Shellac? Geleration? Gelish? decisions decisions!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzanne1118

Reaction score
Has anyone tried more than one of them? which is better? I know shellac have little colours but do they all last the same time? And why do some of them say 2 week manicure and some say 3! Surely it would have grown too far after 3 weeks??

Has anyone tried more than one of them? which is better? I know shellac have little colours but do they all last the same time? And why do some of them say 2 week manicure and some say 3! Surely it would have grown too far after 3 weeks??

I've tried several coloured gels now but I use Shellac (which is not a coloured gel).

For some stupid reason, many technicians are claiming 3 weeks lasting for the manicures done with these products ... probably for the same silly reason as usual which is, that they think their clients won't return every 2 weeks (as suggested they should) so they push it to three and boast about it going as far as 4 which is crazy crazy, because the nails look awful after 2-2 and a half weeks with ugly looking re-growth as you quite rightly point out.

I used to have regular manicure clients who came in every WEEK to have their nails polished before the weekend. THESE are the ladies I target as the absolutely best users for Shellac. Why? Because they are natural nail clients who are over the moon to have a manicure that lasts 14 days and a bit more if they're lucky. They don't want to push it to 3 weeks and 4 weeks ..no way. Thrilled they are. Less time in the salon than before and only a small extra cost than they were paying every week!

It is only the enhancement clients who complain and want a manicure to last as long as their enhancements!! Techs should stop pandering to them. It's new clients we want to attract not the same ones we've already got!! :rolleyes: Instead of marketing the product to existing clients, Techs should be marketng to a whole new set of clients ... that is what will grow your business.

If some want to tread water with existing clients then that is a silly business decision. We don't even offer Shellac to our enhancement clients. We offer it as a natural nail service and for pedicures and the clients can't rave enough about it. It is attracting attention from a whole new quarter. :lol:

Thats great advice thank you. I will keep it away from nail extension clients! It's common sence but I didnt think of it!! Are you finding clients complaining about the lack of colour in the shellac? I didnt realise the others were coloured gel, does that mean they do damage the nail unlike the shellac?

Thats great advice thank you. I will keep it away from nail extension clients! It's common sence but I didnt think of it!! Are you finding clients complaining about the lack of colour in the shellac? I didnt realise the others were coloured gel, does that mean they do damage the nail unlike the shellac?

Coloured gel itself does not damage the nail, but every brand of coloured gel does state in the instructions to buff the nail plate first with a file to help it to stick.

Buffing of the nail plate is not required with Shellac .. no buffing at all.

The more intact the surface of the nail, the better Shellac will stick to it - natural nail clients LOVE this about Shellac.

The worst nails to apply Shellac to are nails that have been buffed previous to wearing it .. i.e. clients that have worn enhancements who may have had their nail over buffed by the technician or who have picked enhancements off themselves. The healthier the nail, the more Shellac loves it.

Hi hun, the only reason I was thinking of adding another line to Shellac is because I love glitter however another geek pointed out to me that I could add glitter to the shellac service, base, colour, glitter, topcoat:eek:
Now why didn't I think of that:rolleyes:
Not only does it work, we've been doing glitter gel toes for years, but it's cheeper then buying lots of glitter colours.
On to none glitter colours, CND are launching more colours at excell next month and you can layer the colours to create different looks. So it's a lot more versitile then the original 12 colours and once again keeps your outlay to a minimum:lol:

i have used both geleration and shellac.
i think shellac is excellent.. so much easier to use and never have any problems using it! :green:

I use Gelish and Shellac. I love both. Although, I actually haven't been asked for any of the Shellac colours in a while. I show my clients all the colours I have and lately they've been picking a Gelish colour. Black Shadow has been very popular. Have been using Shellac base and top coat over Minx.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Does layering them really work? I havnt tried that as a friend of mine told me it looks bad but thats silly of me to not try it myself! Putting glitter over them now why didnt I think of that!! Thanks everyone for your help, feeling more confident now:green:

I have Good Gossip over Bella's Vampire and it is lush. My 1st time having a layer :green:

Layering with Gelish works a treat! :)
xx

I use Shellac and Gelish. 99% of my clients come back every 3 weeks for reshellac/gelish, only a handful come in every 2 weeks. In all honesty clients are not that interested in the difference between the two, no mater how much I bore them with the difference! They just want good results.... which they get with both products. Gelish has the edge purely on colour choice glitters (also the bottles are larger). Having said that I shall be addding the new colours of Shellac when they are launched x

Gelish does not have to have the nail buffed 1st. Mine NEVER are :confused:

Does layering them really work? I havnt tried that as a friend of mine told me it looks bad but thats silly of me to not try it myself! Putting glitter over them now why didnt I think of that!! Thanks everyone for your help, feeling more confident now:green:

yes Shellac can be layered
mizzy_dizzy-albums-shellac-picture29065-shellac-colors.jpg

And glitter and the like can be added
mizzy_dizzy-albums-shellac-picture28457-shellac-glitter-stripes-lol.jpg

mizzy_dizzy-albums-shellac-picture32772-shellacart.jpg

I have tried shellac and gelish and most say im a total Gelish Addict xx

had shellac first which was nice got gelish due to lack of colours and wow clients love it loads of new clients from them, if l use shellac now l always use the gelish base and top as the top coat is much harder wearing and there are even more colours being added now x

Do you need a specific nail lamp for shellac and gellish? Are there ay training courses near Luton, Bedfordshire for either?:eek:

Hi, For Gelish You just need a 36 watt lamp, this will cure your gelish perfectly, providing it is from a reputable supplier.
60 seconds for your base, and 2 minutes per colour coat, 2 minutes top coat cure

You also have the option of using an LED light for a faster cure which is VERY cool should you wish to, its nice and lightweight and smaller than you would think too, so good if you are mobile.
Which will give you a 10 second cure for your base, and 30 seconds per coat of colour and 30 seconds also for your top coat.

But yes, the LED is OPTIONAL Most people are happy working with the uv light,

And for Shellac you would need to purchase the lamp from sweet squared designed specifically to cure shellac and other cnd uv cured products.
Its pretty cool too... I am sure someone from cnd will be able to give you further information on their lamp if required though
:hug:

Can you tell me if you can purchase A small starter kit with Gelish & do you need training?? Thanks :)

Do you need a specific nail lamp for shellac and gellish? Are there ay training courses near Luton, Bedfordshire for either?:eek:

There are courses for Gelish in North London or Bury St Edmunds. It takes about an hour to Bury St Edmunds not sure on North London. Both are offering Gelish days for £25 + Vat but this is a special price which will be ending soon.
North London contact : [email protected]
Bury St Edmunds Contact: [email protected]

Can you tell me if you can purchase A small starter kit with Gelish & do you need training?? Thanks :)
You can purchase what you like :) We do have ready-made kits which include all you need to get started (bar a lamp) It is then up to you how many colours you would like as to which kit you go for.

No you don't need training BUT we strongly advise a conversion course that will help you use the product to its full effect and can give you tips on use, troubleshooting etc. As mentioned, they are at a VERY good price at the moment

Latest posts

Back