Shellac and Chemo?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brervixen

Reaction score
Hi guys, I understand this is quite a sensitive question. One of my friends is currently undergoing Chemotherapy, and our other friend wants to throw a bit of a pamper party for her, and wants me to do shellac nails for all the ladies.

So question is, can people who are undergoing chemo, have a shellac on?

I was also wondering this for gel as a family member what's a treatment but is undergoing chemo at moment x

Sorry I hate to trot out this reply but check with your insurance company. It's incredibly frustrating as numerous insurance companies won't insure you which is a real shame as there really isn't a problem in doing so, but we have to follow their terms and guidance.

My sister went through chemo a year back and I did Shellac her (she is my sister though and her consultant ok'd it). I didn't use any metal implements on her and I didn't massage her either. Some people suffer with soft nails or nails that come off during chemotherapy, others like my sister suffered with soft nails after her chemotherapy. In fact we found that the shellac actually protected her nails during and after chemotherapy.

As said though check with your insurance company first. It's incredibly annoying some refuse because the physical benefit I found for my sister was fantastic and the mental? Well her spirits completely lifted having her nails done. Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was wondering the same. Would the product last as long if the nails are soft? What did you find with your sister?

My mum went through chemo early this year and she was unable to keep shellac or gelish on it would just peel of in one piece ( this never happened before treatment, lasted really well) and even now after treatment this still happens, mind you she is still on medication. All her nails have gone black like they are bruised, this is growing out slowly.
I don't think any 2 people are the same so if the doctors say its fine it will be try and error x

As Natlaw says it's different for every person. My sis had no black nails just very soft. We kept them short and sometimes super short and she got just under two weeks out of them. Just bear in mind when having treatments sometimes they need to have their nails free of any kind of nail coating. Also make absolutely sure that if you go ahead that your friend doesn't pick it off, I live about 70 miles from my sis and before her cancer she used to pick her shellac off despite being told not to. Whilst going through chemo and after it I made sure I left her with dsolve and foil, as the last thing you need when having chemo or after it, is trauma to already delicate nails. Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Someone asked me if i could do their sisters nails she is also currently going through chemo, I really wasnt sure myself but i asked if she could just check with her nurse and the answer was no unfortunately. As she didn't want her going under UV light.

My mum also had chemo treatment and I think apart from the insurance side of things there is a real concern with infection, the body is already under so much strain at this time dealing with the chemo that if they then had a nick or picked up an infection it could become quite serious :-( if it were a family member/close friend and the consultant ok'd it then I possibly would but I think most tend to say no unfortunately as its just not worth the risk.xx

Thanks guys. I will get her to check with her doctors and I will check with my insurance.

I have two ladies who are having Chemo who have Shellac and Gelish and one lady who has finished her treatment but was left with deep Beau lines, caused by the Chemo.
The two ladies who are having treatment at the moment have both obtained letters from their consultant to say it was ok to proceed and my insurance company are happy with this. They both love having their nails done and are aware that they may or may not last. It all helps to keep their routine, makes them feel good about themselves and keeps a sense of normality.xx

Would have lots of benefit for her but as above get written consent x

I can't really answer about the Shellac in particular... but i can tell you there are many skin and nail issues that come up due to the side effects of chemotherapy.

Of course it completely depends on the chemotherapy, some are worse than others. I can't go into how the chemo works because there are many different ways depending on the agent/class of drug.

we wind up giving a lot of education to patients receiving chemo... everything from being careful what they use on their skin (to use only mild soaps), being sure they dont' use products that have alcohol and perfume. use plenty of sun screen etc.

Most of the patient fliers from the US government cancer site (Cancer.Gov) state to be sure to check in with their doctor/nurse before having a manicure.

I understand wanting to pamper, but the best pampering might be a gentle manicure and giving her lots of great products to use on her own.. because even a massage could break down some skin.

I personally would not recommend it this could be the outcome from experience by the way.

Her poor nails were about to break at the re-growth part :( image.jpg

Latest posts

Back