Shellac problems-removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerry0875

Reaction score
Hi all, I trained in shellac in May and just started working for myself and generally have to say I love shellac....my problem with the removal, it just takes ages to get all the residue off the nail. I have researched removal on here and tried the suggestions but im literally pulling my hair out with it. I had a client today and it had lasted lovely but the removal eeek! Took me an hour when I checked my watch and then I was late picking up my children from school and really I wasn't completely satisfied when my client left :( this is such a shame because it is putting me off!

Hi all, I trained in shellac in May and just started working for myself and generally have to say I love shellac....my problem with the removal, it just takes ages to get all the residue off the nail. I have researched removal on here and tried the suggestions but im literally pulling my hair out with it. I had a client today and it had lasted lovely but the removal eeek! Took me an hour when I checked my watch and then I was late picking up my children from school and really I wasn't completely satisfied when my client left :( this is such a shame because it is putting me off!
You need to put your base coat nice and thin, if you apply the base coat too thickly it will affect removal. The base coat is what allows for quick release from the nail.
You also need to make sure that your wraps are on nice and tight, you shouldn't be able to move them or twist them, if you can they are too loose.
Once the 10 mins is up massage the nail and twist and pull off the wrap ONE AT A TIME and use the orange wood stick to gently push off the flakes of shellac, any residue left on the nail you can use a plastic backed pad with D'Solve and really scrub the nail, it will come off.
You haven't really said your steps in your post, but if you do this you should find a big improvement.
Jen x

Oh no! Don't let it put you off. Are you wrapping the fingers up tight enough and saturating the pad with d.solve? Hang in there x

I have just seen that I replied to you on the 10th of June about this same problem. As you are still having this problem I do really think that it would be extremely beneficial for you to go back to your original EA yet as she will be able to see and tell you where you are going wrong. Book yourself a 1-2-1 with her and make sure that you take a client with you who needs removal so that she can actually watch you and see exactly your procedure.
Jen xx

Thanks for replying, yes Jen this is an ongoing problem. I really tried to apply the base coat even thinner, I wrap for 10 and take them off one at a time. The only thing I can think of is that my clients have had cold hands and ridged nails?? They looked really dry and flakey too (my client today) even though I trust she has used solar oil twice daily :/

I'm having the same problem too. If i try and put base coat on any thinner its not covering the nail well and looks patchy just cant get a happy medium. I did use a hot water bottle over my hand yesterday while fingers were wrapped up to soak off and found this helped but still a lot left on nail but seemed to wipe off better with a pad and some desolve. Think i will invest in heated mitts.

Sorry to hear you are having problems too, although I'm glad it's not just me because it's so frustrating I dread removal :( I've spent so much money recently on new training and products I don't want to buy anything else just yet (mitts) x

Is it just happening to one client or all of them? xx

Hi, I've only done three so far and myself. All have been time consuming but one more than others! I seem to spend ages trying to get the residue off the nail after the wraps have been removed :(

What are you using for removal? Shellac wraps? Tinfoil and pad? Acetone or Dsolve? I find i can easily do a soak off in less than 15mins i soak a nail wipe in regular acetone, press so its snug to nail and wrap in a tinfoil wrap after 10 mins nearly all has dissolved from nail, sometimes just need to use wooden stick to remove residue but it removes really easily

I cut a cotton disc in half, then separate it so I have 2 really thin bits of cotton wool. Saturate in acetone, place over nail plate, wrap tin foil round fingers twist the end and fold under finger so it's nice and tight. Then place hands in heated mitts not even 10 mins and it's removed. Hope you get it sorted, heat really helps I wouldn't do a removal without it! Also making sure the cotton wool is tightly wrapped round the finger is a must xx

wow I'm jealous lol! I have tried the shellac wraps and pad soaked in D Solve wrapped in foil. Where am I going wrong #pullingmyhairout :mad:

I used hot pop pink and it took a couple of minutes longer, do you properly time 10 minutes as the solvents evaporate and shellac can harden again, I always have to stick my timer on as I find it hard to judge 10 minutes exactly, especially when I go to do other things or I'm talking. Also, make sure the pad is saturated and the foils/wraps on snug and tight...I find this hard to do on myself and I know they can be fiddly. Do you do base coat, two coats of colour and top coat?

It is the base coat that aids removal so make sure it's thin but not too thin (I know it's difficult) but keep going, you will get there. Shellac is such a lovely product. xx

Hey Kerry if it helps at all you are welcome to try to remove the shellac from my toes (I have brisa on my fingers lol)
I haven't had a prob with removal so I'm sure we can work out what the problem is xxx

Adding heat works for me too

I am having exactly the same problem with removal! But thanks guys I am going to invest in some heated mitts :p

I know there is no buffing with Shellac,but if you buff the top coat off gently without touching the natural nail it goes off sooooo easy:D
By the time that you put the last wrap on,you can start with your first finger.There will be no damage cause you are not filing the actual nail!(I only do it with clients that are in a rush and don't want to wait)

Hello ladies :)

All this talk of removal difficulty is a bit confusing to me. There is no reason Shellac should ever take longer than 10 minutes to remove, and I have never used heat in any situation. The Remover Wraps are designed to hold your own body heat, and do warm up on their own. Adding heat may speed up the process, but only slightly.

I wish I could sit next to you and watch, it's so much easier to troubleshoot that way. The only thing that makes Shellac difficult to remove is if it's applied too thickly-in particular the base coat, or if you aren't using a solvent with 100% Acetone. Please be careful spending too much time scraping the nail plate to remove the shellac, it should be VERY light touches, to just flake off what didn't remove in the wrap. I recently watched one of Doug Schoons videos, and even just soaking in acetone softened the nail plate enough that an orangewood stick scraped the nail during removal. You have to be gentle, and REALLY SOAK that pad before wrapping it around the nail plate.

When you apply the base coat, remember that it's gel properties mean that you can brush what little you have on the nail over and over, until it covers the entire nail plate. Your brush, just out of the bottle and before application, should look wet, but not loaded. It should look almost like there isn't anything on it at all. Trust me, it will still be enough.

I hope you solve your issues soon ladies, remember that whenever something is working harder, there is always a solution thats smarter ;) CND Products are designed for YOU, and they are constantly re-formulating products and techniques to fit your needs.

I do strongly recommend a one-on-one with an Education Ambassador if it continues to be a problem. Good luck!

Thankyou for your replies :) I am going to remove my friends later (thanku Lucy) who is also trained in Shellac so hopefully between the two of us we may be able to sort out my problem :)

Have you got removal sorted now? 😄

Latest posts

Back