Shellac disaster - used top coat instead of bottom coat!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitz&Glamour

Reaction score
Can not believe what I have done!

I have just done Shellac on a client and it wasn't until I came to use my top coat that I noticed I had used the top coat on top of the nail instead of bottom coat.
My client was very understanding and I told her not to pay me but she still gave me part payment.

Does anyone know what will happen to her manicure? will it stay on or will it peel?
She did not have time for me to start again so she has arranged to come back next week.
I could kick myself...........

Awwww...my heart goes out to you. :hug:

I'm not sure what will happen but do keep us posted. That's how we learn.

Awww poor you! I nearly did this, luckily on myself though!

I'm guessing it will probably peel or chip. The base coat grabs the nail plate and then anchors the colour in place. The top coat obviously isn't designed to do the same.

Tracy x

It was such a silly mistake to do, hopefully I will learn from it.
I will let you know what happens to her nails next week when she come back.
Xxx

Wouldn't it be good if CND were to do 2 different color bottles for the shellac base and top coat instead of gold and silver labels. I have to double check all the time. :)

It will be fine, I apply Shellac colour on top of the top coat when i have done a fibreglass and it is fine, it lasts same time too

I colour my lids of my bottles so they're easier to identify!

Wouldn't it be good if CND were to do 2 different color bottles for the shellac base and top coat instead of gold and silver labels. I have to double check all the time. :)

I've used some bright pink nail polish to paint a B and a T in large letters on the front of the bottles...so much easier at a glance.

I've put GB and GT on my glitter ones xx

It will be fine, I apply Shellac colour on top of the top coat when i have done a fibreglass and it is fine, it lasts same time too

I think that might be because it's on top of fibreglass, on a totally natural nail I'm not sure it will bond?

OP
If its any consolation I have a feeling I used disperse instead of scrub fresh last night :sad: I'm hoping because I did a removal with dsolve it will have dehydrated it enough so stupid!!!

Hugs,

On a natural nail I don't think it'd be the same outcome - more than likely chip.

Nevermind OP, least you were honest with the client - let us know how you get on :)

I think that might be because it's on top of fibreglass, on a totally natural nail I'm not sure it will bond?

OP
If its any consolation I have a feeling I used disperse instead of scrub fresh last night :sad: I'm hoping because I did a removal with dsolve it will have dehydrated it enough so stupid!!!

Hugs,

Yeah true, i already had the fibreglass bonded to the nail, so it is different

Good point I am always double checking the bottles many times I have realised I have the wrong bottle before it has gone on the nail. Think I will be putting stickers on the lids to help.

Let us know what happens I would be interested to see if they last. :) x

The way I remember which one is which, is that when I'm finished my Shellac service I think of it like getting to the finish line and getting a gold medal :D

When Shellac came out first, the bottles were very similar and because I wanted to know which was which at a glance, I would apply a little crystal on the top of the lid on the top coat.

I'm not sure what will happen with your client's nails, but at least you were honest with the fact that you made a mistake and she'll know to contact you if she has problems.

If they do last, just remember to allow a bit more time for removal, as the base coat contains easy release polymers and without this, I'm sure it will take longer to remove.

HTHs

The way I remember which one is which, is that when I'm finished my Shellac service I think of it like getting to the finish line and getting a gold medal :D

When Shellac came out first, the bottles were very similar and because I wanted to know which was which at a glance, I would apply a little crystal on the top of the lid on the top coat.

I'm not sure what will happen with your client's nails, but at least you were honest with the fact that you made a mistake and she'll know to contact you if she has problems.

If they do last, just remember to allow a bit more time for removal, as the base coat contains easy release polymers and without this, I'm sure it will take longer to remove.

HTHs

I like the crystal on the lid idea :)

Awww you poor thing, I really feel or you. Not sure how it will effect the service but it may take longer to remove. I think we all make mistakes, mine was forgetting to scrub fresh last week and didn't remember until I was into the 1st colour coat! So annoyed with myself, but won't do it again!

Thought getting a gold medal was a great way to remember which was top coat, I won't forget that from now on :)

I would apply a little crystal on the top of the lid on the top coat.

Love that idea An*Gel! I use the small bottles of base coat and the large bottles of top coat to stop me getting confused! xx

Love that idea An*Gel! I use the small bottles of base coat and the large bottles of top coat to stop me getting confused! xx

I do that too! :lol:

I do sympathise. I have almost done this a couple of times and come out in a hot sweat.

My mistake last week was to forget to wash off the cuticle away on a client. I think we learn from these mistakes and never make the same mistake twice.

Keep us posted, it will be interesting to see what happens to her Shellac.

Thank you all so much for your comments & support. I have certainly learnt my lesson. Must concentrate on what I'm doing and not become complacent.
I think I will put another label on the bottles to prevent it happening again.
I will keep you all posted on how long the nails last.
X

Latest posts

Back