Sculpting ski jump nails, pic attached

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Nails

Reaction score
04082011184.jpg

04082011185.jpg

04082011186.jpg

Hi Geeks,

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice regarding my daughters nails. Her middle and ring fingers on both hands are very very ski jump. Tonight even tho I filed the free edge right off I still couldnt get a sculpt paper to fit because the whole nail bed sticks up in the air you can see right down the centre of it. So even tho most experienced techs say that they sculpt on anything as a year newbie would I be better to use tips. I have included some pictures of her finished nails for you to give comments on either positive or negative is fine. I did mess up a bit because I used CND performance tips and I think I would have been better off using velocity. The tips showed through the acrylic and looked way to far down the nail either tho I put the silver glitter on the edge to create a longer nail bed illusion. Anyway any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks xxxxx

View attachment 8398

View attachment 8399

View attachment 8400

Hi Geeks,

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice regarding my daughters nails. Her middle and ring fingers on both hands are very very ski jump. Tonight even tho I filed the free edge right off I still couldnt get a sculpt paper to fit because the whole nail bed sticks up in the air you can see right down the centre of it. So even tho most experienced techs say that they sculpt on anything as a year newbie would I be better to use tips. I have included some pictures of her finished nails for you to give comments on either positive or negative is fine. I did mess up a bit because I used CND performance tips and I think I would have been better off using velocity. The tips showed through the acrylic and looked way to far down the nail either tho I put the silver glitter on the edge to create a longer nail bed illusion. Anyway any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks xxxxx
Do you have any pics of her nails before? Because you have put a design on the nail it is very hard to make anything out.
Looking at the barrel shot the tips dont even appear to be adhered to the nail as you can clearly see the gap between the nail and the tip.
The little nail also appears to go skyward too.
Who did you do your training with, the reason I ask is could you not book a one to one and take your daughter as your model to work on these type of problem nails.
Its going to be really hard for us to advise you as we cant see the full extent of the problem iykwim.
Im sorry I cant help any further than that, maybe someone else will be able to offer you more advise.
Jen xxx

Hi Busybee,

I trained with CND and I have taken my daughter before on my 121. The tips are attached with no gaps to the nail, but as you can see the ski jump is very severe on my daughter its almost like onycholysis (but its not). I just wondered if anyone would sculpt on these nails or just tip. They do go up in the air a little doesn't matter how much I try to pull the tip down. However she never loses them. Just wanted a little advice of how to make them look better.

I have just passed my course in acrylics at college. You say that her natural nails are sky jump, before applying the Tips have you cut down the natural nail has far back as possible, to try illuminate the ski jump? Link below may help.
http://thenailcouture.blogspot.com/2011/01/ski-jump-nails.html
Not sure if this would help but you can get nails tips which curve slot like claws try using those. Haven't done sculpting, so don't know if it would be better..

One of the hardest shapes to conquer! Well done for persevering.

When tipping remove any free edge (as you've done) then remove all but a tiny contact area on the correct sized tip. Place the tip on the nail but angled down (probably more than you think) and look at it from the side. The lack of contact area will allow you to get the angle right. it almost needs to curl over the end of the finger. When you're happy with the angle apply the tip with adhesive and keep short. When you apply the overlay, keep looking from the side so you get a gentle and even upper arch.

If you can picture what I've explained above then you need to do the same with a form.

Was your daughter a nail biter?

Hi mum

So sorry for such a late reply. Thank you what you said was a real help. Yes my daughter was a chronic nail biter but she has stopped now but the ski jump is severe. Mind you she does manage to keep them on and all the NSS salons she went to only ever kept them on for 3 days, so I'm quite proud of that. Thanks again for your kind help and comments :D. Karen xxx

Hi nicolab,

Again sorry for the late reply. The info you gave was very helpful. Yes I do cut her nail right back, however she has extremely small nail beds and very overgrown cuticles which were cut by NSS so they are not nice. However we are working on them with solar oil and tlc. she is due another infill this week so I'm going to see how they look. We are going to try and see how long they last before pinging off. I will keep you informed. Thank you again xx

I know this post is way old but so far it has been the most useful one (especially the pics!) at figuring out my own nails.

I'm a former biter and have ski slope nails, and when I get acrylics done professionally or do them myself, they ALWAYS look just like your daughter's.

I have the same issue with small nail beds and growing nice sidewalls because back before I slapped acrylics on, I bit my nails, the cuticle, and the skin of the sidewalls for like 25 years. If a nail ever pops off I have to immediately cover it with a band-aid until I can get another put on or I will bite the crapola out of it.

Yeah, I have issues.

Anyway, I'm curious about whether you solved your problem or not!

I know this post is way old but so far it has been the most useful one (especially the pics!) at figuring out my own nails.

I'm a former biter and have ski slope nails, and when I get acrylics done professionally or do them myself, they ALWAYS look just like your daughter's.

