Shellac on children - NOT A DEBATE!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
As it says in the title, I'm asking about Shellac on children BUT I'M NOT ASKING FOR A DEBATE. This thread is NOT about what you personally think is appropriate or not.

My question is this: IF you have applied Shellac to children, have you experienced any issues with the product's durability?
Did you find that it peeled?
OR did it stick the same as to an adult?

I realize that regular nail polish doesn't adhere well to children because of the thin and bendy nature of their nails.

But what of Shellac? It was my understanding that 'that' issue would be alleviated with Shellac and it would stay put.

I've had it stay put on one child, but not on two others.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

I have not used shallac, but I have used gelish on 2 little girls. 1 had no problems with it, the other peeled it off. I did put it down to child though & not the product, she quite happily tells eveyone that she peeled it off, "but mum I promise I won't if my friend does them again" lol.

have done lots of shellac rockstar toes on tweens/teens .. last 3 weeks id say, as aposed to 4+ weeks on adults
planning to add 'posh polish' pedicures - shellac with gems or basic nail art to tweens/teens so will interested to know how others are getting on :)

As it says in the title, I'm asking about Shellac on children BUT I'M NOT ASKING FOR A DEBATE. This thread is NOT about what you personally think is appropriate or not.

My question is this: IF you have applied Shellac to children, have you experienced any issues with the product's durability?
Did you find that it peeled?
OR did it stick the same as to an adult?

I realize that regular nail polish doesn't adhere well to children because of the thin and bendy nature of their nails.

But what of Shellac? It was my understanding that 'that' issue would be alleviated with Shellac and it would stay put.

I've had it stay put on one child, but not on two others.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Is definitely depends on the just how young the child is. I've done Shellac on "pageant" girls ranging from 5 - 12 years old. The durability of the product seemed as varied as their ages.

I've done my nieces nails with shellac and they are 6 and 8
They both did ok lasted about 2 weeks x

CND do advise that wear time of Shellac will be reduced if applied to thin, bendy or damaged nails.

It's your call as a nail professional to assess the nails and decide whether you want to offer it or not ... as always results will be as varied as the individual children but to start on an unstable surface is asking for a shorter life span for Shellac according to CND. Actually I think the same would be true of any product at all in those circumstances.

Hi I've shellac'd my daughter whos 6. Sometimes if shes at school it comes off within a week yet in school holidays she gets about 10 days out of them before they peel off. She's happy either way. (She wants Minx next!!! OMG i've created a Diva!!)

I have also done pamper parties and girls from 7 - 16 years old and it really does depend on individuals as to how long it lasts - a 14 year old bit it off while the younger ones it lasted nearly two weeks. The 16 year old it lasted 3 weeks but she looks after her nails completely. I make sure I use a dehydrator twice and then i find it lasts slightly longer! HTH. x

THANKS ladies!!

Good to know it's not "me" and pretty typical of Shellac on children.
I was worried for a minute there, and utterly confused because on my other clients, the Shellac stays put and doesn't budge.
So I felt awful to have let the client down.:sad:

Thanks again!!

Exactly. I've done young girls who are little divas and their Shellac stays on for the full 2 weeks. And I've done young girls who are hardcore athletes and their Shellac stays on for 5 days. Just depends on the girl.

I'm actually wondering if her meds might also play a part in it?
I've seen meds (thyroid & depressants/anti-anxiety) cause a change in clients nails before.

She's on a few different things, I believe, as the poor child had a difficult birth & infancy.
Now she's on anti-seizure meds (to help with migraines...), BUT only just started those very recently, so I doubt that 'those' would have changed the nail plate yet, probably still only in the 'matrix' if you follow my chain of thought.

She also plays soccer & ringette, but not entirely sure how those would affect her hands. (certainly not soccer anyway aka football? the black and white ball that's kicked about? I know in some places they call it differently? LOL)

Even though soccer is played with the feet, you'd be surprised how hard this sport is on the nails! These girls push and tug on each other; they're in the dirt; and they do handle the ball more than you think. Athletes in general are hard on their nails. I have a lot of them as Shellac clients.

As far as meds, it's been my experience that they affect clients' nails differently or sometimes not at all. One of the most prolific is chemotherapy.

Even though soccer is played with the feet, you'd be surprised how hard this sport is on the nails! These girls push and tug on each other; they're in the dirt; and they do handle the ball more than you think. Athletes in general are hard on their nails. I have a lot of them as Shellac clients.

As far as meds, it's been my experience that they affect clients' nails differently or sometimes not at all. One of the most prolific is chemotherapy.

Totally agree!! I played footie as a child OMG my hands were a real mess. I also agree on the medication. I had a lady who wore nails for years and then a slight change in her tablets (same tablet - different manufacturer) and won't stay on her nails no matter what. So can effect them big time!!!.:rolleyes:

Exactly. I've done young girls who are little divas and their Shellac stays on for the full 2 weeks. And I've done young girls who are hardcore athletes and their Shellac stays on for 5 days. Just depends on the girl.

My daughter is a 5 day shellac wearer. And I haver another little girl 11yr that lasts 3 weeks. DIVA! lol

Thanks again everyone!!

I'm feeling very reassured that it wasn't me.

:hug:

Latest posts

Back