
i think a chat with the inspector would be a wise first move.

I will let you guys know whatever I find out, many thanks for the replies!

xxxx

Latest posts

Back