Shellac getting thinner?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find azure wish and limeade ok. Just try and do them a wee bit thicker.

I still reckon this thinner less pigmented formulation has something to do with them being needed to cure in the LED lamp they're bringing out in the near future.

I for one dont want to be buying wishy washy colours and hate all the ones thar are limeade is a great colour but it being fairly sheer ruins it so I dont wear it. Grapegum was a big disappointment and I have decided to use those ones on me to get rid of them from my collection and make space for solid good quality colours. If they all go like that I would be gutted shellac has been the best creation

if it is waffle thats great for those wanting to change over to LED but not for us who wish to continue using our current shellac lamps

kx

I still reckon this thinner less pigmented formulation has something to do with them being needed to cure in the LED lamp they're bringing out in the near future.

In this current cut-throat, discount/undercutting city, I for one do not want to have to apply 3 coats of any product as it just eats into my profit.

Shellac bottles only hold 7.5ml as it is, most of the other gel polishes are double that at 15ml so based on past Shellac viscosity you would get approx 20 sets of shellac and 40 sets of Gelish/ACG/Geleration etc. Now if we're having to do 3 on colour coats then it's definitely affecting cost per service.

It's not quite so bad when you think of the costs of other gel polishes, as although you get double the product you're not paying double the price for it as it's cheaper per bottle than Shellac in the first place.

So for all those techs offering Shellac for rock bottom prices, have you seriously done the maths???

Well said Lisa

It's a first time I started thinking about offering Gelish.....

Great range of colours, great product, and different so may appeal to a different customer base x

I'm curious to see if anyone has any official answers as to whether or not the formula has changed to be able to be cured by LED.

Awwww No, i was thinking of changing over to shellac. Maybe it is just a bad batch??

Awwww No, i was thinking of changing over to shellac. Maybe it is just a bad batch??

I very much doubt it. The viscosity changed for me back with the Spring time collection.

Has anybody actually spoken to CND/Sweet Squared about this problem?

Not much point getting into it on here. Your better off speaking to someone at s2. I'm sure they will be able to shed some light on the situation

Just to add my opinion (I agree some have got thinner). Just wish the top coat was thinner! Or is it just me? My top coats are so gloopy! Lol x

I dont think it would be thinner because of introducing an led lamp, we have another brand of power polish we use we led and that is a full coverage, it just sets it faster. Some of the other girls in my salon have said that some of new ones especially the newer collections but i havent come accross it yet

I think they have the problem when its a new bottle, so might be the mix, you really have to shake to wake 😊 or when its been used a few times it seems much better?? I have 5 nail techs and I would say 95% of people ask for Shellac instead of OPI gelcolour or gelish, I do love the new Autumn colour and it is only the dark dahlia that we have had to do 3 coats of, hope this helps

There is a way to work with the thinness so you just do the two coats if that's appropriate to the colour. My EA showed me how to paint the second coat on all five nails, but before placing in the lamp take another small amount on the brush and go over the nails lightly before curing.

It might help those of you who are worried about increasing your service time. I'm still a lost cause with mine so another two minutes isn't going to make an impact. :lol:

There is a way to work with the thinness so you just do the two coats if that's appropriate to the colour. My EA showed me how to paint the second coat on all five nails, but before placing in the lamp take another small amount on the brush and go over the nails lightly before curing.

It might help those of you who are worried about increasing your service time. I'm still a lost cause with mine so another two minutes isn't going to make an impact. :lol:

I think that most people are more worried about COST per service as opposed to time per service.

If your're doing 3 coats for just colour and then god forbid the client then wants an effect coat added (i.e. Mother of Pearl, M&R, Silver VIP etc) then that's 4 coats so basically you've just used the same amount of Shellac colour product you would've done if you were treating 2 clients.

These things should be taken into consideration really as it all adds up, especially when there is SO much undercutting going on.

I have been on the phone with Dr Dave Valia for the last 40 minutes. It took him 5 of those 40minutes to alleviate any worry on 'thinning'!!

Firstly there is no QC problem and no changes other than the 'settling' agent. If anyone feels it is thinner he has assured me it can be due to shipping and all it needs is a really good shake - which is what we should be doing anyway.

He also suggested grabbing an 'orangewood' stick and popping it thru the top of the bottle to agitate the colour further if needs be. Hope this helps! :idea:

I have been on the phone with Dr Dave Valia for the last 40 minutes. It took him 5 of those 40minutes to alleviate any worry on 'thinning'!!

Firstly there is no QC problem and no changes other than the 'settling' agent. If anyone feels it is thinner he has assured me it can be due to shipping and all it needs is a really good shake - which is what we should be doing anyway.

He also suggested grabbing an 'orangewood' stick and popping it thru the top of the bottle to agitate the colour further if needs be. Hope this helps! :idea:

Thanks for looking into it for us, I am going to give that a go and hopefully it will work x

Good news! Thanks :)

I am pleased to hear this. I must say i did have this with a few of my Gelicure colours. Yes, now i am still happy to change over to CND Shellac!

Latest posts

Back