Shellac French manicures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrspip

Reaction score
Hi all
Just wondering what brush you use when you are doing shellac French manicures?
Thanks geeks

Do you mean the brush you would use to clean up smile lines?

You've mentioned in another thread that you were told in your training it was OK to use any 36W UV lamp which is incorrect, you need to use the CND lamp... can I ask where you were trained?

I just use the brush in the Shellac bottle.
x

Hi An*Gel

I was trained at The Beauty Academy in Cambridge and just did my training today. We used what I would call a standard lamp, with no branding, a 36w lamp and that cured our shellac just fine.
I had heard that I should only use a CND lamp only with shellac so asked about this, and both Teachers said any 36w lamp would be ok.

Sorry An*Gel,
I forget to say, yes, it is for the smile line

Thanks

Hi An*Gel

I was trained at The Beauty Academy in Cambridge and just did my training today. We used what I would call a standard lamp, with no branding, a 36w lamp and that cured our shellac just fine.
I had heard that I should only use a CND lamp only with shellac so asked about this, and both Teachers said any 36w lamp would be ok.

Thanks for that.

OK Well, I'm not sure why they told you that, but I'm afraid it's not correct.

You need the CND lamp to cure Shellac or the vintage CND lamp, so I just wanted to clear that up for you, as you must feel very confused now.

I'm a Shellac Education Ambassador by the way.

Anyway, sorry for going off topic on your thread, but the Brisa gel brush is great to tidy smile lines... just dip into a tiny bit of Dsperse to dampen slightly.

HTHs :hug:

I use a dotting tool for the white after learning it at a special class.
I find that I have much more control and don't have anything to tidy up.

S2 sell a nail art brush set, I use the wider brush to clean up the smile line slightly dampened with dsperse.
Rhiannon x

I use a dotting tool for the white after learning it at a special class.
I find that I have much more control and don't have anything to tidy up.

Can you explain this please, sorry I sound dumb but do you mean you sort fill in the dots or sort of draw a line and colour in (really not good at explaining this am I!!)

My white is ok but I struggle sometimes when there is little or no free edge so if this method gives more control, i'm all for it.

Heather x

Hi An*Gel

The training that you have had R.E shellac is not the official training by CND hence why you have been mis informed about the lamp. Also probably why you haven't been given the information RE french application properly.
Although you say it has cured fine, maybe to the naked eye it has but unless you have access to a lab where you can test the product you are going to run the risk of over exposure issues to your clients from under cured products, and repeated use of the incorrect system.
You will probably suffer from service breakdown and longevity issues.
Not only that but you are going to be unable to explain to your clients why it may not be lasting as you have been told any old 36watt lamp will cure it, when in fact Shellac will only work at its full potential when used as a system.
Why did you get your training from the Beauty academy who actually charge more for Shellac and minx training than you would have done direct through CND for the official training.?

Hi all, Thanks for all your information and help.
I do understand about the curing issues, and obviously want to give as good as a result as I can, so I will no doubt end up with a CND lamp as I don't want to get off to a bad start.
I had heard that only a CND lamp would work with shellac which is why I asked.
To be honest, i am very new to the beauty world and did not really know where i wanted to start, but decided on shellac and minx. The Beauty Academy is local to me and I struggle to get time off of work do this was the best option as they train at weekends.

Thanks for the info on the brushes. I'll take a look a S2.

I was very excited after my training yesterday, but now feel slightly deflated. Oh well.

Don't feel deflated hun. I had no idea either about the lamps. Now I know which set 2 buy when I do the training!! Think positive - Better knowing these things now eh. It's what nail geek is all about. Keep smiling :)

Don't feel deflated :hug:

You have all of us here on Salon Geek and we'll help you out as best we can with any questions you may have.

I spent thousands over the years on training and I didn't have Salon Geek back then... actually I only discovered it in 2008 and I can't believe how much I've learned from this site and all for free!

I was taught things in College that I had to unlearn, but I just felt grateful to this site for steering me in the right direction.

Pheew thank God for Salon Geek :)

Edit.. sorry C@meron it took me forever to type that cause I was doing two things at once :lol:

Ditto

Last edited:
Hi all, Thanks for all your information and help.
I do understand about the curing issues, and obviously want to give as good as a result as I can, so I will no doubt end up with a CND lamp as I don't want to get off to a bad start.
I had heard that only a CND lamp would work with shellac which is why I asked.
To be honest, i am very new to the beauty world and did not really know where i wanted to start, but decided on shellac and minx. The Beauty Academy is local to me and I struggle to get time off of work do this was the best option as they train at weekends.

Thanks for the info on the brushes. I'll take a look a S2.

I was very excited after my training yesterday, but now feel slightly deflated. Oh well.

Don't feel too deflated lovely because what you have done right is find Salon Geek! And you have found it in the early days of your learning curve.

There are loads of amazing geeks on this site with so much experience and advice. People that most of us would never ever be able to approach for advice in our normal every day lifes!!

Use the search facility to find out as much information as you can about whatever it is you want to know.

This will give you a feel for the geeks themelves and their styles of response. Learn to set aside your own feelings on others 'style of posting' and take the brilliant advice and the message that is being provided.

The training you have currently received has not been great but just on this one post you have had the benefit of advice from two of the best CND ambassadors (busybee and angel).

Where do you ever think you would have been able to have any advice whatsoever from these people? Nowhere, is the answer.

So don't be deflated. Be happy you have found the best place to find the best advice to make you the best professional that you can be.

Peace and respect

Jacqui xx

An*gel I can't believe we have written pretty much the same thing at the same time!!!!

You keep on doing that .. are you really a witch in an angel's disguise lol

Big hugs lovely xxx

Last edited:
An*gel I can't believe we have written pretty much the same thing at the same time!!!!

You keep on doing that .. are you really a witch in an angel's disgise lol

Big hugs lovely xxx

Don't be fooled by these little wings and my nappy! :lol:

That's for your lovely pick me up comments- turn a negative into a positive, most definitely.
You are all so correct I am lucky to have found the Geeks, and I am grateful for all your comments.
I'm just annoyed that I have spent money on training which may not have been as good as it should have been, but then being new to the beauty world, I didn't know any different. I did learn things, even if I have to do some again

Thanks for all your advice

I may be a little sad but I love my CND lamp, it looks so clean and professional and I like everything to match. It is not a big investment at all to keep your shellac as good as it should be and your clients happy. It is really hard when you are picking courses, I only found CND as my local college were no longer doing any adult education.

I had no idea I had found one of the best companies around. The geeks on here will really help you. Don't feel down at all, feel excited to be in the nail world. Plus there are plenty of add on classes you can do e.g. shellac nail art. I am sure there must be an CND ambassador locally to you also. This is not putting college training down at all, there will be plenty of amazing courses out there. I personally found it great to train with the same company that produces your product.

Enjoy salon geek and shellac. :hug:

Latest posts

Back