Shellac removal prices, and clients with polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiebbaby

Reaction score
Hi guys I got two questions to pick your brains with. Firstly if a client comes to you and they have polish on their natural nails either hands or feet does this annoy you? Only lately I have been doing lots of minxing and shellacing and finding alot of the new clients having black mainly enamel on the nails :twisted::twisted: and dont seem to flinch and expect me to sit there and scrub it off for them before I start, and im talking cheap highstreet stuff which has been painted over and over,, :sad: it just annoys the hell out of me, I would not dream of doing that. I had a group of ladies today whom the first one had polish on her toes bright pink, I politely gave her my remover and said would she be able to remove her polish whilst I am setting up and then told the other ladies the same. What do you all do in situations like this, I know when doing rebalances on enhancments it does not bother me as I will just file away with old file first, whilst de-bulking.

Secondly how are you all encorporating shellac removal into your prices? I didn't even consider this when begining to offer this and now the past two weeks I have started having re-booking for new colour I am begining to wander if I should of stated this in the begining? I charge £15 for colour or £17 for french and they get same as minx manicure or file and polish. Yet when returning in 2-3 weeks I am using remover etc, at the moment I am using cotton wall balls soaked in acetone placed on nail and wrapped in pre cut foil 5-10 mins i remove and voila,,,,,. Should I charge an extra £5 for this as it takes 15mins approx cost etc or should I just leave it as the price it is. I currently charge £12 for removal of enhancments, yet not many clients have removals, but I think shellac users will be more inclined to pay than do it themselves, as I find they are more concerned about there natural nails than the die hard L&P P&W users lol..iygwim xxxx

Thanks guys x

Personally it doesn't bother me when clients turn up with nail polish on, it only takes a couple of minutes to remove it. I wouldn't ever ask them to do it themselves even if they offer. Once they are through my door then I look after them. If you are bothered then add a little on to the cost by adding this to your treatment menu. You must let them know before they arrive that they should remove any nail colour they may have, although, I warn you, they hardly ever do this properly.

The same goes for the Shellac removal, you could give them the option of removing it at home or paying you to do it. I use Gelish, but I have included this in my fee so you may want to revise your prices.

It is annoying when we realise that we have made a mistake or missed something when we are costing something but don't hold back from revising your prices if you need to. :D

When I book in for eyelashes the lady says come with out make up on ,
So I do ,
If it bugs you that much then tell them when they book, to be polish free for there app,
They wont know unless you say so ,

Personally I think it is kind of part of the job and part of my prep to to go over there nails with a polish remover/ scrubfresh type product anyway so it makes no difference.

As for shellac removal if they are having a re-shellac then the removal is free and they pay the shellac price. , for some one who is only having removal then it is 6 pounds.
I have the pre packed 10 shellac wraps in a bag for the paying clients ,
And a big bag of loose wraps for the non paying clients,

When I book in for eyelashes the lady says come with out make up on ,
So I do ,
If it bugs you that much then tell them when they book, to be polish free for there app,
They wont know unless you say so ,

Personally I think it is kind of part of the job and part of my prep to to go over there nails with a polish remover/ scrubfresh type product anyway so it makes no difference.

As for shellac removal if they are having a re-shellac then the removal is free and they pay the shellac price. , for some one who is only having removal then it is 6 pounds.
I have the pre packed 10 shellac wraps in a bag for the paying clients ,
And a big bag of loose wraps for the non paying clients,

Seriously I do thorough prep and scrub fresh would not do the job of removing black polish which is 3 layers deep :suprised::suprised:, it takes me to use acetone and scrub and scrub,,its not asbout cost it;s more about how long it takes and inconvenience, I am not bothered if they have L&P on its only new clients on natural nails that get me really wound up lately the ones who seem to think its my job to do this, Usually would not bother me but when I have had 8 clients today all with thick polish on it gets a little annoying. I do try to remind clients when they book but tbh I am that busy lately I do forget, or if group booking I cant tell everyone in group,,, iygwim xxx

I do know what you mean but maybe use the foil method on them then you can set up while the remover sits on the polish for a few? I find holding the pad with remover on much quicker than scrubbing, , maybe you need to add it to your business/ appointment cards? Or if it is over the phone bookings or on line then add it to a conformation text / e mail
You could write up one template text / e mail save it and just foreword it with the date/ time of there app and some info , like cancelation policy and come with nails free of polish ect...
I don't do tans so not sure but don't you have to do this for tans they need to exfoliate before they come right?
Another thing is to talk your client through proper polish application , and maybe sell them a better polish or at least base and top coat ,

This is my first post, and just my own opinion, but I cannot imagine NOT removing my client's polish. I consider it my job. I've never considered not doing it. If the polish is not coming off easily just hold the remover/pad on it for a few seconds. If a tech told me to remove my own polish either before or during a service, I'd find another tech.

