Scare TV

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on people.... only 19 replies to the thread :smack:
This our industry ... your livelyhood!
Please, it doesnt matter what your experience or how eloquent you are... PLEASE contact GMTV and make your feelings known.
Im not the best at putting myself across ... especially when fired up, but heres my email...

Dear GMTV,
Please, please would you be prepared to feature an industry professional on your programme to redress the balance of your feature regarding the dangers of visiting a nail salon.
The UK does indeed have a problem with what we in the industry term as NSS (non-standard salon).
Your viewers and the public in general need to be educated in what to look for in salon, not scared off by silly untuths such as MMA being a glue?
Our industry has two publications of its own, Professional Nails (editor Kathryn Hanks, tel:020 7471 1618) & Scratch Magazine (editor Alex Fox, tel:01763 263 113).
You do not have to take heed from someone like me who struggles to advise misinformed clients but, please do your viewers a favour and contact one of these editors, they will be only to pleased to put you in touch with the likes of Samuel Sweet, Marian Newman, Gigi Rouse. These are industry icons, educators and authors who have worked with the likes of Vogue, Charles Worthington, New York/London Fashion week. They KNOW how to educate the public and not scaremonger.
There is a Professional Beauty show at Earls Court this weekend, why not send someone along to see how the industry works & the HUGE education we have in place. Samuel Sweet will be there on the Creative stand, Im sure he'd be more than happy to talk to you.

There, I maybe didnt make the best or biggest noise but, I made a noise.... make sure you do too! :)

I saw it this morning and to tell the truth the woman they had in the studio certainly wasn't doing any favours was she??

Unfortunatly when i first had falses put on the person doing my nails used an electric file. Needless to say my fingers were pretty bruised for a couple of days.

I don't know what they done to them but when i had them soaked off two weeks later (by a very good salon) they were all scuffed up and hadn't grown!

I think it's good that they are highlightiong that there is a problem with some nail bars. And the laws realy should be put in place to protect the consumer and also the owner of the business. No one wants to employ a cowboy then have that persons failures refelct on them.

So kinda mixed about this one.

This was a 'knee-jerk' and will be forgotten. What is to come will not be ignored or forgotten.
Marian, do you really think it will be forgotten by the public in a hurry? Im not so sure.
I hope what you have up your sleeves is something really cool ..... and not too far away!

Marian, do you really think it will be forgotten by the public in a hurry? Im not so sure.
I hope what you have up your sleeves is something really cool ..... and not too far away!

Hi Glo

This sort of think has happened so often in the past. The good thing is that it is mentioning the EH conference where nail bars are being discussed. That will give you a big clue. It is a major concern all over the UK now (at last)

I believe the results of these current projects will enforce some major changes and ones that genuinely good technicians (like you and so many on this forum) will welcome with open arms! And I'm doing my damnedest to make sure thats what happens

Thinking about this again and trying to put a positive spin on it,maybe the public are not taking as much notice of this as we are because we are so passionate about this !?!?

For example,there have been numerous articles in regards to hair tint causing an adverse reaction,has it stopped us dyeing our hair,i think not.

I know it is bad press,but is it better than no press at all ?

As i said i am trying to see this from a different perspective and thinking out loud !

Just thought on,it could even be beneficial,my clients come they are not harmed or injured and their service is carried out hygienically,they say ooo you're not like them on the telly,that's got to be a good thing,no ?

If this is the case,my reputation remains a good one,yes i agree nss should be shut down,but i have to think about number one and as long as i know i am doing my job correctly in every way,then this shouldn't affect me in theory !?????

The major problem in the short-term IMO is that this kind of bullsh*t that the press/tv is spouting will damage our businesses because people do take notice of it, especially when they don't know any different!

I'm rather pissed off to be honest that this has been shown in such a bad light without some 'big names' being there to stand up for our industry, it's ok to say it's a kneejerk reaction BUT how hard of a kneejerk is it?
Some HSS are suffering already due to the current NSS trend and as far as I can see the recent press coverage will do nothing more than add to the already dwindling client lists that some of us are suffering!

Is there a date we can look forward to when this 'card' will come out of the sleeve with the news we're all impatiently waiting for?

So what are YOU going to do to counter the negativity?

Here's what I have done - I have copied this item onto the home page of my website, I have attached a "blog" for people to discuss it - hopefully members of the public who surf by my site will read it and maybe ask questions.

I can but try.

I think some very valid points have been raised and specifically Marians. It is next to impossible to unslant and balance a situation like that during an interview. The truth doesn't sell, people only want the dirt and we pay them via magazine subscriptions and advertising revenue to dish out ONLY what we want. If you think back to the Watchdog MMA programme several years ago - most of my time there was spent trying to keep the story in perspective and on track and still it was sensational (hopefully I helped to make it much less so).

The fact is, in this situation no one can put together a sensational story about the truth of the situation to counter the damage that has been done - therefore it will never be newsworthy. This is a sad fact of reality world wide. People don't care about a story unless there is 'juice' which is something you need to think about when you are reading magazines, watching 'news' programmes and such. All you are getting is dirt, because that is all that we as the public want to pay attention to.

What this will do is raise consumer awareness and give us the platform to move forward on. Face it, the government is not bothered about our industry issues until public awareness forces them to look at it (in other words, when the voters start to demand a solution).

This will leave a black mark on our industry, however the positive side will be the backing to do something about it.

