Shellac - First Attempt

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kazzii-x

Reaction score
Hello Beautiful Geeks.

Today i did my first ever set of Shellac i did it on myself. I encountered a few glitches. Im not even sure if i did this right now :eek:, I watched the CND video on Youtube. I did my PEP. I put basecoat on in a thin layer on each nail cured for 10 seconds, i tool my hand out and they were still sticky so everything was sticking to my finger nails :/ that wasnt a fantastic start. I did my thin colour coat used Tutti Fruiti cured for 2 minutes did my second colour coat cured for 2 minutes again. Did my topcoat cured for 2 minutes. Wiped with d sperse and what do you know THE COLOUR WAS COMING OFF ONTO THE HANDS DOWN PAD :mad:. So of course being a Beauty technitian and a self confessed perfectionist i thought Darn it!!! I want and need to be perfect at everything first time. yes im hard on myself, but i want to be one of the best in this industry. Tell me your HONEST opinion, i would really appreciate some pointers. I so badly want to be good at Shellac.

DSCN3765.jpg

Thanks lovely geeks :D x

Last edited:
Whoops, no photos.

If you want your efforts to be critiqued, then perhaps posting to the Nail Critiques section of The Nail Geek Forum would be best.

Hope that helps.

Heya hun,
Attached the photo now, I do wanted them critiqued. But id also like to know where im going wrong aswell. Hopefully you lovely geeks can help x

Whoops, no photos.

If you want your efforts to be critiqued, then perhaps posting to the Nail Critiques section of The Nail Geek Forum would be best.

Hope that helps.

Heya hun,
Attached the photo now, I do wanted them critiqued. But id also like to know where im going wrong aswell. Hopefully you lovely geeks can help x

I too found the tacky layer odd when I first did Shellac on myself...only started 6 weeks ago. But it is how it should be, so you are not doing anything wrong there.

I would say, from reading the replies to other posts on this subject, that you did not get full coverage on your top coat, so try doing another thin layer and see if you get any colour on your pad after that :biggrin:

It may be that you didn't completely cover the coloured layer with top coat, hence the colour on your pad? Are you using the correct lamp etc? X

Thanks hunny, this site is fab for advice. Hopefully my 2nd set of Shellac will be nearly perfect :D x x

I too found the tacky layer odd when I first did Shellac on myself...only started 6 weeks ago. But it is how it should be, so you are not doing anything wrong there.

I would say, from reading the replies to other posts on this subject, that you did not get full coverage on your top coat, so try doing another thin layer and see if you get any colour on your pad after that :biggrin:

Yep using the new CND lamp from Sweet Squared all blue film is removed too.

It may be that you didn't completely cover the coloured layer with top coat, hence the colour on your pad? Are you using the correct lamp etc? X

I agree with the others... you just need to make sure that you cover the entire nail with top coat, because if not you will have some colour on the pad.

The next time you do your own nails, I would advise you do one hand at a time to avoid getting stuck to everything, as the Shellac will stay sticky right up until you wipe at the end.

HTHs

Thanks hun, i wasnt sure which order to do it in thats why i tried to follow the normal order. ill try one hand at a time on myself next time. Thankyou for your help x

I agree with the others... you just need to make sure that you cover the entire nail with top coat, because if not you will have some colour on the pad.

The next time you do your own nails, I would advise you do one hand at a time to avoid getting stuck to everything, as the Shellac will stay sticky right up until you wipe at the end.

HTHs

With Shellac, you want to put your base coat onto the nail, not quite to the cuticle or sidewalls. Then, apply your color just up to the base coat, not going over. Then, apply your top coat just OVER the base and color, so that it seals the color in. It's kind of tricky to get right at first because it's such a small margin, but once you get it, you won't see any color on the hands down pad! :)

Another thought, doing Shellac on yourself is going to be more difficult. To get good coverage, you want to pinch the sidewalls down as your polishing. And that's hard to do on yourself! Not saying you shouldn't or cant do Shellac on yourself! Just saying it's more difficult! Maybe grab someone from your family and let them be your practice model. :)

Thanks hunny, this site is fab for advice. Hopefully my 2nd set of Shellac will be nearly perfect :D x x

You are most welcome sweetie :cool:

...and Princess Layla...have you been reading my thought?? :lol:

Thanks for the tip hun :D x

With Shellac, you want to put your base coat onto the nail, not quite to the cuticle or sidewalls. Then, apply your color just up to the base coat, not going over. Then, apply your top coat just OVER the base and color, so that it seals the color in. It's kind of tricky to get right at first because it's such a small margin, but once you get it, you won't see any color on the hands down pad! :)

HTHs

Fab tip as always An*Gel :biggrin:

HTHs
Thays exactly what I do, finish 1 hand at a time!

Hello Beautiful Geeks.

Today i did my first ever set of Shellac i did it on myself. I encountered a few glitches. Im not even sure if i did this right now :eek:, I watched the CND video on Youtube. I did my PEP. I put basecoat on in a thin layer on each nail cured for 10 seconds, i tool my hand out and they were still sticky so everything was sticking to my finger nails :/ that wasnt a fantastic start.
The inhibition layer is sticky and this is normal and nothing unusual. Do one hand at a time on yourself to avoid getting into a mess.

I did my thin colour coat used Tutti Fruiti cured for 2 minutes did my second colour coat cured for 2 minutes again. Did my topcoat cured for 2 minutes. Wiped with d sperse and what do you know THE COLOUR WAS COMING OFF ONTO THE HANDS DOWN PAD :mad:. So of course being a Beauty technitian and a self confessed perfectionist i thought Darn it!!! I want and need to be perfect at everything first time. yes im hard on myself, but i want to be one of the best in this industry. Tell me your HONEST opinion, i would really appreciate some pointers. I so badly want to be good at Shellac.

DSCN3765.jpg

Thanks lovely geeks :D x
If you do not cover everything you have done with top coat, then you will remove some colour when you wipe with D.Sperse. You top coat does not look as smooth or as shiny as it should because you have not encapsulated everything you did before, with your top coat. ALL instructions and info re Shellac is right here on salongeek in the articles and tutorials section with FULL instructions.

Have you booked yourself onto a Shellac course? Mine was great, really enjoyable and informative. I've had no issues with Shellac at all because the course was so helpful.

Latest posts

Back