Shellac and MRI's

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmalebron

Reaction score
Quick question that I got asked today.... Does anybody know if there is any problem with someone having an MRI scan whilst wearing shellac?

Previously my client has removed her acrylic nails when having previous scans but wanted to know if she needed her shellac removing or whether it wouldn't matter?

In my experience Hun generally the issue with having anything on the nail which obscures the colour of the nail bed is that medical peeps like to be able to see the colour of the nail bed to ensure circulation and blood oxygen levels are as they should be. This is the only reason people having operations are requested to remove nail polish.

Having said that, never in history has an emergency operation been halted while someone nips off to get some acetone to remove nail polish, so there are ways around it. Having had a head, neck and spinal MRI myself I had no request to remove this and in fact had polish on both fingers and toes.

I would advise clients having an operation not to have anything which requires professional removal just in case, but an MRI is usually just an out patient procedure so IMHO not an issue.

In my experience Hun generally the issue with having anything on the nail which obscures the colour of the nail bed is that medical peeps like to be able to see the colour of the nail bed to ensure circulation and blood oxygen levels are as they should be. This is the only reason people having operations are requested to remove nail polish.

Having said that, never in history has an emergency operation been halted while someone nips off to get some acetone to remove nail polish, so there are ways around it. Having had a head, neck and spinal MRI myself I had no request to remove this and in fact had polish on both fingers and toes.

I would advise clients having an operation not to have anything which requires professional removal just in case, but an MRI is usually just an out patient procedure so IMHO not an issue.

The last time my mum went in for an op and they askeed her to take her polish off she said 'is it really so you can tell in there's enough oxygen in my system' the nurse replied yes so my mum gestured to all of the machines and technology she was wired up to and said 'Why?, are we expecting a power cut?'

The last time my mum went in for an op and they askeed her to take her polish off she said 'is it really so you can tell in there's enough oxygen in my system' the nurse replied yes so my mum gestured to all of the machines and technology she was wired up to and said 'Why?, are we expecting a power cut?'

Lol! :lol:

Thanx guys!! I kinda thought that already but thought it was best to check ;) x

I had shellac on when I went to hospital for my gall bladder op earlier in the year. there hadn't been anything on the paperwork about it, nor was it mentioned at the pre-op appointment (when I also had coloured shellac on).

A nurse arrived with the acetone for me to remove the polish on my toenails. It seems it's not a visual check that they want, although this may have been the case in times past, but the clip thing they put on your finger detects your blood oxygen levels and if there is polish on it may not give an accurate reading. I was told that if it didn't work on my finger they would just clip it on my toe! In the event, it was OK through my rather gorgeous 'Hollywood' shellac! I believe it depends on the density of the colour that you have on.

SOmeone else may know more about this, just a report on my own experiences.

Hello!

Well I'm stuck in hospital receiving my chemotherapy at the moment and there's no way I'm giving up my Shellac - in fact I've got my full salon kit set up in my room and even do my nurses nails lol.

So to answer your question; the oxygen monitors work fine with Shellac. It's only an acrylic or gel that would possibly obscure a reading to my knowledge. Oh and diamantes. I've had an MRI with Shellac on too and no probs.

It's bad enough being ill without being told we can't have fabulous nails! Solar oil is a god send for my nails just now too.

Hope that helps, Lee-Anne xxx

Hello!

Well I'm stuck in hospital receiving my chemotherapy at the moment and there's no way I'm giving up my Shellac - in fact I've got my full salon kit set up in my room and even do my nurses nails lol.

BLESS YOU

So to answer your question; the oxygen monitors work fine with Shellac. It's only an acrylic or gel that would possibly obscure a reading to my knowledge. Oh and diamantes. I've had an MRI with Shellac on too and no probs.

It's bad enough being ill without being told we can't have fabulous nails! Solar oil is a god send for my nails just now too.

get well soon xxxx

Hello!

You'll have the best nails on the ward. Get well soon:hug: xxx

There is no request to remove nails for M.R.I scans but you must remove all nail coverings if undergoing surgery.

To the O.P. in my (huge!) experience with hospitals it seems that private hospitals are alot more lenient about nails than NHS. I have recently had surgery in a private hospital and they allowed me to still have my gel enhancements on as long as it was just a french manicure and they couldsee the nailbed yet the NHS told me to remove them completely even though both were under general anaesthetic for the same surgery. So it obviously differs greatly from hospital to hospital.

I think your client should phone and ask the hospital to be on the safe side really HTH xx

You must always remove all nail coverings on fingers and toes for general anesthetic. You do not have to remove for M.R.I scans which is an appointment and not an admittance

With MRi scans just need to be careful with anything metallic. it reacts badly with the MRI. I know that if you have tattoos pre a certain date the ink used to sometimes contain certain metal traces which heat up in the scan and can leave nasty burns on the skin, im guessing it would be the same for anything metallic on the nails etc. I used to be a medical secretary so had to advise people of this, hope this info helps xx

You must always remove all nail coverings on fingers and toes for general anesthetic. You do not have to remove for M.R.I scans which is an appointment and not an admittance

When i had an op last year i was told that i must remove my acrylic nails on both index fingers, but the others could remain. i did this, and then argued with the anaesthetist when he put the finger thingy on my middle finger over my acrylic nail??... I went through for my Op with it on my middle finger!! xx

Maybe it does depend on private v NHS but I had an op 4 weeks ago. I kept shellac on all fingers apart from thumbs which I removed and they were totally fine with it. HTH's:biggrin:

I have never removed my biosculpture overlays from toes or fingers for any procedure involving local or general anaesthetic nor for my MRI scan.

The nurses ALWAYS try to make you remove it, I thank them and advise them I will speak to the anaethetist.

The anaethetists have never had a problem.

The little thing they put on your finger (sorry brain won't come up with the correct word) can go sideways on your finger or it can be put on your ear.

A nail may give a teeny weeny clue as to what is happening to you but in all seriousness if it was the ONLY thing keeping you alive in a theatre full of technology it would be a bit worrying.

Jacqui xx

I went in for a camera down the throat and had to be knocked out. I forgot to remove my acrylic and the nurse didn't notice it because it was natural with no shine. So when they put the monitor on my finger the pulse didn't show up, so I moved it to another finger when they weren't looking and it started to work :)
Must have applied acrylic a bit too thick on original finger :)

A nail may give a teeny weeny clue as to what is happening to you but in all seriousness if it was the ONLY thing keeping you alive in a theatre full of technology it would be a bit worrying.

Jacqui xx

Lol! totally agree xx

I am an MRI nurse, and we are receiving warnings that some patients are receiving nail bed burns while undergoing an MRI scan. We are told that certain nail polishes have a metal product (perhaps iron oxide or pigment) which heats up when it is near the MRI magnet ... and that heat causes burns to the patient's nail beds. We do not know the brand name or type of polish ... only to be careful when pre-screening our patients for this particular type of polish which will need to be removed.

Maybe it does depend on private v NHS but I had an op 4 weeks ago. I kept shellac on all fingers apart from thumbs which I removed and they were totally fine with it. HTH's:biggrin:

I had a op using a local last week and I took my shellac off but wore one coat of clearly pink and buffed the shine off, mainly so they wouldn't say anything about it to me and the little finger thing worked fine over the shellac aswell but then again mines was only one coat so maybe that's why too.

Latest posts

Back