In the meantime - focus on pro active education of the public around you (customers and non customers). I wouldn't waste too much time trying to change the minds of editors and producers. After all, it was a snapshot where about 10 salons didn't meet H&S requirements or didn't have qualifications. Thats 10 out of HOW FREAKING MANY? My thoughts are it could have still happened with 1.

Why all secrecy around what is "in the pipeline". If something is about to happen to the industry why can't we all be told what the heck it is?

If we are truly intrested in the H&S of the public and there is something about to happen that will increase standards in the industry, wouldn't it be better for all the NSS to know about it so that they can prepare and maybe try and meet the criteria?

The secrecy just makes me think that we will end up with another piece of red tape that will only have a cost impact on us decent techs.

A decent PR campaign by the industry telling the public "What to look for in a good nail technician" would go much further and would help heal the damage that has been done to the decent side of the ndustry by the media over the last few days.

There is no secrecy or red tape. There is active involvement from key people in the sector to try and establish guidelines that will benefit the industry. You have to get standards established before you can do a mass media PR campaign.

Fair enough, I'm not suggesting that PR campaigns are mounted covering "what is about to happen" but why not tell us (the industry) what is likely or proposed?

A PR campaign covering "What to look for in a good nail technician" is what I suggested. This information we already know of course. Who would pay for it would be another thing!

There is no secrecy or red tape. There is active involvement from key people in the sector to try and establish guidelines that will benefit the industry. You have to get standards established before you can do a mass media PR campaign.

Exactly - the media will scrutinise standards so all aspects need to be covered, thus not giving them anymore ammunition.

I didn't see GMTV today & could only find the checklist on their website but ive submitted my views on it all the same, just hope someone bothers to read them.

Im not worried about the effect it will have on existing clients but i think that it could put off prospective clients in the short term. I remember when i worked in an office and every morning there would be a conversation about what had been on GMTV so i do think people will be talking about it.

If anything good comes of it then the NSS will be driven out of business

The secrecy just makes me think that we will end up with another piece of red tape that will only have a cost impact on us decent techs.
Who would pay for it would be another thing!
I would imagine that all of the quality nail companies would help to fund an advertising campaign.
Personally speaking, I would be happy to dip my hand into my pocket if it were for the good of the industry, as I'm sure a lot of decent techs would too.

Fair enough, I'm not suggesting that PR campaigns are mounted covering "what is about to happen" but why not tell us (the industry) what is likely or proposed?

A PR campaign covering "What to look for in a good nail technician" is what I suggested. This information we already know of course. Who would pay for it would be another thing!

Everyone does. Follow what is happening on www.habia.org, watch this site (there have been calls for consultation on several important and relevant topics).

What needs to be done is an accurate education of EHOs and local authorities. Then a movement to use that education and only then would a public PR campaign be of any benefit.

*Glynis* said:
What a shame we are such a weak industry in terms of response. "Lets not jump and down defending ourselves" say our experts "It will blow over", "This that and the other are in the pipeline". Meanwhile our industry suffers a PR major body blow.

Countless key people are donating their time to try and fight for the industry (Marian and myself are only 2 of the countless many). No one is saying sit on your hands and let things blow over. We are saying that you need to work locally to educate the public, become active nationally to help the standards and finally make sure all ducks are in order before you try to convince a cynical media that is obsessed with the quick and dirty.

Yes, it is scaremongering, but if one out of 5 supermarkets would be selling spoiled food, we would want our daily newspapers/tv to report on it. This is good news for our industry, as it exposes the rotten apples. It might hurt on the short term, but will benefit in the long term qualified, educated nail technicians.

I am inviting my local newspaper to see what the difference is between a bad and good nail service and hope to get something published and use the momentum of news to get the attention of the public to finally be aware that there is good and bad nail services out there and if they are educated they can make an informed choice. The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health are on our side after all!!!!

Sam
Xtremities

That is a great positive step Sam

I know it's long time no speak, however I was so disgusted with GMTV this morning and an article I have recently read in the Daily Mail Yesterday, that I thought I would pop in to see the general response.

I'm all ready dealing with calls from salons that are dealing with client concerns. What an irresponsable interview for all of the educators teaching and techs out there that are working thier buts off to maintain high standards, only to have fuel added to an existing fire - non standard salons etc.

I too have e-mailed GMTV and the Daily Mail outraged about the potential damage that they could have done to our industry (sorry forgot to add e-mail to the link).

I will keep you informed of any response received.

Sam Watkinson x
IBD International Educator
National Education Manager (Grafton Int)

You may be interested to know that Bristol City Council had nothing to do with the release of this nail story - and when I spoke to them, they confirmed that the research was done in 2004!

It was released by The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH) which is currently not available for comment as its having its annual conference in Bournemouth - but if you google and go to their site
you’ll see the release on the home page that started this.

This type of "news" is always so discouraging to those of us who strive to acheive another level of professionalism.

In the past there have been scares here as well due to outbreaks in non-complaint salons.

I inform my clients what I do to protect them in my salon- I always stress that this is for MY protection too.

I have an extremely sanitary salon and go to great lengths to keep it like that. My clients notice- especially if they have been to salons where the tech don't clean their station or change towels between clients, wash their hands, dust, sanitize or sterilize implements...........etc.

While discouraging, I think the best way to fight this kind of publicity is through education- one client at a time.

:(

Latest posts

Back