Sculpting Pink and Whites with UV Sculpting Gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceana

Reaction score
This is a generic tutorial for the application of UV Gel. I have deliberately not used manufacturer or brand names so it is accessible to all. The steps written cover application which are the same for all sculpting gels. Remember to use the UV lamp specific to your system and cure product for the stated timings.

Preparation

Prepare and sanitise hands and nails as per usual procedure. Apply bonding agent if required by your chosen system.

2006-03-02 046_edited.JPG

Bonder Layer

Using a flat gel brush apply a THIN layer of gel (or specific bonder dependant on system used) to the entire nail ensuring the whole nail is covered but not touching surrounding skin.
Work the product into the nail well in all directions to ensure a good, even coverage.
2006-03-02 047_edited.JPG
Cure under UV lamp for recommended time.

Form Fitting

Some gel systems recommend using clear forms whereas other manufacturers don't, use whichever is recommended for your chosen system.
"Roll" the form between your thumbs prior to fitting to create an even C Curve.
Tailor the form to fit the free edge if needed.
Peel off backing paper and holding the form between your thumbs place under free edge of the nail.
Look at the side view and make sure the form comes out from under the nail completely horizontally, it should not be pointing down or "ski jumping" up
Look down the barrel and make sure there are no gaps or folds between the form and the nail, if there are "wiggle" the form to ensure perfect fit. If you leave gaps product will seep underneath. Do not over work the form, if you have to remove and replace the form use a new form.

2006-03-02 048_edited.JPG
2006-03-02 050_edited.JPG

Secure tabs making sure the form is secure - avoid over pinching at the bottom of the form and making a pointed end.

White Application

Pick up a scoop of white sculpting gel on your brush
Place down on the form and "twirl" your brush up and out of the gel
Holding the brush vertically and using the very point of the brush gently push and tease the gel along the smile line
Pull the gel out to create a free edge

2006-03-02 051_edited.JPG

Tidy up lower arches and free edge by pushing the gel back in towards the nail
Flatten the brush by firmly wiping on a gauze pad
Holding the brush flat against the nail sweep in one smooth motion to create a beautifully crisp smile line

2006-03-02 052_edited.JPG

Freeze cure one finger at a time so the gel doesn't slip
Repeat for all 10 nails then complete cure each hand

Clear/Pink Application

Pick up a scoop of clear or pink sculpting gel (depending on preference) and again place in zone 2 and twirl out the brush.
Place the tip of the point of the brush in the scoop and tease out towards the sidewalls then back into zone 3 (keep the bulk of the gel in the centre of zone 2 to create apex)

Then smooth the clear or pink gel up to the white
Check nail from all angles to ensure no dips or uncovered nail
I find air bubbles can be "picked" out, simply touch the point of the brush onto the bubble and "pull" straight up and out, then just smooth over the dip you have just made.
Freeze cure for 10 seconds
Repeat for all 10 nails then complete cure each hand
Remember not to over work the gel, don't play or faff about with it as all you will do is create air bubbles.

2006-03-02 056_edited.JPG

Filing and Buffing

Smooth and refine the enhancement as per usual techniques

Finishing

Apply a coat of sealing/finishing gel ensuring good, even coverage over the entire nail.
Use the same application as if applying nail polish and pay particular attention to capping the free edge (most important if applying natural nail overlays, the entire free edge MUST be sealed in or else the gel will separate and lift)
Remove dust, rub in cuticle oil, clean under free edge and tidy up any rough edges with a 240 file.

2006-03-02 057_edited.JPG
2006-03-02 058_edited.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Great tutorial thanks !!!

v well explained :) you clever chickio!

Jess
xox

brains absorbed that one thanks cb xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

fab, thanks Clare xx

thanks clare so much! x

Thank you Clare!! Great tutorial.

Brill Cb xxxxxxx Well written :Love:

Well done CB, tried to rep you hun, but I need to spread more lurrrve first xx

This is great hunny! Well done! xx

FAAAAAAAAAAABULOUS daahhhling just fabulous ;)

This is sooooooooooo helpful... thank you, thank you, thank you ... :hug:

great step by step
xx

CB you are a master!! I think it is a brilliant tutorial for all potential gel users. Sometimes, especially if I use pink gel and not clear to build the apex, I use another thinish layer of clear gel over the top of both the pink and white. This works on my ski-jump nails (remember them hun?) and also helps to fill any dip that may have been left between the white smile and the pink. Hope this helps!!

thank you. am only on manicure & pedicure at mo. but in roling in nail tec soon.

A very understandable explanation of how to apply sculptured gels. Thanks.

great tutorial clare - im gonna print that out and have another go with brisa - i really struggle with the apex my gels are always really flat xx

hello

thanks.merci first time i see a tutorial with the good pictures
hope my englis will be without mistakes

icon_lol.gif

fab tutorial Clare well done - easy to follow
:hug: debbie

Hi.. really good tutorial lesson.Only problem i have is that i can't really get to put the form right as there is always a hole in middleCan hardly get this right and it takes a lot of time just to place form.Then it is too sharp at the end.
Any advice?

Huvick

Latest posts

Back