Shellac clients all getting peeling nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You beat me to it Planky :)

One of the biggest selling points with Shellac is that there is no buffing of the natural nail.I seriously hope it was not a CND Educator, if it was booked through S2 I would do as Planky said and drop them an email....as you have spent hard earned money being misinformed.

Search all of the threads, no buffing, no metal tools for removal.

I take a very high dose of thyroxin & I do my own nails with Shellac and have never had an issue, thankfully!

Me neither and I'm on a high dose too. I do my own and it lasts 3 weeks. I think everyone is just different. Our diets change in the winter, we don't drink enough water and we ALL lack vitamin D. These things can make a huge difference to the condition of our hair, skin and nails. I have a couple of over 65's who's nails are dry and flakey, I've fixed it by using the new smoothing gel.

You've also mentioned about buffing off where there is new growth, shellac should be completely soaked off and reapplied at each appointment

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek
Once the shellac is fully removed you are still left with new growth from beyond where the shellac was removed. Yes it was a CND EA and maybe they taught her something different for the climate we are in who knows. I have NO problems and have been doing shellac for 2+ years so they must of taught me something right.

I think what jwalenton means is that she uses a metal pusher to remove the cuticle growth after Shellac is removed.

You beat me to it Planky :)

One of the biggest selling points with Shellac is that there is no buffing of the natural nail.I seriously hope it was not a CND Educator, if it was booked through S2 I would do as Planky said and drop them an email....as you have spent hard earned money being misinformed.

Search all of the threads, no buffing, no metal tools for removal.

Here is the info for "buffing" from CND

CND Blog » Q&A #2 Why are a few of my Shellac clients peeling?

Yes, you would lightly buff away any 'peeling' of the nail, you don't buff the nails of every client prior to application and you would never buff the entire nail, only where there is peeling/delamination, that is NOT protocol and is what you were implying should be done and what has been taught to you and we are informing that this is the incorrect way to perform a Shellac manicure. It's whole USP is that there is NO buffing

And also just to clarify that metal tools should NEVER be used to remove Shellac. Most of the Shellac should come off after soaking in remover and wraps. If there is any product left on the nail, a gentle push with your OWS will remove the rest and for any stubborn product left on the nail you would use a lint free pad soaked in remover to remove the rest. We never use a metal tool and we never buff shellac off the nail

Yes, you would lightly buff away any 'peeling' of the nail, you don't buff the nails of every client prior to application and you would never buff the entire nail, only where there is peeling/delamination, that is NOT protocol and is what you were implying should be done and what has been taught to you and we are informing that this is the incorrect way to perform a Shellac manicure. It's whole USP is that there is NO buffing

And also just to clarify that metal tools should NEVER be used to remove Shellac. Most of the Shellac should come off after soaking in remover and wraps. If there is any product left on the nail, a gentle push with your OWS will remove the rest and for any stubborn product left on the nail you would use a lint free pad soaked in remover to remove the rest. We never use a metal tool and we never buff shellac off the nail

Again I do not scrape with a metal pusher 99% of shellac is off with the wraps.nyou guys are being overly literal. I use the metal pusher to remove what is left NOT SCRAPE it off it lifts right off, I could use my finger to wipe it off it need be. My point is people stated you NEVER buff n that is wrong. Most of my clients are elderly and are dehydrated so they have Delam happening at every appt even with regular polish. Also if the client has other issues such as ridges your also suppose to lightly buff. What it comes own to is go to CND and read their blogs.

Again I do not scrape with a metal pusher 99% of shellac is off with the wraps.nyou guys are being overly literal. I use the metal pusher to remove what is left NOT SCRAPE it off it lifts right off, I could use my finger to wipe it off it need be. My point is people stated you NEVER buff n that is wrong. Most of my clients are elderly and are dehydrated so they have Delam happening at every appt even with regular polish. Also if the client has other issues such as ridges your also suppose to lightly buff. What it comes own to is go to CND and read their blogs.
Frankly it is you who is being literal.
What CND say is that we never buff as a routine part of preparation when using Shellac.
Any manicurist would smooth de-lamination or ridges (well some kinds of ridges and not others) before polishing which is a special circumstance. However Now, with the new Brisa Lite Smoothing gel, you do not even have to do that ... how about that then .. cool eh?

CND do suggest not to use a metal tool for removing Shellac and are suggesting more and more, that only a gauze pad or similar needs to be used to remove any loose flakes.

Here is what Doug schoon has to say about safe removal.

Schoon Scientific - Doug Schoon, scientist and nail industry expert provides educational articles

As this is a site that is used by many students and nail technicians all over the world it is sometimes necessary to be literal as people read these threads and use the information in these threads as a supplementary resource of learning and education and some take the written word on this site VERY literally. It is therefore paramount that we give out the correct information as well as help nail technicians who may be carrying out procedures incorrectly. I myself have learnt a huge amount more from this site and continue to do so.

The fact is, is no matter how it is used or how gently, a metal tool should not be used during any stage of the removal process. A nail must not be buffed prior to a Shellac application unless in the case of a delaminated/peeling nail that requires it, which as Geeg has pointed out can now actually be remedied by using Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel.

Your original comments stated that a nail should be buffed. You did not mention that it should only be in the case of a delaminated nail, so we picked up on it to give out the correct information.

As this is a site that is used by many students and nail technicians all over the world it is sometimes necessary to be literal as people read these threads and use the information in these threads as a supplementary resource of learning and education and some take the written word on this site VERY literally. It is therefore paramount that we give out the correct information as well as help nail technicians who may be carrying out procedures incorrectly. I myself have learnt a huge amount more from this site and continue to do so.

The fact is, is no matter how it is used or how gently, a metal tool should not be used during any stage of the removal process. A nail must not be buffed prior to a Shellac application unless in the case of a delaminated/peeling nail that requires it, which as Geeg has pointed out can now actually be remedied by using Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel.

Your original comments stated that a nail should be buffed. You did not mention that it should only be in the case of a delaminated nail, so we picked up on it to give out the correct information.

Precisely! Thanks Claire. Well said.

The fact is that this is a teaching site and @jwalenton you are new to it. No one is 'getting' at you so no need to be defensive :hug: ... what we are doing is using a point you made in your post and clarifying it for the edification of all students.

The more precise ones answers can be, the better for the sake of the new ones who are learning the 'ropes' otherwise there will be misunderstanding. No false information, confusing information or ambiguity if possible (in an ideal world :) ).

We will 'pick up' on anything that might mislead or confuse ... it happens to me, to others and to all of us at some time or other. Take it gracefully in the correct spirit of learning and not personally, if it happens to you. Many will have learned something from your comment and the ones following which is the positive thing.

Latest posts

Back