I do not mean to offend you at all, but this is my opinion.

I had a group of ladies today whom the first one had polish on her toes bright pink, I politely gave her my remover and said would she be able to remove her polish whilst I am setting up and then told the other ladies the same. What do you all do in situations like this,

Personally, I would never ask my client to remover her own polish. IMHO, that is part of the service they are PAYING for.

Did you charge them less because they removed their own polish? Do you charge more if you remove it?

Secondly how are you all encorporating shellac removal into your prices? I didn't even consider this when begining to offer this and now the past two weeks I have started having re-booking for new colour I am begining to wander if I should of stated this in the begining? I charge £15 for colour or £17 for french and they get same as minx manicure or file and polish. Yet when returning in 2-3 weeks I am using remover etc, at the moment I am using cotton wall balls soaked in acetone placed on nail and wrapped in pre cut foil 5-10 mins i remove and voila,,,,,. Should I charge an extra £5 for this as it takes 15mins approx cost etc or should I just leave it as the price it is. I currently charge £12 for removal of enhancments, yet not many clients have removals, but I think shellac users will be more inclined to pay than do it themselves, as I find they are more concerned about there natural nails than the die hard L&P P&W users lol..iygwim xxxx

Thanks guys x
Im charging....

Shellac Colour...£20
ReShellac Colour...£25

Shallac French...£23
ReShellac French...£28

Shellac Glitter...£25
ReShellac Glitter...£30

Shellac Removal Only...£10

I find that L&P clients tend to pull off their enhancements rather than pay for a soak off. I think Shellac clients will want to pay for a soak has they are unable to pull them off :lol:

If a tech told me to remove my own polish either before or during a service, I'd find another tech.

I feel the EXACT same way!

I am not bothered if they have L&P on its only new clients on natural nails that get me really wound up lately the ones who seem to think its my job to do this,

IMHO, removing polish IS part of our jobs as nail professionals. I'm almost shocked that someone would think it's not part of the job.

Thanks guys, but i'm sure you know the types I mean, the in one ear out the other. As I said in prev post, I am lately getting very wise to client types and know when to go out of my way or give them a wide birth. Why is it some clients think WE owe them for there custom? yes they are customers, and for that they get 100% out of me, beut when they start taking the mick, I get little anoyed lately lol,,,,,

I had a regular booked in the other day for 8 spray tans at say 2 oclock and I got there 15mins late as we all know is ok, as in late terms, there was only 2 ladys there, which proceeded to tell me oh the others wont be here till between 5-6,,,ohh wot the,,,,, I politely replied well I have a rebalance at 5pm and a pedicure straight after but because I was late would push it untill 5.20, she said she thought she booked in for 2 hr appointment,,,noo I booked her in between 2-4 so she choose 2 pm it would only take me just under 10 mins per client so wouldnt take me that long, so it was a good job I was late otherwise I would be sitting there waiting for aunties to get off the train,, as it was I did sit waiting inbetween clients, on one occasion I had to go down and ask who was next, then to be told she went to get her from station :mad:,,,, by the time I got out of there it was 6,20,,,,so client got her own way, and for that they paid me face value ( which was cheap as I have value offer on with my la tans) now I dont mind but when you feel like you told them youhad to be else where, I waited etc, and still paid me the minimum,,,,,,:(

I really feel like not doing this client again. Yet I have another client whom also gets regular minx partys and tans yet they all tip very well, and they are not as well off as other ladys,,, I will go out of my way for people like this, but not for the latter.

Do you all find situations like this? is it because now I can afford to say no I am being more picky? or should I just be a bit more vocal, and tell clients like that at the time, no im sorry I cant wait??? sorry for rant as you can tell im wound up tonight ha ha xx

Normally I dont mind with nail colour removal- but i know the type of black you mean, thick no base cheap, as one of my clients uses it and it is a complete pig to get off. Normally it only takes a few minutes removal but when its this particular client I know it takes a lot longer then usual. I just grit my teeth and work as quick as possible!
For shellac, for 1 colour I charge £20, french £23 and when re-shellacing the price of removal is included. If they want just removal (nobody has yet, touch wood!) I charge £10 to cover petrol and will remove however many need removing.
I've not yet had a problem with late clients as I'm mobile and go to them- I dont seem to do many parties. I have had one client (a neighbour) think I had all the time in the world for her appointment as she is just across the road but once she was 30mins late I told her there was not enough time for her appointment and she'd have to re-book. I wouldnt keep the next customer waiting as that may put them off re-booking with me in the future. I'm almost never late for a client as i respect their time so i expect them to have the same respect for mine, if they dont then they dont get their service.

