Shellac Colour Layering Problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisastark27

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is the first time I've posted, not really sure how it all works but need your help so here goes.....

I was very excited when I heard (& saw on the CND website) that the Shellac colours could be layered to create lots of new colours but have just tried some of the combinations (on colourpops) and they look really rubbish!!!?!?!?
They just look like two colours on top of each other, not the blues, purples or bolds that they show.
Tell me what I am doing wrong????
I really want to offer the layering colours to my clients but don't want to waste their time (or mine) if they don't look as they are supposed to.
Any advice or tips would be really gratefully received :)

I think it depends on the colors that you try
the first one I tryed and maybe the best lol is
fedora
then
red bareness

try it let us know how you go :)

Tell us what colors of Shellac you have and maybe we can help you out. :)

Hi,
Ive tried the Romantique first, then Negligee over the top- looks good.

I tried it on some nail enhancement tips and I agree, it didnt come out as nice as on my own nails, so try it on yourself first. Don't forget the colour pops are more translucent than real nails, so that may be the reason they don't look so good.:)

Also, I have better luck layering a frost over something else. I did a coat of Strawberry Smoothie with Romantique over it and it looked awful. When I put Negligee over SS, it looked great.

I also did Hot Chilis over Tropix. I'm still on love with the color! Tropix looks awful on me (wrong skin tone) but with HC over it, WOW! :)

Iced Cappuccino with romantique gives a lovely nude colour.
Also Fedora with Hot Chilli's gives a lovely brown/red sparkley colour.

I think the trick is to get the first coat of colour as even as possible then layer the next colour over the top but try not to drag your brush as it causes the top layer to streak, so your kinda gliding the 2nd layer of colour on.:green:

Fedora with Negligee gives a nice purple tone & looks great even on a colour-pop x

I think sometimes its better to use 2 coats of 1st colour then 1 of second, I used fedora x2 and negliegee x1 fab colour! tried 1x fedora then tutti frutti looked awful so added anther tutti frutti this was accidental too busy gabbin to my client oops! ok colour but think it would have looked much nicer other way round hth xx

I did one layer of Fedora and one layer of tutti frutti and it makes a lovely purple, kind of cadbury's purple, i loved it!

I *love* romantique x1 then negligee x1. It makes a great skin tone color with a bit of shimmer! The first few times I layered were disasters, mainly because I wasn't getting the first layer even.

Latest posts

Back