I have the same issue with small nail beds and growing nice sidewalls because back before I slapped acrylics on, I bit my nails, the cuticle, and the skin of the sidewalls for like 25 years. If a nail ever pops off I have to immediately cover it with a band-aid until I can get another put on or I will bite the crapola out of it.

Yeah, I have issues.

Anyway, I'm curious about whether you solved your problem or not!

Hi

Glad the post is of help to you. Well sculpting is definitely better than tips.

I used a cover acrylic to lengthen the nail bed and also so I could entirely cut off the free edge. I got her to use solar oil religiously morning noon and night and gently ease her cuticles back to maximise the length of her nail beds to the full. Although you can't change the ski jump the acrylic holds the nail down if you get it right in the first place. You need a very good nail tech who can sculpt to help with your nails. Good luck Hun. I'm goingnto do my daughters again next week I will post some more pictures. Xxxx

Hi there ladies ,

Thank goodness for the revival of this thread as i would never have found it.

At the moment I don't offer enhancements only natural nail Mani/Pedi, but in the not too distant future I will be adding the service as I really would like to Be able to offer the service as a 'repair' should the odd nail or two be broken. Or such as with clients Like your daughter, with unusual nails , the chance to have pretty nails.

Ski jump particularly interests me as I Have a friend with such nails and such wishes.

I will Keep popping by and watching if you don't mind??

Xxxx Claire 😃

Hi there ladies ,

Thank goodness for the revival of this thread as i would never have found it.

At the moment I don't offer enhancements only natural nail Mani/Pedi, but in the not too distant future I will be adding the service as I really would like to Be able to offer the service as a 'repair' should the odd nail or two be broken. Or such as with clients Like your daughter, with unusual nails , the chance to have pretty nails.

Ski jump particularly interests me as I Have a friend with such nails and such wishes.

I will Keep popping by and watching if you don't mind??

Xxxx Claire 😃

I will definitely do a set on my daughter next week. I've had loads more training since doing the set pictured above so let's see if I can improve on those lol. Let's hope so eh xxx

I'm a rather self-sufficient kind of person, so after getting my nails done a few times professionally (the first set I had was horrible!) I decided just to do them myself.

The ones I got done at the first nail salon fell off pretty quickly, were extremely thick, and the tech insisted I get them with a square free edge because "they looked better" but I HATED the square - I wanted to chew the corners - and they made my nails, especially the middle finger nails look wide and fat. They were also too too long.

A week later I found the local place with the best reviews in town and went there, got the first set taken off and a new set I loved, but they still broke off and looked like your daughter's.

I've never gotten a professional sculpt before, but I've sculpted on myself (ambidexterity FTW) with decent results.

My nails have a problem with lifting regardless of whether they are done pro or by me. This is probably because while I am much better about not biting, I still find them in my mouth a lot.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread!

I'm a rather self-sufficient kind of person, so after getting my nails done a few times professionally (the first set I had was horrible!) I decided just to do them myself.

The ones I got done at the first nail salon fell off pretty quickly, were extremely thick, and the tech insisted I get them with a square free edge because "they looked better" but I HATED the square - I wanted to chew the corners - and they made my nails, especially the middle finger nails look wide and fat. They were also too too long.

A week later I found the local place with the best reviews in town and went there, got the first set taken off and a new set I loved, but they still broke off and looked like your daughter's.

I've never gotten a professional sculpt before, but I've sculpted on myself
(ambidexterity FTW) with decent results.

My nails have a problem with lifting regardless of whether they are done pro or by me. This is probably because while I am much better about not biting, I still
find them in my mouth a lot.

Anyway, sorry to hijack your thread!

Lol. Ok smack on the hand keep out of mouth.

I've definitely found that sculpting brought the best results.

Unbelievably my daughter gets NO LIFTING and goes 3/4 weeks between infills. Can you believe that. Better than every client I have. And she wears them stupidly long but never breaks them. I think she is just pleased to have nice nails.

I will definitely put a new set on her later this week xxxxx

Yesterday I put a set of acrylics on my toes and sculpted them, because my toes are ski-sloped too... Because when I was a child I actually bit them, and as an adult I kept them cut so short they may as well have been bitten anyway.

So! they look much better with sculpts. I did a blue t clear glitter color fade with star and hearts embedded and clear on top.

I only have 8.5 toes, so if that squicks you out... don't click the thumbnails.

Attachments

• 2012-06-04_20-06-39_122.jpg
    2012-06-04_20-06-39_122.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 629
  • 2012-06-04_20-07-41_234.jpg
    2012-06-04_20-07-41_234.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 508
Place the tip on the nail but angled down (probably more than you think) and look at it from the side. The lack of contact area will allow you to get the angle right. it almost needs to curl over the end of the finger. When you're happy with the angle apply the tip with adhesive and keep short.
g.gif

Latest posts

Back