Personally, I would never ask my client to remover her own polish. IMHO, that is part of the service they are PAYING for.

Did you charge them less because they removed their own polish? Do you charge more if you remove it?

If I applied the polish then no, I dont't find it a problem,,,and no its not part of the service there paying for if they are a NEW client. My post was stating that I find it annoying when I have had clients whom EXPECT ME to take off there 4 month old deep pigmented, re painted polish, the ones who go 'omg sorry i forgot' is different, I can understand that. But when I have 5 girls sat there and all have polish on, I will ask the next one to remove her enamel (if new client or not my enamel, shellac or minx,,,,would you remove enhancments for free????? same principal in my eyes.

Im charging....

Shellac Colour...£20
ReShellac Colour...£25

Shallac French...£23
ReShellac French...£28

Shellac Glitter...£25
ReShellac Glitter...£30

Shellac Removal Only...£10

I find that L&P clients tend to pull off their enhancements rather than pay for a soak off. I think Shellac clients will want to pay for a soak has they are unable to pull them off :lol:

Thanks Karen,,,, I hope someone sees where I am coming from a little bit lol xx

If would you remove enhancments for free????? same principal in my eyes.

How could removing enhancements possably be the same ball park as removing polish ?

It's not,, maybe bit of an over exageration.... I would never charge to remove enamel, but I am just stating how annoying it is when its happening more and more, and yes I should probably remind clients before hand, and when I do get clients whom forget or I forget, and its a group say, then no, I do not see a problem in asking them if they want to start to remove there enamel as surely this is what I was asking on the phone??? NO?

I have posted recently on shellac removal, I inform minx clients on removal, the same for everything, do some clients listen??? xxx:(

IMHO, removing polish IS part of our jobs as nail professionals. I'm almost shocked that someone would think it's not part of the job.

:( Removing OTHER peoples work is NOT part of MY job, maybe yours, I think you are missing my point here,,

If I applied the polish then no, I dont't find it a problem,,,and no its not part of the service there paying for if they are a NEW client. My post was stating that I find it annoying when I have had clients whom EXPECT ME to take off there 4 month old deep pigmented, re painted polish, the ones who go 'omg sorry i forgot' is different, I can understand that. But when I have 5 girls sat there and all have polish on, I will ask the next one to remove her enamel (if new client or not my enamel, shellac or minx,,,,would you remove enhancments for free????? same principal in my eyes.

Completly agree!
I do not mind at all removing varnish that I have applied, or even if its been applied probably by themselves or elsewhere, but really dont like it & find it very annoying too, when it is layered thick colour(s) too, (you know the one; wipe black colour off, has red underneath, wipe red off, has pink underneath etc etc), or equally worse I have had many client who flood the cuticle & that is so hard to get off, & it always seems to be a dark colour (that has stained the nail as no base coat has been used) to take off & a french they want me to paint.
So hun, I completly sympathise with you ;)

As for the Shellac I charge;
Shellac Manicure or Pedicure - £20
Shellac French Manicure or Pedicure - £25
Shellac Manicure & Pedicure - £35
Shellac French Manicure & Pedicure - £45
All include complimentory removal if needed, cuticle tidy & colour

I have got a special offer for May & June; Shellac Manicure or Pedicure £15, (& most clients have had their nails re-shellaced in this offer price as well) x:Dx

I include the removal fee in my shellac service. It's a lot easier that way.

And about removing polish... I really don't see the problem. I rather remove the polish myself than to hand the cotton pads and polish remover over to the client because they'll just make a bigger mess and probably won't be able to remove it properly anyways. I'll still have to go back and clean them myself, so what's the point? I'm wasting my own product by letting them handle it.

If it's really stressing you out, try using acetone. That's what I use for clients who wear 20 coats of glitter polish. Seriously, I HATE OPI's Mad as a Hatter now. It's like the polish was specifically designed to make my life harder :D

I totaly hate removing dark colour polish. So i usually either remove it with pure acetone (once to remove polish, then with a clean cotton but to remove any stain left on the finger) and soak them in warm soapy water. Sometimes if clients see the extra time used for that they usualy then make sure they do it at home.

Concerning the soak off: I dont charge clients extra if the are booked for a new overlay or set as well. But if they only come to soak off. I then do charge them. Just my little extra. Make sure ur clients know thats how u work. This ensure that they book for both at one day or they must pay seperate for each treatment.

If u dont want to do it as an added extra, just charge them less than normal soak off price if they do their nails again the same day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Latest posts

Back