Shellac Issue

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nimsay

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, I did a set of Shellac Asphalt last night and for some reason when i came to do the top coat the brush ended up covered in Asphalt and it looked as if it had just been wiped off of the nail!? I had to completely re-apply 2 nails, all the rest were fine. I have never had this problem before. I have racked my brains trying to think what may have caused this...My lamp is near new so can't be that its not curing properly, I didn't think I applied it too thick :rolleyes:

Has anyone had this issue before and knows what the problem is?

X

Hi Geeks, I did a set of Shellac Asphalt last night and for some reason when i came to do the top coat the brush ended up covered in Asphalt and it looked as if it had just been wiped off of the nail!? I had to completely re-apply 2 nails, all the rest were fine. I have never had this problem before. I have racked my brains trying to think what may have caused this...My lamp is near new so can't be that its not curing properly, I didn't think I applied it too thick :rolleyes:

Has anyone had this issue before and knows what the problem is?

X

i'd check your lamp and make sure all 4 bulbs are coming on x

What lamp are you using? if it is not the CND lamp then that is the problem.
Are you using the whole Shellac system, scrubfresh, shellac base and top coats?
Did you cure it for the full 2 mins and not accidentally for 10 seconds? I have done that before.
If you run through your steps with us we could probably give you some more answers but as you haven't said what you are using we cant fully advise you
Jen xx

The first thought that comes to mind is under curing.

Thanks for your quick response guys!!

Yeah I use the whole CND system including the new lamp..My steps are:

Cool Blue
shape nails using 240 grit file
Cuticle away with curette and pusher
wash away with soap and water
scrub fresh
base cured for 10 seconds
colour cured for 2 mins
colour cured for 2 mins
top coat cured for 2 seconds
D sperse

It was only on two nails which I thought was really strange :s I am quite new to shellac, only had it for about 2 months, absolutely loving it but don't seem to find it as easy to use as other people :confused: when I can definitely going to go on the Shellac brings them back course I think!!

X

I assume you mean 2 mins for top coat not 2 seconds....:lol:

I had a problem the other day with Red Baroness, I had left my products in the car while I went to the shops on a really cold day before I went to the client so thought maybe that could have been the problem, once they had all warmed up everything went back to normal (did 2 clients)

Only other thing I can think is that you have applied too thickly? (doesn't seem likely tho??)

If its bulb related the problem would be on both hands surely? Hmm that discounts my first theory for you then....... Oh poo I'm not help lol!!

I assume you mean 2 mins for top coat not 2 seconds....:lol:

I had a problem the other day with Red Baroness, I had left my products in the car while I went to the shops on a really cold day before I went to the client so thought maybe that could have been the problem, once they had all warmed up everything went back to normal (did 2 clients)

Only other thing I can think is that you have applied too thickly? (doesn't seem likely tho??)

If its bulb related the problem would be on both hands surely? Hmm that discounts my first theory for you then....... Oh poo I'm not help lol!!

Yep my bad, 2 Mins :wink2:

I had an issue with one of my first ever sets of shellac with it being too think and wrinkling so have been so conscious of not applying too thick since.

May have an experiment on myself tonight just to eliminate any lamp problems but as you said wouldn't have only been two nails surely!? :grr:

X

Hmm, I think I have cracked it..... You have a weirdness!!! LMAO!!

Hope you get to the bottom of it, silly problems like that are so annoying! Mine was quite hard to apply it sort of slid around on the base coat. I too thought it was lamp related checked bulbs, checked time left on bulbs but no all fine then realised just how cold the products were and once warm were ok but that doesn't sound like it fits, maybe base coat too thick/ thin? x

Did you say you had checked your bulbs? When I used my lamp for the first time, I was about to cure my base, turned it on and immediately noticed the light wasn't as bright, luckily hadn't put my hand in yet and yes, 2 bulbs had become dislodged and weren't coming on. Now every time I'm about to start, I hit the A button to bring it on for 10 secs just to be sure my bulbs are working and haven't come loose.

Did you say you had checked your bulbs? When I used my lamp for the first time, I was about to cure my base, turned it on and immediately noticed the light wasn't as bright, luckily hadn't put my hand in yet and yes, 2 bulbs had become dislodged and weren't coming on. Now every time I'm about to start, I hit the A button to bring it on for 10 secs just to be sure my bulbs are working and haven't come loose.

No I didn't check actually, I didn't notice they looked less bright or anything but will be sure to check later now! Thanks :)

X

I carry my lamp by the handle and find one of my bulbs specifically i always (everytime) have to push in before i start as it moves and then doesnt come on when the rest do. Its vvvv annoying but i just have to check it all the time :-( x

I had the exact same problem only two nails not curing, it was the lamp only one side was working the bulbs had worked loose while I was mobile! Took me 4 days to realise the shame!

Ahh sound like we may have cracked it (hooray) will be checking my bulbs before every use now!!! Thanks for your help guys :D

X

I had a problem like this with asphalt inititally. It needs to be put on very very thin, and can 'pool' on the nail. Quite often I have had to do 3 coats. So if it is not your bulbs maybe it is this. I am new and I get problems too - you are not alone!!

xx

I had a problem like this with asphalt inititally. It needs to be put on very very thin, and can 'pool' on the nail. Quite often I have had to do 3 coats. So if it is not your bulbs maybe it is this. I am new and I get problems too - you are not alone!!

xx

I'm not sure what you mean by it can pool on the nail? All Shellac colours need to be applied thinly but not too thinly. I have used Asphalt a few times now and never had a problem?? And not sure that the application would cause the product to not cure correctly, this would usually indicate a problem with the lamp.

As the others have said, I would check the bulbs are all working.

Sometimes they can become loose, especially if you are mobile, so turn on the lamp and look inside the lamp, you may need to click them all back in again.

Just a thought... have you removed the blue lining from the inside of the lamp?

As the others have said, I would check the bulbs are all working.

Sometimes they can become loose, especially if you are mobile, so turn on the lamp and look inside the lamp, you may need to click them all back in again.

Just a thought... have you removed the blue lining from the inside of the lamp?

I was wondering this aswell actually about the blue lining.

Latest posts

Back