Sculpted or Tips? Who would you hire?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollie_mummy

Reaction score
Hi im currently looking for a job as a nail tech but a nail tech i know said that if she was running her own salon she wouldnt hire someone who couldnt do sculptured. what does everyone think? i found that a lot people actually prefer tips so would a salon turn me down or just train me in sculptured themselves? please help!:rolleyes:

I think anyone who was proficient in both would have an advantage.

However i would hire the best tech,regardless .....

....well if i had a salon :lol:

Hth's x

Hi im currently looking for a job as a nail tech but a nail tech i know said that if she was running her own salon she wouldnt hire someone who couldnt do sculptured. what does everyone think? i found that a lot people actually prefer tips so would a salon turn me down or just train me in sculptured themselves? please help!:rolleyes:

If I had a salon (i wish:lol: ), and you were ace at prep, application, filing and had good people skills, I would hire you and then teach you (or send on a course) to learn to sculpt.

Not all nails are suitable to sculpt with. Just my preference , but I prefer to tip a nail biter, and if a customer wants almond shape, again I find it easier to get a consistant shape by tipping.

hth

ANYONE who does beautiful work with pink & white over tips can learn to sculpt. After all you are doing exactly the same thing except when you sculpt you are visualising where the tip is and applying the product without it. It really is not so very different.

I sculpt when the client has a good nail and I tip when she doesn't simply because it is easier. It is definitely an advantage to be able to do SCULPTED nails ... so useful for doing repairs and so much cheaper for YOU than using tips. Think of what you save. Every time you sculpt you are putting an extra pound (or whatever currency you have in your country) in your pocket. That makes sense to me.

I have to second what Geeg has said.

When I only tipped, it was such a trial to repair a nail: remove everything and start from scratch. Whereas with sculpting; you prep, add the form, and build on what's already there. Takes less time and product.

Granted, when you first start sculpting, it's long compared to tipping if you're proficient at tipping (getting those forms on right is a 'trick' to learn). BUT once you are good at it, I actually think it takes less time than tipping.

I also prefer sculpting biters, but that's a personal preference. To each their own. I found it hard to tip them and blend on such an itty bitty nail plate. AND they can't have french tips without looking silly. Whereas using a CBM or a camouflage gel to extend the plate gives you more options.

Also, as Geeg says, no additional expense of tips and adhesive. Forms are cheaper than the two combined PLUS when tipping, you must have several different kinds of tips. AND tips don't sit well on people with flat nails.

BUT IN THE END:
I would hire the one that turns out the better looking nails that are less prone to lifting, no matter what their technique is.
Sculpting can always be learned.

I wound up teaching myself scultping through the help of tutorials and techs on this site and a few others.

hth's

i practised on tips first doing L&P P&W and then had a go at sculpting - I am completely self taught in sculpting and whether this is right or wrong i turn out pretty good work - although it has taken a huge amount of practise!

I love sculpting and like geeg says its sooo much cheaper so it is definately a skill i recommend xxxxxxx

Its always good to be able to do both, but i would hire the person who could do what she knows well.

I also agree with Geeg, i sculpt on clients that have nice nails and just need length and tip on the ski jump or bitten nails. Its what ever is easier at the time.

I would take the time out to learn both techniques.
It will always go in your favour.

thankyou everyone for your advice, i guess i better get practicing then!lol :)

Latest posts

Back