School Hols.....ARGgghGH!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy-chick

Reaction score
so the school holidays are here! 6 weeks of OMG!

what plans has everyone got to get through this difficult time with juggling work and kids?

I have learn't over the years to take at least 2 days off in the week, and keep my appointments to the bare minimum so that I can survive and my clients are happy.

Normally i book my appointments with a nice space in between to allow for me to eat...do school runs...empty the washing machine...etc.....but during the holidays i try to ram all my clients into 3 days back to back just so i can have 2 days off with the kids....or use all my evening appointments and work later..before starting on my daytime appointments..and always fill 1 day before starting on another.

My kids are used to me working from home now and are very very good...and make a good cuppa..:lol:...but i do get pangs of guilt. I really shouldn't though cos if i went "out" to work they would have to go to a minder...so at least they are at home with all their things and a full fridge...:)

I have to say though it amazes me just how well us home workers with kids do...(pats us all on the back) I like to remind my other half now and again how he would manage going to work and taking 3 kids with him....its the equivalent off !!!

Last edited:
its a constant juggling act isn't it Angie.
I have to persuade Master Chick to get ready to drop him off at his nana's (which he hates going to) if I'm doing a full day, and if I'm doing appointments I either take him with me or he's at the age now where I can leave him out playing or leave him at home, but only if its for about 2 hours, I often jump in the car drive home at breakneck speeds to see him for 30 minutes before jumping back in the car to do another 1 or 2 appointments.

I now take at least 2 full days off to cope! and we take 2 full weeks off so we have 4 weeks to contend with.

I'm off to Bolton to do some in-house training on Monday, leaving the house at 6am so going to let Mr Chick deal with childcare for a change!!!

It's that time of year again, when the carpet-sharks are off school.

How is this going to affect your business? are you going to be doing less actual work and spending more time marketing for when they're back? Could it be a positive thing (for your business)?

Maybe we all ought to have a "hit-list" of things to do while we're sat with a lap-top on our knees watching the same episode of Hannah Montana for the 17th time.

Last edited by a moderator:
doesnt really affect me because my bridal work is eve and weekends. And my nail and tanning treatments are evening based anyway when kids are in bed because i have a young family. I really hope the rest of you don't suffer though!!

It's that time of year again, when the carpet-sharks are off school.

How is this going to affect your business? are you going to be doing less actual work and spending more time marketing for when they're back? Could it be a positive thing (for your business)?

Maybe we all ought to have a "hit-list" of things to do while we're sat with a lap-top on our knees watching the same episode of Hannah Montana for the 17th time.

Loving the term carpet sharks hahaha!!!

Mine are grown up now..............although I did take my son to see Toy Story yesterday...............and he's 22!!

Im quite new to my business but planning to hit marketing around week 3 of the school holidays, only planning on doing regulars for first 3 weeks. I have 4 kiddies so childcare isnt an option although my mum will 'do' a couple of short days each week for me to keep things ticking over. From September im available to work 4 days a week so hoping the new customers will come then :lol:.

I'm also planning to finish of my salon room at home during the holidays and have a good sort out, get my books up to date and sort out my stock etc... wont be making much money but hope to be all set to take off in sept lol x

I have got a few things in place.... first week Sun to Weds with my Dad, second week Mon to Thurs with my Mum, third week no real plan but her Dad has started working at a private school where they run a top play scheme and because he's staff we only have to pay £2.70 per day! (I'm sure he must have got that wrong!) Fourth week she's doing something crafty called Think It Make It Take It every day 10-3, fifth week she's doing Starmaker 9.30 -4 everyday. Also her Dad's girlfriend is on maternity leave so she will have her whenever.

I feel pretty sorted!

This is the first year that Im not stressing over childcare as on extended maternity leave :). Its usually one day here one day and then finish work and pick up. I would normally have the 6 weeks planned out but beauty therapy work does not always go to plan esp if clients late. Im making the most out of this year as next year back to the madness!

Its sooo hard at this time of year, I speak to my firend and so many their hubbies take time off in the hols to help, but mine certainly doesn't. I ended up very ill last year stressing about it, and then my son was at private day nursery, but still had my daughter to sort.

This year I'm prepared......I generally work school hours, so I am alsways there to collect my daughter, but in the hols, my son is leaving nursery on 30th July, then 1 day pw they will both go to holiday club, which is open from7-6pm, my daughter is not happy, but needs must, that way I'll make hubby pick up, and I will just work until I've done, then they're having a week at my mums, so again I'll ju7s cram loads in, no limits on time, then I'll book in my appointmenst on other days if its needed, but make sure each day is full before I go onto the next day, and then maybe recruit inlaws or holiday club again.

I do feel guilty, but I do it for them to have a decent life, as we all do, it'll make them grow into hard workers....so I keep telling myself.

Good Luck everyone, only 6 weeks to go LOL!:)

Latest posts

Back