Seperate mobile phone for buisness and personal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirstymc

Reaction score
anyone use seperate phones?

getiing fed up with clieents phoning late at night,

considering geting new phone for personal use only

thanx

kirstx

Hi,

I have 2 mobile phones. 1 for business, and 1 for personal.

I only have my business phone switched on during business hours, so I turn it off at night, and Sundays.
Then, if a client wishes to leave me a message, I ring them back first thing in the morning!
That way, I'm not disturbed.
I mean if you worked in a salon, a client probably wouldn't dream of ringing after 5:30pm, or whatever time you closed, because they would know there would be no-one there!
I think when you work for yourself, you have to set boundaries, otherwise people will take advantage of you.
I speak from experience, hence 2 phones!! :)
I hope that helps!

Hi,

I have 2 mobile phones. 1 for business, and 1 for personal.
I only have my business phone switched on during business hours, so I turn it off at night, and Sundays.
Then, if a client wishes to leave me a message, I ring them back first thing in the morning!
That way, I'm not disturbed.
I mean if you worked in a salon, a client probably wouldn't dream of ringing after 5:30pm, or whatever time you closed, because they would know there would be no-one there!
I think when you work for yourself, you have to set boundaries, otherwise people will take advantage of you.
I speak from experience, hence 2 phones!! :)
I hope that helps!

This is exactly what I do. My personal phone is a contract and my business one is an Orange PAYG, I then get Orange Wednesdays :green:

xx

I have 2 phones which gives me choice as to when my work phone is on, but I also think it's more professional to have a dedicated business line. I have a business voicemail message and I know if it rings it's a business call. Having one phone for both isn't professional enough for me.

I have two phones too, I debated about it and just used an old handset and bought a PAYG sim card for 50p from the newsagents and use this as my business phone. I have it on during my working hours and turn it off when not working and always call back if a message is left.

Much better to keep business and personal seperate.

I only have one phone, I dont mind when a client calls, i had 5 bookings from calls over the last weekend, would have hated them to go elsewhere. If I'm out of busy i just get there number and call back at a more convenient time, everyone has been fine with this so far and i dont loose the booking :)

AJx

thanx guys!!!

im def gng give it a go!!

thanx!

Hiya,

I'm about to launch my mobile business and have decided on 2 phones. My personal phone is contract, but I went on the Orange website and got a free pay-as-you-go sim card and just put £10 credit on it. For when it's turned off, I've recorded a business answerphone message on it as I thought that sounded professional. I personally think one phone for everything can get confusing and I've read a few posts on here from people who have had problems with client complaints via text etc, so I think it's good to have seperates.

Laura x

I have 3 mobile phones (plus landlines), 1 for ltd company, 1 purely business and 1 which is personal and business. I do get calls/texts out of hours but I choose whether to answer the phone or not. if I don't they leave a message and I call them back the next working day.

People do take the p**s a bit i.e. calling at 10.30 at night or a Sunday but I never reply until a Monday and if they ask why I always say it's because I don't work late evenings or weekends.

My pure business phone gets turned off at weekends but i sometimes forget to switch it back on again!

I have a personal line (o2 contract) and also a business line (o2 payandgo).

At first it was a hassle because I kept having to swap sim cards as I only hadj iPhone 3G. When I upgraded to iPhone 4 I kept the old one for the business line.

Its better for me because I knw Which calls relate to business and The
voicemail message is relevant. Also I knw hw much I'm spending on phone calls/texts etc.

I think it purely a personal choice. I have one mobile phone, the message on my phone answer machine is for my business and if anyone calls and I don't have the number stored in my phone I answer it as a business call. As Im mobile I understand that my client base will be much smaller then others, but I don't have any problem managing my business professionally with one phone.

Annie x

I only have the one phone. I have a business voicemail on there, so if peeps phone and I can't get to it, they leave a message. All my family and friends know its also my work phone and it has never caused any problems.
I have also gained extra bookings by having it with me on my 'days off'. Sometimes I will answer it if it rings on my day off and I have booked people in who would have gone elsewhere if they hadn't of gotten an answer.
hth
x

I'm only going to have the one phone until I can gauge business when my leaflets are posted. If business goes absolutely *mental* (I can dream, can't I?!) then I'd consider having 2 phones.

I have 2 phones also! My work phone and my personal one which is an iphone and I have both switched on all the time. So I get all my personal and work calls texts and emails all day. I really dont mind it as I work for myself in the salon and although I want to look as professional as possible I also want to be flexible for them. Have a few clients who work odd hours so cant always call me during the day as they are sleeping! And they will call or text me at night.
I always make a point that clients can text me if they wish also! There is alot of people out there who I think must be scared of talking on the phone and do everything by text! As Im a text lover myself I dont mind if a client texts me asking to book in!

2 phones for me too, since day 1! My work PAYG phone cost me £20 so it is well worth it!

I like the freedom of being able to switch off my workphone when its my time!

I also think it looks more professional!

I only have the one phone. I have a business voicemail on there, so if peeps phone and I can't get to it, they leave a message. All my family and friends know its also my work phone and it has never caused any problems.
I have also gained extra bookings by having it with me on my 'days off'. Sometimes I will answer it if it rings on my day off and I have booked people in who would have gone elsewhere if they hadn't of gotten an answer.
hth
x

I understand that and most of the time I actually leave my work phone on at the weekends so I do pick up those calls, but that is my choice.

From a client point of view, I had the embarrassing situation of ringing my hairdresser when he was abroad on holiday because I'd got the date he was going wrong and thought I'd catch him. He only has one phone and I was really embarrassed at ringing him when he was on holiday. A separate phone would have had a holiday voicemail and been switched off!

Latest posts

Back