Science topic: Chemical danger

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Envy

Reaction score
I thought I'd start the ball rolling with thread to see how we assume information: I'd like you to read this without running off to google the answer and see how you respond initially...

With all the recent threads and questions about "harmful chemicals and allergys" in our industry I was wondering wether people are generally aware of chemistry and the world around us?

... Let me tell you a little story...

"There is a chemical that is being used by nuclear reactor operating companys, pesticide companies and by chemical cleanup crews. Annually it is directly responsible for 5000+ globallyThis product ends up ON YOUR DINNER TABLE AND IN YOUR WATER WAYS!!! This chemical is di-hydrogen monoxide (sometimes referred to as hydric acid. There has been a proposal to petition against it's use."

For more info follow the link below:
DHMO Facts

My question to you is "do you think that this petition would be a good idea?"

I look forward to your feedback - Allen

Last edited:

Dol

Reaction score
Well I don't think so! Aren't they being sneaky and just talking about water?

pinkcouture

Reaction score
I thought they were talking about water as well :)

pure

Reaction score
Agree - H2O is water.

Thats the thing though, we are surrounded by chemicals but the word itself provokes ideas and assumptions of anything bad.

lila22

Reaction score
I also think water which i try not to drink from the tap because of the chemicals, i drink bolttled water.

tanfastic

Reaction score
Oh dear, I was too late on this one :)

Planky1

Reaction score
The bit about it improving marriage made me giggle :D

But what a great start Allen!

Last edited:

pure

Reaction score
The link is funny and very clever, but makes an important point - it's HOW we use and expose ourselves to chemicals which is the issue.

DHMO can kill you!! But we'd also die without it :)

Planky1

Reaction score
The link is funny and very clever, but makes an important point - it's HOW we use and expose ourselves to chemicals which is the issue.

DHMO can kill you!! But we'd also die without it :)
Totally! Just shows how quickly scaremongering can start too. If you didn't know they were talking about water, you would be reading through that list and would be like :eek: this stuff is in everything!!!!!!!!! :Scared: Like I thought initially before I twigged what it was :wink2: Very clever and a great way to show that most of us have such a lack of scientific knowledge. Give it a big fancy name and we have no clue and panic

Envy

Reaction score
Totally! Just shows how quickly scaremongering can start too. If you didn't know they were talking about water, you would be reading through that list and would be like :eek: this stuff is in everything!!!!!!!!! :Scared: Like I thought initially before I twigged what it was :wink2: Very clever and a great way to show that most of us have such a lack of scientific knowledge. Give it a big fancy name and we have no clue and panic
Precisely the point

'chemophobia' (fear of chemicals) is very real and not always based on fact...

Planky1

Reaction score
I may pinch this for my FB :D Great work Allen! Next!! :D

Redduck

Reaction score
It really does make you think doesn't it. I had a client come in the other day and she'd printed out an article about di-hydrogen monoxide and wanted to know if I was aware if I used it. Erm yes! Poor lady was very embarrassed when I told her what it is!

lauraj

Reaction score
This is a brilliant thread and really gets you thinking doesn't it.

chocolatepickle

Reaction score
I really enjoyed reading this! I too have shared it on facebook!

nicole333

Reaction score
Excellent start Allen!

I too knew it was water (phew!), but as well as being an entertaining read, it also shows how things can be portrayed in a biased way. It's a little scarey to think someones opinion can be manipulated by the written word, in a report like that.

Thank you :biggrin:

evangelinegrace

Reaction score
Fantastic find! I especially liked "Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities".

Rinn

CND Shellac EA
Reaction score
ah allen!!! not fair on chemical dunces like me...:(

blossom

Reaction score
Have to say, didn't have a clue there :cool:

mum

Reaction score
Fabulous article! Perfect article demonstrating the 'spin' that can be used when it suits:twisted:

Everything, except heat, light and electricity, is a chemical and I get fed up with reading about 'harmful chemicals', 'toxic chemicals', such and such ingredient dangerous for unborn babies etc etc. So often it is just a spin put on because it suits the company, organisation, manufacturer, individual to use a situation that bares no relationship to the product being talked about.

Well posted Allen:cool:

Envy

Reaction score
Fabulous article! Perfect article demonstrating the 'spin' that can be used when it suits:twisted:

Everything, except heat, light and electricity, is a chemical and I get fed up with reading about 'harmful chemicals', 'toxic chemicals', such and such ingredient dangerous for unborn babies etc etc. So often it is just a spin put on because it suits the company, organisation, manufacturer, individual to use a situation that bares no relationship to the product being talked about.

Well posted Allen:cool:
Thank you Marion :) this was my exact point and I hope it will have opened some minds to searching for 'truth and fact' rather than marketing spin..

Allen

Latest posts